Kraken Spiced Rum

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Kraken Spiced Rum

Postby Linny » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Have taken a new challenge on copying this awesome drink http://www.krakenrum.com/ , i wouldnt mind to start talking about it to maybe put some heads together and see if we can copy this.

Here are some of my thoughts on it:

I think the colour is food dye since its so dark but there's a caramel hint to it .there's some sort of sugar since when you swirl the glass it runs on the glass (like glycerine ??) . there is a little vanilla but I think that would come from a toasted barrel or stick rather than a bean. A little cinnamon. But mainly liquorice probably from star of annise. Maybe a little clove. Not sure on that one but it sure is smooth :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I also think that with the RUM , its a single batch everytime ,,,, Bundaberg Rum is very firey and has this sorta burnt taste to it.... im 99.999% sure that its created doing generations or using backset/dunder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Kraken Spiced Rum

Postby DevilsBugs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Tasty stuff Linny, would love a clone of this baby.
I have used this stuff calles Siminar to "colour correct" beers.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2996
DevilsBugs

equipment: Essencia Reflux Still, 25l boiler.

Postby Matt S » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:45 pm

I am also wanting to clone this one. Been drinking a bottle for the last month and I am loving it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Postby Linny » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Do you agree with the taste's ? what do you think ?
Linny

Postby Matt S » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:02 pm

I am tasting a bit more vanilla then you, I definitely think its added.
I think you have hit the nail on the head though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Yer I tried this stuff,bloody nice,,realy Kool bottle as well. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Linny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:36 pm

well I just ran my Rum Ready for this . 1 Single Wash Ran Real Slow through the bubbler to get it as Smooth as possible will put on American Oak medium toasted and charred . I don't know about the Caramel .. should I make it or buy a caramel flavoring. llm leaning towards buying. .,
Linny

Postby BIG D » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Linny I'm not sure how to make a clone of it but shit i'm havin a good time getting to the bottom of a bottle as we speak very interested in your progress good luck. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Linny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm

pretty sure ill need testers to increase the range of pallets :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:
Linny

Postby crow » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 pm

the colour would be for certain from caramel. the use of caramel is poorly regulated in the rum industry and therefore extensively used. the caramel used in spirits is not the normal sort and does not add very much sweetness, this is true for almost all spirits except rum where sweet caramel is blended with distilling caramel or in some cases only used (its much cheaper). Basically its used to make a rough as guts drink palatable and add colour without much aging (giving the appearance of long aged spirit) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm

i think i agree the colour is "added" but the drink does have a hint of sugary caramel notes ... the smell is definately there ... all this talk is good for technique , hopefully i can get bloody close the first time and Mtn Moonshine ,,, if you were in australia , i would send you my attempt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Heres my batch watered down to 63% ABV , i split them into 2 so i can have 2 cracks at it before i have to try again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linny

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Well forgot to mention i had a little play with colouring , found this stuff at woolies .... added one cap to the glass of water ,,,, inparts no taste and looks bloody close ... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby 5 o'clock » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 pm

How are you all going with copying this?

I tried almost every bottle shop in town before finding it at BWS.

Lovely.

I can certainly taste and smell the vanilla and caramel, not sure what other flavours are there.

My molasses washes are going very slowly in this cold weather. So far only 2 strips done, next one close to finished. They are taking a few weeks each even with a heater pad underneath and wrapped in insulation and a black bin over the top. Pity my wife won't let me bring it inside out of the cold.

When I get enough to do a spirit run I will definately be trying to copy this. I bought some cinnamon sticks the other day, what else will I need?

Cheers,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby Linny » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1514&p=61191&hilit=spiced#p61191

Linny wrote:well finally having a taste testing now , i can say that im pleasantly suprised. For those that read this in the future heres what i did .... first off i made a macstill rum viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30, aged it on dominoes for about 5-7 weeks @ 65% (could go longer but it still taste great). :handgestures-thumbupleft:
watered it down to 40% with filtered water. I then took 2L @ 40% and added :

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 2 inches long ( with the white skin removed - makes it bitter )
1 cinnamon stick
3 points of Star of Anise
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

After 3 days I removed the Star Anise and Cloves. After the 7th day i removed the orange peel ( should have dont this a little ealier ) After 10 days i bottled it using a funnel and a coffee filter to remove all the smaller particles. Pretty sure this will get moved to Tried and tested after a few people have tried it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This is the spiced rum recipe i use ,,, my spiced rum has the hit of liquorice , just like the Kraken so im going to use this recipe and instead of sugar im going to add charamel , like the bottle says it has in it.... either way its delicous. ive also added 3 caps of vanilla extract to give it more of a vanilla hit like captain morgan,,, i dont think the kraken will need that extra bit...

EDIT : The rum is still aging ;( ... I stuck it in the hot sink full of water twice to accellerate the process a bit... but now it just needs time... my problem is that ive got heaps of rum but its rum thats had generations and i dont think that the kraken rum has that taste. so i had to make a new single batch
Linny

Postby Linny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Update : its been a month aging ,,, as you probably read above the method , i finally decided to spice it...

Had a attempt at making caramel ... tried 3 times more like toffee ... so i stuck it in anyways

the caramel was done in the microwave , 6 teaspoons of sugar , 8 teaspoons of water and a little bit of butter ... did 1:30 goes in the microwave. as soon as it goes brown in the middle , stop it ,,, and start stirring to get the colour i got . Pretty sure Big D and I are gonna have a taste session next week and ill let you know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby Canadoz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Linny wrote:the caramel was done in the microwave , 6 teaspoons of sugar , 8 teaspoons of water and a little bit of butter

Caramel is just equal parts water and sugar, browned. You add butter to make butterscotch. I think butter in your spirit is gonna make an oil slick :laughing-rolling:
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Linny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 pm

I make plenty of butterscotch schnapps ... i just filter it ,,, its fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

heres the link http://debbiekoenig.com/2011/02/21/cara ... n-make-it/

i did simplify it
Linny

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Linny maybe for the colour you could get one of those food colour packs from the super market, they have multiple colours in one pack and a mixing chart on the back to make different colours. Personally I wouldn't worry about colour as long as it tastes right.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby AussieAndy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 am

How did this go??

Interested as this is the only rum my missus is really keen on drinking at the moment, and I blame you guys cause since being on here I've started branching out my bourbon choices, so she decided she should do the same with rum, thus a cupboard full of weird rums all about half full, and three empty bottles of this.
AussieAndy

equipment: 2" pot still done....... What next??

Next

Return to Recipe Development