corn syrup

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: corn syrup

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 pm

googe wrote:Hey all, I got a price on the maltose. $36 for 25kg. I have been doing some reading about it, some say it's from barley, some.say it's browned glucose. Hd has alot of threads pointing toward it being the sugars from malted barley. Can anyone tell me wtf it actually is?. Thanks for any help, really struggling to understand all this grain stuff!.

:wtf:
googe

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 pm

googe wrote:
googe wrote:Hey all, I got a price on the maltose. $36 for 25kg. I have been doing some reading about it, some say it's from barley, some.say it's browned glucose. Hd has alot of threads pointing toward it being the sugars from malted barley. Can anyone tell me wtf it actually is?. Thanks for any help, really struggling to understand all this grain stuff!.

:wtf:

Are you confused about your own post there googe :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: see how it feels (just kidding)
ok maltrose is basically the sugar from grain recoverd normally through the malting process. If you can get it cheaply you should. this stuff would be great in any mash recipe and I would think substituted fur sucrose in an UJSM should taste something very similar to a full saccharificial mash :handgestures-thumbupleft: , good score go forth and report back
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 2:14 pm

:laughing-rolling: thanks crow :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Just what I wanted to hear :D . So, would you know what sort of quantities I would use in a 30l wash?, or would I need to see how much fermentable sugars there is in the product?, hopefully they will have a labeled on it showing quantities, or have info on it. Thanks again mate.
googe

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 2:43 pm

duno i would think it would be not a whole lot different to sucrose and would consider using identical quantities :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks mate, sorry to make you repeat yourself lol. So, a part mash is UJSM?, and a full would be UJSM with maltose minus the sugar?. Sorry but I really really struggle with this shit lol.
googe

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 pm

googe wrote:Thanks mate, sorry to make you repeat yourself lol. So, a part mash is UJSM?, and a full would be UJSM with maltose minus the sugar?. Sorry but I really really struggle with this shit lol.

yeah.. i mean no I think.. maybe.. what :? :laughing-rolling:
Ok let me start again I think you could do a sugarhead whiskey using maltrose instead of sugar and it may well end up tasting like a cooked mash and yes that is positively a good thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ya do realize ya derailed ya own thread don't ya :laughing-rolling: Don't shoot he dunit
In the interest of members researching this I would suggest that you continue further discussion and reporting results in a thread called or alluding to the use of maltrose
crow

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks mate, don't know what a sugar head whisky is :laughing-rolling: . I was planing on doing a thread on it, will do when I get some and work out a recipe. Thanks again mate.
googe

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Jeezuz googe :shock: go to tried and prove and look for my bourbon knock off, that's one. sugar head : a spirit that uses a fermentable product for flavour sugar to produce the alcohol
crow

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes my son? . I know crow, its like watching a train wreck :laughing-rolling: . Since ive been doing this ive read bugger all about mashing and the such, just been totally focused on building and thinking!!. Want to try different things now my buildings dropped off. I'm excited about doing a whisky and appreciate all your help :D
googe

Previous

Return to Recipe Development