Wild turkey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Wild turkey

Postby Bushy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:36 pm

You gonna do a write up Hilly. Big long thread with info on temps and rest times and pictures of your setup and how it works. At the very least we might learn something. At the very most you might get a tried and true out of it ^:)^
I'll even say sorry about the turkey shit comment earlier on. :D
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Hill » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Sure bushy I'm happy to share it all.

65% malted Rye
23% cracked corn
12% ale malt

With my setup ill mash 22kg of grain and should be able to get 40L total just off my first runnings of my mash at about 1080.

I will be mashing
55deg 20min
62deg 45min
68deg 45min

I will mash and run straight out my cooling block into my fermenter and I will be pitching good quantity of hydrated Saf Spirit American Whisky yeast
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Wild turkey mash bill consists of:
75% corn
12% barley (6row)
13% rye
33% sour mash component
Cut from 75-55abv
Rare breed is a blend of 6,8 and 12 year.
Fermentation is done in cypress vats, (ye olde school)
That's their bill, cuts and other stuff :) hope it helps ya out
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Oops, I forgot, the bill yield efficiency is kinda left field, I use 1:4 when I make it, it gives a better conversion and a faster ferment, the lower corn and higher barley work more effectively at 1:4 rather than doing a potential yield.
r.c.barstud

Postby Hill » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:23 pm

There's been a few different recipes RC where did you get yours from.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby r.c.barstud » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:34 pm

From when I worked at jack daniels, I got LOTS of mash bills, I went to a few distilleries and had a poke around, as you do :)
r.c.barstud

Postby Stinger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:47 am

3 questions rc:
r.c.barstud wrote:Wild turkey mash bill consists of:
75% corn
12% barley (6row)
13% rye
33% sour mash component
Cut from 75-55abv

1 - Are we talking rye MALT? (I assume rye malt is preferable for full conversion of the corn).

Hill wrote:Sure bushy I'm happy to share it all.

65% malted Rye
23% cracked corn
12% ale malt

With my setup ill mash 22kg of grain and should be able to get 40L total just off my first runnings of my mash at about 1080.

I will be mashing
55deg 20min
62deg 45min
68deg 45min

I will mash and run straight out my cooling block into my fermenter and I will be pitching good quantity of hydrated Saf Spirit American Whisky yeast

2 - What do you think of the above temperatures? (BTW, they look fine to me.)

AND:

3 - Do you gelatinize the corn prior to mashing?
Stinger

equipment: 3" CM/pot still, 4" bubbler

Postby r.c.barstud » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Malted barley, sacchrification will be required with all grains, each grain requires its own temperatures, I Cooke all grains and add them at their required temps, iodine test will tell you if you have got a proper conversion
r.c.barstud

Postby greenguy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 pm

I gota agree with mac on this one first strip Lil oak and wild turkey there ya go
Won't drink wild turkey any more bloddy stuff kills me swear they mix nothing but heads and tails with wild turkey
Hang over material that stuff
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 am

use a component of malted corn for the yeast element, hangovers will be a thing of the past, cultured yeasts give off esters and shit that give hangovers, natural yeast are great in all grain bills and have not repercussions the next day, combined with good cuts natural yeast is the bomb b :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

Postby Hill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:42 am

So I ran RC's recipe the the other day and was interesting, I had no problem with any type of stuck mash but getting the corn to convert was a nightmare, I mashed at 55deg then 62deg the 68deg total mash time was about 5 hours and was only able to get 1032 :angry-banghead: I did taste the corn and thought it had no real flavor to it, it seamed quite dry and flavorless but did also notice the corn seamed to convert better at the higher temps.
Anyway I banged it into 2 fermenters, 1 with a heap of sugar and the other I have left at the 1032 but done as a sour mash so should be interesting.

Any comments from someone who has had success with corn would be great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Kimbo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:34 am

I was thinking about this too.
what do the big distilleries do?
If you have a lower pH strike water will that help?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby res » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey Hill how'd it turn out? :greetings-waveyellow:
That 75% grain bill is much the same as I use for bourbon, except I do about 70% corn and 15% each of wheat malt and barley malt. I use about 310g of grain per liter to achieve 1.060 sg. Only been messing around really but my bubbler is almost ready and want to fine tune a great recipe to run on mass, a rye variant could be the go. :think:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Brendan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Only just read through this thread. You may know more about it r.c. , but all corn mashings ive seen are done up in the 80 degree range, and then the barley and other grains are added as the temp drops to their appropriate temp ie. mid 60's...

