Vodka

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Vodka

Postby Hill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Has anyone played around with different base products for vodka and done comparisons, I know people have been trying different stills and comparing product but just wondering if anyone has tried say a sugar wash compared a wheat mash.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Re: Vodka

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:26 pm

I haven't done an all-grain wheat mash (yet), but I have compared a sugar wash with the Wheat flakes (All Bran Wheat Flakes) recipe.

The All Bran wheat flakes was a lot smoother, and had that body or mouthfeel that a vodka drinker is looking for. A sugar wash does not have this...it's really a question of complexity for those who are vodka connoisseurs. If you're just making a neutral to mix other flavours with, don't worry about it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I like my vodka though, and swear by the wheat flakes recipe (aka Rad's All Bran - even though it's not All Bran, but All Bran branded wheat flakes).
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Hill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks Brendan that's exactly what I thought.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Now that you've brought this up, I might add my version of this to the recipes thread.

Just realised I'd never posted it. :-D
Brendan

Postby crow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Flour works to, just its a turd to rack
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm

btw if anyone comes a cross a supplier for true red wheat sing out loud...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

bt1 wrote:btw if anyone comes a cross a supplier for true red wheat sing out loud...

bt1

Seems there are few different variety of feed wheat that are classed as red grain.

Whats the benefits of this?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Hill » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Has anyone tried malted wheat, I would have thought that would be the go
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby crow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Not sure of your angle here guys, vodka is generally made to have as little flavour as possible. I think red wheat might add a spice and malt would add a malt flavour that might be hard to remove. Malt might be the go if you were some where sugar couldn't be obtained or was much more than malt but otherwise ...just sayin
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Howdy,

tradionally red wheat is the premium grain source for special limited run drinks. It's apparently softer has less protein and more starch , near ideal for our needs.

it has been used for several hundred years for special editions and is used to celebrate special events. Sounds bloody lovely to me.

I think I have an event to celebrate...bring it on!

bt1
bt1

Postby Brendan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm with you bt1.

Crow, for those of us that like our vodka, a sugar wash is just horrible...all grain wheat is how it's done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As for flavour, I wouldn't think so. Not if you're running it properly for a good neutral...it's more about the mouthfeel and aftertaste that carry over from wheat...drink a sugar wash in comparison, and it's more watery with an unpleasant afterbite.
Brendan

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm

+1 Brendan, ( I got it right this time...checked :D )

My grand father had a word for avg stuff... robho.. . which I think still means =shit

He used to get hold of an import that cost plenty but geez was it nice.

There's a long walk between a well made sugar head and a good Vodka imho.

bt1
bt1

Postby invisigoth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:08 pm

bt1 wrote: It's apparently softer has less protein and more starch , near ideal for our needs.

hmm, then why not polished sake rice? the starch is concentrated in the middle of the grain so the polishing strips away the fat and proteins. :whistle:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Good point,

Guess it a cultural thing never the two met...no reason not to give it a crack.

I'm pretty much committed to bourbons and the Irish...wish I had the energy to try this...
bt1
bt1

Postby crow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 pm

invisigoth wrote:
bt1 wrote: It's apparently softer has less protein and more starch , near ideal for our needs.

hmm, then why not polished sake rice? the starch is concentrated in the middle of the grain so the polishing strips away the fat and proteins. :whistle:

Some members (and ex member) tried this and reported that it was awful I'm just on my phone now so it would be to hard for me to find it but I'm sure a quick search and you will see . Similar results are reported on other forums with (to my knowledge) one single exception by some Koreans but they used a certain enzyme and a very particular Asian yeast
crow

Postby invisigoth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 pm

crow wrote:Some members (and ex member) tried this and reported that it was awful I'm just on my phone now so it would be to hard for me to find it but I'm sure a quick search and you will see . Similar results are reported on other forums with (to my knowledge) one single exception by some Koreans but they used a certain enzyme and a very particular Asian yeast

hmm. without those threads it's hard to say. like, "were they trying to make shochu (potstill) or where they running a vodka setup?", "where they using proper sake rice or whatever they could find at the supermarket?", "was the rice polished?".

i'm in the process of getting raw material together to make shochu as part of my unmalted grains experiments. i'll start a thread in recipe development with my findings. ;-)
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby crow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Ok yep I was talking about rice vodka as per the thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 am

I concur with Brendan, the input of the wheat based cereal makes for a wheat flavour and mouth feel a vodka drinker is after. I use weetbix. It gives some soul.
Mark

equipment: pda-1 w/ext
15 gal ss boiler

Postby bt1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 am

Stayin on wheat for a tick got a small story...about embarrassing the hell out of myself...

Last year I think ??? went to a serious large fodder place here in Adelaide next to our horse trotting track with 2 mates...They go every fortnight spend plenty and load up a tandem trailer with horse fodder, pellets, chaf etc.

I told the bloke I was after "fresh" new season wheat...in a full office full of ppl including two mates, he burst into laughter...

"f^&k mate (in deep accent) they keep the shit in silos for years how the f&*k do you expect to get fresh" or words to that effect.

Left feeling a true wanker.

So if anyone know how to get new seasons wheat without approaching growers please let me know...would love to finally get this monkey off my back.

embarrassed, not thought through,
bt1
bt1

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:37 am

There is a web site with grain for sale from farmers probably have to buy a ton.
wynnum1

Next

Return to Recipe Development