TPW

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

TPW

Postby Hagrid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I made 160lt of TPW reduced that down to 40lt low wines did not throw away any forshots. So now I have 15lt at 90+% and am trying to make the final cuts. I have put aside 2.5lt as forshots / heads but I am can not seem to find tell the tails very well. Maybe the last 500ml but that seems to little if I can not taste it how much of the last should I dump?
I stopped the run when it when the temp went up by 2deg C
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Re: TPW

Postby Distillnation » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 pm

When did you finish the run?

Have you let the cuts air out since doing the run?

If you take a small sample of the final cuts and mix with equal amounts water you will open the aroma and taste up more (spit, don't swallow ;)). Do this with the last few cut jars and see if you notice any off flavours.

There is a guide in the newbie section on cuts that describes the above process in a bit more detail.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Tails are normally identified by that wet dog, damp cardboard smell. It's very distinct. Go through the end jars and have a whiff. Also work from the dead centre hearts outwards. If it smells at all different to the heart of the run then back in the next run.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Hagrid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Finished the run last night.
I have had tails smell when I do rum with the pot however I just have not got it with the vm still. Is there any harm if I just toss the last couple of jars.
I think this will keep me going for a bit
Hagrid

VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Glad to see your new rig is working out for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The VM's do a pretty good job of compressing tails, it's likely you may have switched off before they appeared but to be safe just ditch the last couple of jars as you suggested.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Distillnation » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 pm

You can always keep the last couple for feints and throw them in your next run, but there is no harm in getting rid of them if that's easier for you. At the end of the day, it's your time/money/product/whatnot so do what will be best for you :D
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby Hagrid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 am

MacStill wrote:Glad to see your new rig is working out for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The VM's do a pretty good job of compressing tails, it's likely you may have switched off before they appeared but to be safe just ditch the last couple of jars as you suggested.

Cheers.

Hey Mac
Best thing I ever brought. You have made a great product.
I was hoping that might be the case.

Distillnation wrote:You can always keep the last couple for feints and throw them in your next run, but there is no harm in getting rid of them if that's easier for you. At the end of the day, it's your time/money/product/whatnot so do what will be best for you :D

I might throw the feints into the next rum run.
Thanks for the replys.
Hagrid

VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Return to Recipe Development