Apples - suggestions please

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Apples - suggestions please

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 pm

blond.chap wrote:I recon it's heat, mine have a cuddly electric blanket keeping them warm.

BackyardBrewer wrote:I think it's heat too.

:violence-smack: :violence-smack:
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:12 pm

As of tomorrow I should have power in my shed, so heat belts for all.

I also think that the last batch of EC1118 was a dud from brewmaker here in SA. Gonna push him on some store credit tomorrow arvo.

Grrrrrr.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 pm

The directions for that yeast call for a starter mix, don't they? Something about mixing it at about 40c for no more than 15 mins?
By then you should know if its a go-er or not.
emptyglass

Postby invisigoth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 pm

WineGlass wrote:The directions for that yeast call for a starter mix, don't they? Something about mixing it at about 40c for no more than 15 mins?
By then you should know if its a go-er or not.

i very rarely do starter for ec1118, and so far no problems. i found it does quite well at low temps too. i'd stay away from 40c temps. thus far my experience has been that it *realy* dislikes high temps. for a starter i usually use a 10g pack in 250ml of must in a bottle, mix it in, throw on an airlock and wait. obviously for a larger volume you would need to pitch at a higher level, but for 20ish litres this seems to work. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby emptyglass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 pm

The little packs of ec1118 that I have used in the past recomended that temp, IIRC.

The good thing about doing a starter is you know if the yeast is viable, before you put it in, regardless of brand or type.
If it dosn't start frothing, its no good. Hit him up for a store credit.
If it does, put it in.
emptyglass

Postby invisigoth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 pm

lifted from datasheet from lallemand's web site:
"Rehydrate EC-1118 in 5 times its weight of potable water at 40°C. Let stand for at least 20 minutes
then gently stir occasionally to break up any clumps. Add to the must.
- THE TOTAL REHYDRATION DURATION SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 45 MINUTES
- AVOID COLD SHOCKING THE YEAST. THE TEMPERATURE DROP BETWEEN THE
MUST TO BE INOCULATED AND THE REHYDRATION MEDIUM SHOULD NEVER BE
>10°C (if any doubt, please contact your supplier or Lallemand)
- IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REHYDRATE THE YEAST IN A CLEAN CONTAINER.
- INITIAL REHYDRATION IN MUST IS NOT ADVISABLE."

that being said, i usually just sprinkle on top of the must and stir it in to mix and aerate, and i don't recall any problems. <shrug> doing a starter is never a bad idea, for the reasons eg pointed out.i've used my fair share of this stuff, but there's always a chance of getting a dud for any yeast.
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm

whoa this Calvados steeped in apple tree wood is turning out amazing :handgestures-thumbupleft: I mean to say, the heavy char oak is good but this apple gear has a real tang . this stuff is 66% and yet almost refreshing . I might put a little aside and add some fructose syrup reckon it will be the bomb ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Pix crow! Pix!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 pm

yeah ok , i need to put in the new SD card :roll:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 pm

I did my Calvados through a pot still as most of you know but one of you fella's running it through ya bubbler might like to answer this old post ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=893

I just had another taste of this stuff steeped in apple tree wood :dance: oh yeah its going to be good stuff. The only hass I can see is the porous wood will soak up some spirit so I guess I will loose some liquor (shit happens :roll: )
crow

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:55 am

Okay, I been watching the whole apple adventures play out. so whats the final vedict guys? is it worth the effort?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 am

yep its good shit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Sure was, I'd do it again in a heart beat. Half as cider half as calvados. Really pleased even in the early aging stage.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Recipe Development