Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Thannks Cupcake - so that was a baker's yeast back 20 generations ago? I just picked up 15kgs of cracked corn to start experimenting with from the feedshop.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: you got it BYB :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:The story behind it is, that I had a friend get locked up for a few years for our little hobby. He made a killing (not literally) off this hooch. I haven't had the guts to make and try it, but he said it has a taste akin to turpentine haha

I hope its a skill I never have to master.
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Cupcake - did you used malted corn? What was your malting process? A soak in hot water and a change of water after 24hours? Feeling like I could drop that and just add a little light dry malt extract instead but interested in what you did re malt corn. I was just going to grab a couple of bags of popcorn corn kernels and start them malting but if I can get out of it faster and easier I will.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Cupcake, you're welcome! Let me know how you like it, and if you think it needs more fruit and less corn. I was leaning on cutting the corn in half, and doubling the fruit. Thoughts?

BYB, idk what cupcake used, but I use malted corn because its cheap and easy...and oddly enough I've most always got some on hand. I'm not sure if it would make a flavor difference. I expect it would, but if you can get away using other kinds of malt, go for it and let me know how it works!
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:32 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:Cupcake, you're welcome! Let me know how you like it, and if you think it needs more fruit and less corn. I was leaning on cutting the corn in half, and doubling the fruit. Thoughts?

BYB, idk what cupcake used, but I use malted corn because its cheap and easy...and oddly enough I've most always got some on hand. I'm not sure if it would make a flavor difference. I expect it would, but if you can get away using other kinds of malt, go for it and let me know how it works!

Do you malt your own? There's a process that would be worth getting documented here too.

Can't wait to get cracking on this but I might be slowed down by needing to malt corn first.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

I always malt my own grain. Tickle was asking about it too...I can post a new thread if its wanted. It's real easy, and only takes about a week for your grain to be malted.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Na mate,I'm too busy,am too :teasing-neener: to malt my own mate,will give it a go one day,I ended up buying a bag of malted corn and just using that :handgestures-thumbupleft: Not real expensive,and the way the mash smells ATM I think I'll be using a lot more of it :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just dump all the unmalted corn and all the apples in the boiler,heat it all up to about 65'et it cool for an hour and then dump in he malt :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: I didn't follow MMS's recipe real close and I didn't even stuff it up :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thought about adding more apples MMS,I've just got to find a supplier of either cheap apples or cheap apple juice :angry-banghead: but never fear,Ive got a few emails pending on sourcing the juice reasonably cheaply :D :D
Cane Toad

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:I always malt my own grain. Tickle was asking about it too...I can post a new thread if its wanted. It's real easy, and only takes about a week for your grain to be malted.

We want brother, we want!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Cupcake wrote:Na mate,I'm too busy,am too :teasing-neener: to malt my own mate,will give it a go one day,I ended up buying a bag of malted corn...

Where did you score malted corn from?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
Cupcake wrote:Na mate,I'm too busy,am too :teasing-neener: to malt my own mate,will give it a go one day,I ended up buying a bag of malted corn...

Where did you score malted corn from?

Since joining this forum, I've learned of so many things one can buy. I had no clue they even sold malted corn!
MtnMoonshiner

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm

BYB, I'll get that malting thread up tomorrow first thing.
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm

From the HOmebrew warehouse in Townsville :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: I thought all HBS's had it
Cane Toad

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Cupcake wrote:From the HOmebrew warehouse in Townsville :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: I thought all HBS's had it

Just rang the local guy here I use...barley and rye not corn. :crying-blue:
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 pm

If you want,I can put some in a post pak :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby Sam. » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Cupcake wrote:If you want,I can put some in a post pak :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You send down the truck with malted corn and we send back the truck with fresh apple juice :D :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Toad » Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 am

If I weren't so busy Sam :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Cupcake wrote:Ok,putting a batch of this down tonight...:

Did you run it yet? How'd it come out if you did?
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Was gunna run last Sunday,but ended up drunk :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: The way is smells ATM I think this will make some real nice gear :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: gunna run it this Saturday,as long as the weather is crap,otherwise it'll be on Sunday
I'm thinking I'm gunna have to source a bigger pot to mash in if this turns out as well as I expect it to :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Now all I have to do is work out what to do with 156l of apple juice I've got sitting in the shed :D :D
Cane Toad

Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Just finished a mash over 3 kitchen pots. I'm waiting on the temp to drop before I add the malted corn (thank you cupcake!).

I doubled the recipe, wound up the fruit and back a bit on the cracked corn.

I've got a baker's yeast bomb bubbling away to drop in after a couple of hours.

Smell is divine! Authentic Deep South corn whisky must be a knock out.

If you can get the bits then I recommend trying this. Can't wait for cupcake's run report.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development