Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Apple pear raisin Split Brandy

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Give it a few days to get cracking BYB,the smell from the shed made me drool :drool: :drool:
The way this brew is shaping up,it'll be 2 from 2 to MMS :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm

And EG seems a bit partial to it as well :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Ready with a yeast bomb and heat belts for the 200L fermenter.

The recipe as I get it say
38L of water on top of your mashed fruit, corn and sugars. As I doubled down and upped the fruit I've got an easy 80L in the fermenter.

About to get a gravity read now.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 15, 2013 6:13 pm

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Cane Toad

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:22 am

Well it all fired off fine, I added a heat belt to it overnight to keep the 200L fermenter warm. The shed smells like a cross between apple pie and corn bread. :drool:

Question on the corn though: how soft/hard did you get it to? I had a very cloudy gelatinous mush on the stove top but I did wonder if I'd softened it enough? It was starting to scorch no matter how much stirring I did and seemed very 'porridge' like but there were still some firm bits. It wasn't complete mush, but was taking on water.

How soggy did you guys go for? :think:
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Cane Toad » Sun May 19, 2013 9:50 am

Right,pulling foreshore as I type,FORESHOTS I said :angry-banghead: This stuff is gunna be good I reckon,even the missus wondered over to the shed as it was heating up,with her nose in the air sniffing :handgestures-thumbupleft: The whole shed smelt like,well,warm apples.
Will keep you all updated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:...Question on the corn though: how soft/hard did you get it to? ...

BackyardBrewer, I know all of y'all talk about gelatanizing the corn, but I never do that. I only boil the corn long enough for it to start swelling and thickening up a little...because of corns affinity towards burning and ruining a mash. I probably get mine to where it's just a little harder than what you'd want to eat, and I've never had any problems with conversion of having low proof alcohol. I'd say you won't have any problems at all

Cupcake....how'd you like it?
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Cane Toad » Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm

All finished :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: done the dip the finger trick right through the run,this stuff is gunna be good. Ended up with about 3l of hearts I reckon,will know more after letting it air for a day :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Will probly keep a litre for consuming straight away,the rest I'll dilute to 65 and put on a medium toasted oak for a few months,well I'll try and leave it for a few months :D :D
All in all I'm very happy MMS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Glad you're happy with it so far. Once you've aired it out, and maybe aged some, let me know what you think it needs. I'm very interested in developing this recipe further.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Running a batch and a half this weekend (thought it was close to 100L but more like 70).

Any thoughts on adding more corn (of which I have heaps) and sugar and backset to the scraps left in the 200L fermenter? Much point? I don't have any more malted corn but I could turf in some barley...
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 pm

I've got 45l of apple brandy to run this weekend and a sugar head with the left overs of the first batch of this :handgestures-thumbupleft: just having one now as a matter of fact :handgestures-thumbupleft:
With the sugar head,I'm thinking a small handful of raisins in the Demi at 65% and maybe just maybe a 1/4 of a cinnamon stick for 3-4 days and I'll be running around with a chubby I'd reckon :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plus,I'm gunna play touchy feely with the new love of my life :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: and this Cinderella ain't no fairy tale :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Running a batch and a half this weekend (thought it was close to 100L but more like 70).

Any thoughts on adding more corn (of which I have heaps) and sugar and backset to the scraps left in the 200L fermenter? Much point? I don't have any more malted corn but I could turf in some barley...

I'm not sure, as I only made one run of the stuff my self. It was all I had time for. Give it a shot and see what happens! It can't hurt...
MtnMoonshiner

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Ran about 75L of this on the weekend. According to the gravity it didnt quite get to 9% abv but very impressed even as white dog after three days airing.

I'll keep a bottle or so white and I'm aging 2L @ 65% on American oak (sherry soaked for a month before adding) and 2L on French oak.

I added more sugar, backset and some LDME and more corn to the dregs. Fired off in no time with no added yeast. We'll see how she comes up.

Thanks for this recipe and thanks to POB (pint'o'bootleg) for the malted corn hookup.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:33 pm

What's LDME?
MtnMoonshiner

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:50 pm

MtnMoonshiner wrote:What's LDME?

Sorry mate, aussie abbreviation - It's LIGHT DRY MALT EXTRACT, powdered form of malted barley popular in beer brewing. I thought that would offset my lack of malted corn and add a nice whisky/barley twang to the corn and the dregs that were left in my 200L fermenter.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:03 am

Cool! :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'll have to look into getting some. It's time for me to start experimenting more!
MtnMoonshiner

Previous

Return to Recipe Development