Tomato paste wash?!?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby SBB » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Pittzee27 wrote:What sort of yeild should I roughly expect after Runnin thru still

Presuming its a 25L wash with 6kg sugar your wash should be around 14% .....a bit high for a TPW, better off keeping it at 12ish.

The manufacturer of your still claims it will put out 92 -3% abv.......going by the calculators that gives a total output of 3.5L
This is before you throw away forshots, which leaves heads, hearts, and tails.
I looked at the Instruction sheet for your still http://www.kegking.com.au/Downloads/Keg ... Manual.pdf
They only tell you to throw away what smells like nail polish remover about 125 ml from memory.
There is no mention of Heads being removed, apparently these are good to drink......make up your own mind there, but I wouldn't drink it.
there is no mention of doing any other cuts as such............pretty piss poor instructions in my opinion.
They do go on to mention tails and that you can take them and re run them, But first they say water down to 50% abv.............40% would be a lot safer.
You'd end with a much better result by getting a heap of jars and making good cuts, keep the heads n tails for the next run. My guess is if you get 1.5 to 2 L of good hearts at 93% you'd be doing well..........My figures could be out as i haven't done a small batch of TPW in ages.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Yeah SBB you're mileage is closer to mine.

I agree that a 25L wash with 6kg sugar & tomato paste yields about 10-15% pure alcohol at 93~95% after stilling.

I consider a 2L harvest of drinkable hearts out of my reflux still per run to be a good haul. I have never got 3.5L out of a TPW...turbo yes but never a TPW.

Still wouldn't go back to turbo, tastes like fuel:-(
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linny » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm

TPW is like 1/4 the price ... just ferment 4x batches ... gives u more than a turbo LOL
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Pittzee27 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Cheers dj freestyla, I'm doin a 50 liter run now! Keen to see how it turns out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pittzee27

equipment: Still spirits

Postby Pittzee27 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Cheers fellas! What would this wash be like thru a pot still? I drink bourbon and rumi have been ageing with oak chips
Pittzee27

equipment: Still spirits

Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Pittzee27 wrote:Cheers fellas! What would this wash be like thru a pot still? I drink bourbon and rumi have been ageing with oak chips

You'd need to run it through twice for a clean neutral vodka.

Once hard and fast for a stripping run to get your low wines then a spirit run to get your finished drinking product.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby kingy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:18 am

After you strip can you store in a fermenter at 40% untill you still it.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 am

I wouldnt mate, much rather use glass or a keg..... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 pm

I very much doubt its possible to get a clean neutral with a strip run and then just one spirit run using a pot still.
If it was that easy people wouldn't go to the trouble they do building reflux stills, experimenting with different packing's and all the other experimentation that goes on.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 pm

SBB wrote:I very much doubt its possible to get a clean neutral with a strip run and then just one spirit run using a pot still.
If it was that easy people wouldn't go to the trouble they do building reflux stills, experimenting with different packing's and all the other experimentation that goes on.

To clean it up more Would you strip twice or spirit run twice ? Or
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Distillnation » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:46 pm

I imagine a double spirit run would be beneficial. Two stripping runs might not be enough to clean up the off flavours/smells for the spirit run. Someone with experience in this might be able to correct me though
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:48 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
SBB wrote:I very much doubt its possible to get a clean neutral with a strip run and then just one spirit run using a pot still.

To clean it up more Would you strip twice or spirit run twice ? Or

Strip twice then a nice slow spirit run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:31 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:To clean it up more Would you strip twice or spirit run twice ? Or

Spoze it depends whether we are taking neutral neutral, or something that tastes like badly made vodkaish type of stuff.
Ive never tried to make neutral with a pot still, so maybe Im wrong, But I would have said do a couple of washes, strip them both,......do a slow spirit run, make good cuts.....keep the hearts, put the heads and tails aside for another day. Take the hearts add lots of water, put them back in the boiler and do another slow spirit run making a second lot of cuts.
Different people have have different ideas of what good neutral should taste like, I recently tasted some that put the best Ive ever made to shame. I believe it came off the still at close to true azeotrope, even at high abv it had very little smell or taste. It really opened my eyes to whats possible, hopefully someday I can achieve a similar result.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby baldoss » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:You'd need to run it through twice for a clean neutral vodka.

Once hard and fast for a stripping run to get your low wines then a spirit run to get your finished drinking product.

Really? By neutral I'm guessing you just mean a spirit with as little flavour as possible that's at whatever the max ABV you can get out of a pot still (approx 70% or thereabouts from what I've read)? Or are you talking a "real" neutral up around 95%? I was under the impression that you can't get anywhere near 90% (or even 80%) let alone that magic 95% mark from a pot. I would be stoked if it turns out I have the option of just running spirits over and over through a pot with some aggressive cuts to get a really good quality, flavourless neutral though :D
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby invisigoth » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 pm

baldoss wrote:Really? By neutral I'm guessing you just mean a spirit with as little flavour as possible that's at whatever the max ABV you can get out of a pot still (approx 70% or thereabouts from what I've read)? Or are you talking a "real" neutral up around 95%? I was under the impression that you can't get anywhere near 90% (or even 80%) let alone that magic 95% mark from a pot. I would be stoked if it turns out I have the option of just running spirits over and over through a pot with some aggressive cuts to get a really good quality, flavourless neutral though :D

not quite true baldos. my strip runs particuarly after the forshots are around 90% and then they drop off. the rum'n'raisin i recently bottled was 3l @48% abv for the strip. what i kept as my final blended cut from the spirit run was 1.4l @81%. the first jar kept was 85% and the last was 74% abv after temperature adjustment. ;-)

after each run if you run it carefully you are going to loose some flavour. even if it's never in the 90's it will eventually get to the point where you can't taste anything. but i suspect it becomes a case of diminishing returns and you are better off using the right tool for the job. :dance:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby googe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I used to get around 86-88% on some low wines tpw with my pot. Striped once and then spirit run will still have flavor. Its one of my fav drinks with coke though :-).
googe

Postby vqstatesman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:55 pm

djfrestyla wrote:Pittzee27,
You should get around 4.5L all up, I keep about 3L of hearts and run the heads & tails through with my next run.
As we speak, I am stripping 180L of TPW.

Hi Djfrestyla, How did your 180L batch go? how much end product did you end up with? Did you work with a normal ratios of ingredients?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby kingy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 pm

googe wrote:I used to get around 86-88% on some low wines tpw with my pot. Striped once and then spirit run will still have flavor. Its one of my fav drinks with coke though :-).

I've only done 1 tpw through my pot. I stripped 50litres once and ended up with 12 litres of low wines. Then a spirit run and ended up with 5 litres at 40%.

I can drink it no problem at all and rate it above the cheaper bourbons from the bottlo.
kingy

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 pm

kingy wrote:
googe wrote:I used to get around 86-88% on some low wines tpw with my pot. Striped once and then spirit run will still have flavor. Its one of my fav drinks with coke though :-).

I've only done 1 tpw through my pot. I stripped 50litres once and ended up with 12 litres of low wines. Then a spirit run and ended up with 5 litres at 40%.

I can drink it no problem at all and rate it above the cheaper bourbons from the bottlo.

Kingy, I assume you are flavouring the nuetrel with bourbon essence? Or oaking it?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Tomato paste wash?!?

Postby kingy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 pm

[/quote]

Kingy, I assume you are flavouring the nuetrel with bourbon essence? Or oaking it?[/quote]

Yea I flavored 2 litres with essence and Oaked 2 litres. Ended up blending them.

Can't wait till me kegs full of stripped uj to run through tho to compare.
kingy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development