Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:32 am

This is something I've been working on for a bit, but is certainly still in it's infancy. I think I've got something here that works, but I'm currently away from the ol' still on a business trip. I tried a bit of the unaged product as it came out, and thought it was pretty good. The rest is aging in a glass jug with a couple slices of pear and apple. If anyone wants, give it a go and see what you think. Please give me some sustainments , and/or improvements...or let me know if you think it's shit and not to waste my time! :-D

Ingredients
-7cups ground malt corn
-20cups cracked yellow corn
-10 Fuji Apples
-10 Red Delicious apples
-10 Bosc pears
-1 1/2 cups chopped raisins
-10lbs white granulated sugar
-3lbs brown sugar
-2 packets of yeast
-10 gal water to make

Ensure all fruit is ripe. Peel, core, and slice all fruit. Bring water to a boil, add cracked corn, fruit, and sugar. Stir continuously with wooden dowel until fruit and corn begin to soften and take on water. Turn heat off, and let the mash cool for about two hours, then stir in the malt completely. Place in fermenter, and allow to cool to approx. 35c(95F), stir in yeast. Allow to ferment for approximately 3 weeks, depending on the temperature and local conditions of course. When ready, filter wash through cloth, strip and distill.

I tried to use apples that I thought the flavor complemented each other, and I picked bosc pears because they have a slightly spicy and aromatic flavor and scent. You might not be able to get these types of apples and pear where you're at though. I think it'd be alright if you picked whatever apples and pears you wanted though.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 am

Mate I'm adding that to my list of recipes for sure. Got a pear tree in the yard and can lay my hands on apples for pretty cheap.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone tried it yet?
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Mate,I totally fucking missed the first post :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: just added a few things to the cooks shopping list for tomorrow :D :D with a pretty please beside the carton of beer :laughing-rolling:
I'll be putting this down this weekend :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: I think Mac was gunna do it too,but he's plum out of fermenters ATM :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Please let me know how it works out for you! As I said, it's a new recipe I'm working on, and any improvements and/or sustainments you can give me would be greatly appreciated! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gummy Bear wrote:with a pretty please beside the carton of beer :laughing-rolling:

More importantly, did you get the beer? :laughing-rolling:
MtnMoonshiner

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 pm

funny thing is he calls her the cook, but whenever you talk to him he's the one cooking :laughing-rolling:

:violence-stickwhack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:00 am

:laughing-rolling: As is the case with so many "cooks" ahahahah
MtnMoonshiner

Postby emptyglass » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 am

I'm starting to think you can make hooch from anything, so long as you got a wooden stick to stir it with :laughing-rolling:
emptyglass

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 pm

WineGlass wrote:I'm starting to think you can make hooch from anything, so long as you got a wooden stick to stir it with :laughing-rolling:

It's a PFM(pure fucking magic) stick!

I use a wooden stick because they're cheap, and they don't scrape the mash tun.

Want my recipe for prison hooch? All you need is some honey glazed doughnuts and filtered apple juice! :laughing-rolling:
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm

WineGlass wrote:I'm starting to think you can make hooch from anything, so long as you got a wooden stick to stir it with :laughing-rolling:

Thats how the vikings did it ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:

Want my recipe for prison hooch? All you need is some honey glazed doughnuts and filtered apple juice! :laughing-rolling:

Yes! Do please elaborate, is it better than pruno? :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
MtnMoonshiner wrote:

Yes! Do please elaborate, is it better than pruno? :laughing-rolling:

There is a particular guy around here who calls bourbon prison juice (you know who you are!) :laughing-rolling: . Poor bugger drinks scotch :scared-eek:

I might not make it (unless inprisoned) but I'd like to hear the story about the doughnut and the apple juice.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 pm

Wonder what the real story is about him being extradited back to SA :scared-eek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Ok,putting a batch of this down tonight :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: smells good enough to eat,looks kinda like apple sauce :handgestures-thumbupleft: Just waiting for it to cool to about 60' so I can chuck in the malt,btw,for any of you Townsville blokes,if you want malted grains or anything to do with our little hobby,Steven from Homebrewers Warehouse is very helpful :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Anyway,true to form,I looked at the recipe and then winged it from there, 1 carton of apples,9 pears (the boy ate the other 3,corn and malted,and 10kg sugar,5 of raw and 5 of white
So all I gotta do now is dump it into the fermenter and add water and yeast,which is where I would usually come unstuck as I don t own a hydrometer,until yesty :handgestures-thumbupleft: So once the sauce is in the fermenter,I just add water till it reads 1.080 or 1.090 and then throw in some yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Fuck this is easy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
I even lashed out and bought a MFS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat May 04, 2013 11:34 am

Yep, that looks about right! Magic stick and all!

Just for the laugh...one large Gatorade bottle 3/4 full of flat apple juice, two honey buns, and a pinch of yeast...wait patiently. Drink at your own peril! BAAAhahaha
MtnMoonshiner

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat May 04, 2013 11:49 am

The story behind it is, that I had a friend get locked up for a few years for our little hobby. He made a killing (not literally) off this hooch. I haven't had the guts to make and try it, but he said it has a taste akin to turpentine haha
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Real vigorous ferment,this one :laughing-rolling: smells pretty damn good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Went and bought a brand new MFS,and a hickory one at that :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Gummy Bear wrote:Real vigorous ferment,this one :laughing-rolling: smells pretty damn good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Went and bought a brand new MFS,and a hickory one at that :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

What yeast did you use? Planning one of these when one of my 9 fermenters gets freed up!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Hey BYB,I used a specialty house yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: the last batch of UJ I did,I threw some of the yeast cake in a coke bottle and put it in the fridge,it was early to mid 20's generation,and thought "why not try and see of it will kick off?"
To my surprise it did,so in it went :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just checked this arvo and looks like its finished,so I'll wait till Thursday arvo,give it a good stir to degas,and run it Saturday or Sunday,I can tell already that this stuff is gunna be good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Now all I gotta do is either find a cheap supplier of apples here in NQ,or find somewhere that sells bulk apple juice :think: :think:
If anyone in SE QLD knows anyone around Stanthorpe or where ever it is they grow apples,let me know please,I can organise the transport no worries :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;-)
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm

And a great many thanks to MtnMoonshiner for sharing his secrets :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Next

Return to Recipe Development