The corn is crushed into a fine powder/meal, as opposed to barley/wheat/rye which are cracked. The fine corn meal is stirred in with the high temp water and held at that temp for mashing. After that it should be a thick porridge-like consistency, which is stirred to bring the temp down to the barley range. Once the barley is added at the right temp, the solution should almost instantly become thinner and more watery as the malted barley is stirred in and the enzymes go to work. The mashing then continues as usual...

That's what I've seen in documentaries anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby res » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Brendan wrote:Only just read through this thread. You may know more about it r.c. , but all corn mashings ive seen are done up in the 80 degree range, and then the barley and other grains are added as the temp drops to their appropriate temp ie. mid 60's...

The corn is crushed into a fine powder/meal, as opposed to barley/wheat/rye which are cracked. The fine corn meal is stirred in with the high temp water and held at that temp for mashing. After that it should be a thick porridge-like consistency, which is stirred to bring the temp down to the barley range. Once the barley is added at the right temp, the solution should almost instantly become thinner and more watery as the malted barley is stirred in and the enzymes go to work. The mashing then continues as usual...

I always mash the corn at high temps:
Add well cracked (but not powder) corn to boiling or close to water and stir regularly for an hour or so while the temp lowers enough to add the malt. Then watch it change from the thick porridge to thin sweet soup. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Brendan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:04 pm

res wrote:
Brendan wrote:Only just read through this thread. You may know more about it r.c. , but all corn mashings ive seen are done up in the 80 degree range, and then the barley and other grains are added as the temp drops to their appropriate temp ie. mid 60's...

Add well cracked (but not powder) corn to boiling or close to water and stir regularly for an hour or so while the temp lowers enough to add the malt. Then watch it change from the thick porridge to thin sweet soup. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's good to hear it from experience res...so you mash finely cracked corn, that isn't pre soaked, an within an hour it's dissolved into a thick profile like consistency?

I thought they had to grind it so fine so that it would absorb the water easily...

I haven't mashed corn yet...planning to in the near future, so it's good to hear from those who have successfully done it at a hobby level :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm at the point now, where I'm about to go all-grain for just about everything, and ditch sugar except for mixing neutral...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby res » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Brendan wrote:
res wrote:

That's good to hear it from experience res...so you mash finely cracked corn, that isn't pre soaked, an within an hour it's dissolved into a thick profile like consistency?

I thought they had to grind it so fine so that it would absorb the water easily...

I haven't mashed corn yet...planning to in the near future, so it's good to hear from those who have successfully done it at a hobby level :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm at the point now, where I'm about to go all-grain for just about everything, and ditch sugar except for mixing neutral...

I use whole corn kernels from the feed store, crack em with corona mill into at least 3 or 4 pieces and keep them hot for at least an hour, the longer the better really. When I have the time to stir I add the corn while the water is getting hot but then they need constant stirring. My corn never completely dissolves like in porridge, instead it's thick stew composed of the outer skin of the corn in a gooey liquid. The skin doesn't breakdown only the starch inside, how thick it is has more to do with the amount of water you start with. After the malted grains it moves more like water again and will drain and sparge well enough. My mashes have been rather small as I had a very small still, soon I plan to run a decent size batch. Good luck with the AG :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Hill » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey res thanks for the info on mashing the corn, that was kinda what I was thinking. Mine is still aging, I've had no time for anything lately so I've just left it but when I had a smell last it smelt like bourbon.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby rossgillespie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 am

r.c.barstud wrote:Wild turkey mash bill consists of:
75% corn
12% barley (6row)
13% rye
33% sour mash component
Cut from 75-55abv
Rare breed is a blend of 6,8 and 12 year.
Fermentation is done in cypress vats, (ye olde school)
That's their bill, cuts and other stuff :) hope it helps ya out

What would be the weights for grain in 40ltr wash?
How does one work out the weights using grain bill %
rossgillespie

equipment: Pure distilling ultra pure with 30ltr boiler

Postby Sam. » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am

There is a great post by blonde.chap somewhere about that exact thing but I'm not digging up the link as I'm only on my phone.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development