Mash whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mash whiskey

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 pm

50% medium peat & 50% golden promise is what I tried, let's see how it goes.

For anyone else wanting to try something similar a few of us in WA have tried Hilly's gear he made when he put this post up, both Ryno & CHEROKEE who love expensive whisky have said it was real good.... I just mixed it with coke :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm

MacStill wrote:50% medium peat & 50% golden promise is what I tried, let's see how it goes.

For anyone else wanting to try something similar a few of us in WA have tried Hilly's gear he made when he put this post up, both Ryno & CHEROKEE who love expensive whisky have said it was real good.... I just mixed it with coke :))

I too have tried it and i must say, for a rookie..... its not too bad :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Honestly, its really damn good ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm

....... the wait continues..... :!! :-w :-w :-w

DSC_0675.JPG

just over 10 litres @ 63% on 50/50 french & american oak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Mash whiskey

Postby wedwards » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Hill wrote:What happened with your first one wedwards, did the peat malt drop out over a longer person of time to make it more drinkable ?

Nah the peat was still there even after a couple months. It might have gone down a little, but not noticeable enough for my tastes, and with my mates it didn't last that long. Maybe if I left it for 12 months or something it might have gone down more, but I can't be stuffed and want something that's reasonably drinkable straight away with a little oaking so that's why the recipe change. It was still a good drop, I guess I'm just expecting better :)

I'm just using pale malt as that's what I have available from my beer making, but would be interested to see if golden promise provides much of a difference in the flavour profile.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Linny » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Just about to start playing with this type of recipe ,,,, from the guys that have tasted it, would it be better to go 3:1 like hilly or 50:50 like mac ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Linny » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:44 am

Ok since no one wants to comment. Ill change the question who has a opinion on the grain bill
Linny

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:53 am

Linny wrote:Ok since no one wants to comment. Ill change the question who has a opinion on the grain bill

I went 50/50 but it's not quite a scotch, much closer to an Irish mate ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Linny » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks for that. I want to make something somewhere in between with a floral yeast so i will bump the peat a bit and will post the results
Linny

Previous

Return to Recipe Development