Tomato paste wash?!?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 pm

kingy wrote:

Kingy, I assume you are flavouring the nuetrel with bourbon essence? Or oaking it?[/quote]

Yea I flavored 2 litres with essence and Oaked 2 litres. Ended up blending them.

Can't wait till me kegs full of stripped uj to run through tho to compare.[/quote]

Thought so, just didn't want anyone reading this think you can have bourbon straight off the still from a TPW ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby nanna » Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 pm

My Hubby reckond the TPW is too sweet any way to dumb it down
nanna

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 02, 2013 1:37 pm

nanna wrote:My Hubby reckond the TPW is too sweet any way to dumb it down

Sometimes that sweetness can be heads in the cuts... They have a sweeter smell and taste than hearts in a TPW run. Sweeter to smell but more headachy the next day that's for sure.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Distillnation » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Did you mix with an essence or was it straight? How were your cuts?

I can't say I've ever had a TPW come out sweet. Or any wash at that.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby nanna » Thu May 02, 2013 1:45 pm

we mix will top shelf whisky essence
nanna

Postby Distillnation » Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm

nanna wrote:we mix will top shelf whisky essence

I'm going to assume that you diluted the spirit to the usual strength and mixed it per usual.

How were the cuts you took? I'm going to agree with BackyardBrewer here and say that you might have a bit of heads in your product that is leading to that "sweetness".

How big are the cuts you take? 200mL?
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby nanna » Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 pm

In all honesty we dont take cuts .
We throw away the first 500ml the we stop when the stil rises 1 deg higher than the start.
nanna

Postby SBB » Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm

:angry-banghead:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby nanna » Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
nanna

Postby Cane Toad » Thu May 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Well if you're not gunna do cuts etc,you may as well just do turbos,it seems that all the information that is quite easily found on this forum is of absolutely no bloody use to some people :snooty: :snooty: :snooty:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Thu May 02, 2013 2:33 pm

MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby nanna » Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm

:handgestures-thumbdown:
nanna

Postby Brendan » Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm

nanna wrote::handgestures-thumbdown:

Thing is nanna...we here as a collective forum, are enthusiastic about the quality of distilled spirits that we can produce. We try to educate and provide the information needed to achieve this, and encourage thorough researching of the hobby for your own benefit in terms of both health & safety, as well as the quality of the product you make.

Understanding cuts is a key topic in the terms of this hobby, and producing clean appealing spirits. Ignoring them is just going to result in junk. If you are happy with that, well then no one can sway your way of thinking...but don't expect us not to try for your own good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby blond.chap » Thu May 02, 2013 2:55 pm

:text-imwithstupid:

So in answer to your query, you could try taking cuts and see if that solves your problem.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

blond.chap wrote::text-imwithstupid:

So in answer to your query, you could try taking cuts and see if that solves your problem.

I can not add much to what has been said to you already but i can tell you not one good drink has been made EVER without doing proper cuts end of story. ditching the first 500 mls and drinking the rest is some bad advise you might get from an unscrupulous sales person hoping to sell you carbon to clean up an otherwise undrinkable product . Take the advise freely give here or don't (that's your choice) but don't ridical that advise or those giving it particularly when you have expressly asked for it, ok.
It seems to me this advise has been presented to you before which makes me wonder why you are asking questions you should now know the answers to :roll:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Thu May 02, 2013 4:04 pm

crow wrote:but i can tell you not one good drink has been made EVER without doing proper cuts end of story.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to Recipe Development