corn syrup

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

corn syrup

Postby googe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey all, can anything distilling be done with corn syrup?. I can get it from my supplier and wanted to know.

Also, has anyone done anything with maltose?. Can get that to. Thanks for any feed back.
googe

Re: corn syrup

Postby bt1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 pm

I reckon a corn syrup would be bloody lovely...

i don't think anyone's had a crack...Googe the recipe developer... full steam ahead!

I reckon a lot of us would love to know how this one turns out...

maltose is extensively used for beers why not....

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm

If you can ferment it you can make booze from it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Traditionally spirits have been made with the cheapest ingredients available :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby unsub » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

There's a guy on youtube explaining how to use that to make real moonshine. It's informative but he has a massive go at ujsm and other sugar head wash makers.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

unsub wrote:There's a guy on youtube explaining how to use that to make real moonshine. It's informative but he has a massive go at ujsm and other sugar head wash makers.

Have you got a link for that?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby unsub » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 pm

This guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskxlzIpm2U

There is some useful info but mostly rambling about doing things properly. He is suggesting using corn syrup as a shortcut instead of mashing grain.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Going to do a corn syrup wash tomoz after night shift.ive heard that corn syrup is expensive?ill do a 25 ltr wash tomoz.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:ill go 4 or 5 kgs of corn syrup.
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:23 pm

unsub wrote:This guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskxlzIpm2U

There is some useful info but mostly rambling about doing things properly. He is suggesting using corn syrup as a shortcut instead of mashing grain.

Thanks interesting vid..
He does Ramble on a bit.....
I think I will stick with ujsm or bwko.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby googe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Its been done a bit by the sound of it bt, quiet a few recipes ive found now on hd. I don't know what I'm doing and have no idea why corn if used, just see it mentioned all the time about whiskey and thought I'd ask :laughing-rolling: .looks like I got some studying to do now ive opened my mouth :angry-banghead: where are you getting yours from Jason?, let us know a price. I havnt priced it yet, will do tomorrow. Where I can get it it come s in 475ml lots. Have you got a recipe? ., good luck. Thanks for the link unsub, will look later when ho home.
googe

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Depends what sort of "Corn Syrup" you can get your hands on.

Seems there are a few different types, I remember a while ago seeing dried corn syrup at the brew shop and it was only 30% fermentable. They now have it labelled as malto-dextrin :wtf:

Also seems there is a normal corn syrup and a high fructose corn syrup, I would be assuming the high fructose one would be more desirable.

From a quick google it seems that these corn syrups are almost the same as liquid glucose :think:

Be interesting to see if it even smells like corn?

Let us know how you go googe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

corn syrup

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Mate that's liquid sugar ready to go. I'd snap that up in a heart beat over granulated if the price was right. No dissolving no stirring. Add hot water or backseat and off you go.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm

I can see this thread coming to a screaching halt when yaz get in the supermarket . ya going to need about ten to 12 bottles at $6 to $8 each :think: , Maybe buy some top self and with the change get enough stuff to cover your next 5 UJSM's :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Lol,,yer I was talking to the swmbo,aka,boss,and she confirmed that yer it's expensive and as my testicals are in her purse so to speak,don't think the funds are going to be there for that,,,might go look for some malted corn meal or something around the likes of that.or go a smaller version say,3kgs sugar,2.5kgs corn syrup,25 ltrs water,100grams yeast,Epsom and citric.ill go to the health shops super markets etc,,let you guys know tomoz arvo. :D
jasonc2861

corn syrup

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Lol,,yer I was talking to the swmbo,aka,boss,and she confirmed that yer it's expensive and as my testicals are in her purse so to speak,don't think the funds are going to be there for that,,,might go look for some malted corn meal or something around the likes of that.or go a smaller version say,3kgs sugar,2.5kgs corn syrup,25 ltrs water,100grams yeast,Epsom and citric.ill go to the health shops super markets etc,,let you guys know tomoz arvo. :D

What are you planning on making? Nuetrel?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:Lol,,yer I was talking to the swmbo,aka,boss,and she confirmed that yer it's expensive and as my testicals are in her purse so to speak,don't think the funds are going to be there for that,,,might go look for some malted corn meal or something around the likes of that.or go a smaller version say,3kgs sugar,2.5kgs corn syrup,25 ltrs water,100grams yeast,Epsom and citric.ill go to the health shops super markets etc,,let you guys know tomoz arvo. :D

What are you planning on making? Nuetrel?

Yer just neutral,,waiting till July,,put my order in with the boss,to buy me a pot still from mcstill,for my bday.... :D c how I go....... :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:34 am

If it's just a neutral your chasing JC you might want to rethink this recipe, reckon you'd be better off just going the TPW & leaving the bourbon styled wash's until you get your pot still sorted ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 am

Just got some prices, will be consulting bank manager before I even think about it 8-} .
Corn syrup 470ml~$5.70
trumalt dark 15kg~$97
Treacle 25kg~$82
Liquid caramel black jack 5l~$30
So there ya go, expensive shit!. Wouldn't mind getting some caramel though :think:
googe

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Yer good call macstill,especially after seeing the prices!!! :laughing-rolling:
jasonc2861

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 am

Hey all, I got a price on the maltose. $36 for 25kg. I have been doing some reading about it, some say it's from barley, some.say it's browned glucose. Hd has alot of threads pointing toward it being the sugars from malted barley. Can anyone tell me wtf it actually is?. Thanks for any help, really struggling to understand all this grain stuff!.
googe

Postby wynnum1 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 am

corn syrup would be made from corn what ever process they use to convert the starch to sugar corn is the main source of bio-fuel ETHANOL in the USA .
wynnum1

Next

Return to Recipe Development