Mixing DWWG with malted barley mash for Scotch

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Mixing DWWG with malted barley mash for Scotch

Postby krusey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 pm

hi all,
i'm going to try using the DWWG recipe from tried and proven section and altering it by using malted Barley with (medium Peat) as used in the fine scotch whiskey recipe as an addition to the recipe
So Here's the plan: 4kg of malted barley (medium Peat) from Craftbrewer is brissy mashed at 65 degrees C for an hour in about 15 Litres of water.
then in a second part Using the standard DWWG recipe other than the Yeast which i'll 1 sachet of ale yeast(fermentis Safale US-05) and 10 teaspoons of bakers yeast (Lowans in the red can) and making this a 50 litre batch, the only thing i'm having problems with is what would be the best oak to finish off to make a good scotch (I'm hoping a great one) so if any of the scotch makers could assist me with that side i would be appreciative cheers
Krusey
krusey

equipment: 3 inch VM still on a 50 litre beer keg boiler, and a 25 litre essensia hbs reflux CM style rig

Re: Mixing DWWG with malted barley mash for Scotch

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Why not try both American and French? Then report back with your findings :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Who knows,it may end up in the tried and proven itself :handgestures-thumbupleft: please continue
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby krusey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 pm

toasted, charred or virgin oak whats the go for scotch
krusey

equipment: 3 inch VM still on a 50 litre beer keg boiler, and a 25 litre essensia hbs reflux CM style rig

Postby bt1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Howdy,

I'd be thinking old used bourbon charred sticks for the majority of the run, then a sub batch with fresh charred sticks depending on strength of taste you prefer.

If you had old port soaked timbers be worth another sub batch. I wouldn't use sherry soaked it tends to amplify the heads in my Irish's but the long term taste and colour is great.

Spot of blending to taste here...why not!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 am

bt1 wrote:Howdy,

I'd be thinking old used bourbon charred sticks for the majority of the run, then a sub batch with fresh charred sticks depending on strength of taste you prefer.
If you had old port soaked timbers be worth another sub batch. I wouldn't use sherry soaked it tends to amplify the heads in my Irish's but the long term taste and colour is great.
Spot of blending to taste here...why not!
bt1

Umm ...well they do use sherry casks for quite a lot of blended whiskies . oak can't make heads, it may make them more pronouced but it still goes back to poor cuts :doh: , just saying
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:52 am

crow,

same spirit, some with medium toast sherry compared to dark char and batches smell and taste completely different. The sherry lots have a deeper burn down the palate.

Longer term as mentioned the sherry batches do go softer but it's a different finished product to medium or heavy chars.. It also seems to take longer to turn I think this is the result of the toast level before soaking.

For my Irish's I use about 3/4 on sherry sticks and back blend the smaller qty of the char as I want to keep the colour light.

My sherry sticks what's left of them are about 18 months old now....need to do some more. I'll use a cream sherry rather than the current dry next time as well.... I'm hoping it makes a softer spirit.

If you want to try it yourself give me a pm hoy for addr details and I'll post a few soaked sticks over.

I'm itching to try port sticks but they are only 3 months approx. and still floating about the jar not drowned at the bottom...sadly!

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm

i would age on american oak- i find it ages the dwwg with milder flavors and a little sweeter. dwwg on french is more robust and i find it imparts a more bourbon/even port-like richness.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby krusey » Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks fellas it seems to be American oak charred seems to be the most popular so i might head that way i got the wash on, it didn't have a very aggressive start like DWWG usually does, still has a nice aroma and has been bubbling away nicely. It started out with a S.G of 1076 so about normal so i'll see hopefully by the weekend i should see it finshed and ready for stilling not sure if i'm going to strip first or just run it at a high abv through the vm' 3inch grog monsta :text-thankyoublue:
krusey

Postby Camikaze » Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Let us know how she goes mate. Sounds like a simple recipe for a potentially nice drop.

Good luck. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Return to Recipe Development