apple pie

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

apple pie

Postby r.c.barstud » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 am

eerrrr, if you are going to make apple pie, DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT use apple cider (strongbow), i made a Mcshitload on the weekend and found out that apple cider in the U.S is just strained out apple puree and not what we know (or what i thought) apple cider was. i am now banished from the kitchen........again........for about the 5th time.... :angry-banghead:
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Re: apple pie

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:35 am

hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby Bushy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Well thats just terrible. Magine being banned from the kitchen. I might try the apple pie with cider.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:06 pm

I been holding off on some of the apple pie recipes for that very reason, seems to be a few lingo problems when it comes to what cider is between different countries. At this stage Ive only made the one in our tried n proven section, it aint bad at all, got a tiny bit left that's aged for over 18 months now and its bloody good. having said that Im keen to try some of the recipes that use cider and apple juices.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:05 pm

:wtf: are you sure thee is one in our tried and proven :think: I better bloody check now I opened my north and south
Edit ok yep not one in there, Maybe we need a consensus on what is a good one to include . heres a link to one in the flavouring subbie
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3422
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Well it appears not, could have sworn there was one here some place once, buggered if I know were I saw it. Will hunt around for the one i used, uses fresh apples sliced up, 50% red apples and 50% green cooking apples also got some cinnamon sticks n brown sugar in it, neutral as a base , made it a few times.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

I've never tasted it but do you peeps think i could make this out of calvados as I got a life times supply of that (well almost) :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

apple pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 pm

SBB wrote:Well it appears not, could have sworn there was one here some place once, buggered if I know were I saw it. Will hunt around for the one i used, uses fresh apples sliced up, 50% red apples and 50% green cooking apples also got some cinnamon sticks n brown sugar in it, neutral as a base , made it a few times.

That's my go to recipe for apple pie but I add about a half cup of good apple juice as well to a litre of 50% neutral - And pull the cinnamon out after a week or it overpowers with a little too much spice "heat".

Water down with more apple juice after a month and watch the ladies go crazy. Very popular round these parts.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Backyard, I just spent half an hour looking through every forum I know looking for the recipe, buggered if i can find it, you wanna throw the basic recipe up here ?
SBB
Lifetime Member

apple pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:01 pm

1 litre neutral @ 50%
1/2 cup brown crumbly sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
3 Granny Smiths sliced
3 red (I like Fuji) apples sliced
1 stick cinnamon removed after 5-7 days
1/2 cup raisins

Wait one month. Shake it every day vigorously.

Then filter and add to fresh apple juice to taste with ice for a sipper drink or add bit less juice and do it as as an ice cold shot from the freezer.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:11 pm

hey SBB i think the thread you are thinking of is viewtopic.php?f=51&t=276&hilit=+apple
heres my version no raisins :puke-huge:
2litres fresh up green apple juice
1litre fresh up old fashioned Apple juice
6 cinnamon sticks
3 cloves
3 litres 65% UJSM/BWKO
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 red apple cored and sliced
1 granny smith apple cored and sliced

dont leave the cinimon in for too long a week should be plenty
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

apple pie

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:29 pm

kiwikeg wrote:hey SBB i think the thread you are thinking of is Wineo's-Apple-Pie
viewtopic.php?t=276?

I reckon that's the one that SBB was referring to Kiwi, I went searching for it too as I'm just about out myself.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

apple pie

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:15 pm

So there's a few contenders here. Might need some official testing?
:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Here's mine:
6L homebrand apple juice ( two times 3L bottles)
3 cups caster sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
2L of 60% liquor

Method:
Heat 3 L of apple juice and cinnamon in a large stock pot. Dissolve all sugar into in hot apple juice (the origion recipe says to bring it to the boil but I found this unnecessary). Put the pot in a sink full of cold water to cool rapidly and add the other 3 litres of cold juice to it to cool it down. Finally poor in your chosen spirit and give it a good stir. I bottled this in 2 Litre glass bottles and put 2 of the cinnamon sticks in each.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby halfbaked » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't like mine very sweet so I think with out sugar is better (I am to big anyway). If I do put sugar in I use brown sugar and 1/4 cup per can. I use the frozen juice in a can and mix it exactly like the can says. I think the can makes around 950 ml.. Anyway I use 1 cinnamon stick per can and bring it to a boil with the cinnamon stick in the juice. I reduce the liquid to a little less than half. It really smells the house up in a good way. I let it cool and sip with a small spoon until it gets enough cinnamon in it. It usually takes an extra hour or so . Don't let it set with cinnamon stick in it over 2-3hrs. I usually mix 1 part likker to 1 part juice. Kids love it . Of cource they get it with out the likker. I don't leave it in the fridge with likker in it because the kids would be drunk all the time. It is great freshly made warm and great cold.

At my house it is known as half baked apple pie. After a few sips every gets a chuckle.
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Yeah thats it Kiwi, Ive never tried others to know if they are better, but i don't mind this one, it definatley improves with age,
I wouldnt say it tastes like an apple pie, but its good all the same.

Granny smith,and any red apples
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Any 80-100 proof neutral,or corn hearts
Cut up apples into wedges leaving out the core and seeds
Put raisins,and sugar in jar
Put equal amounts of both kinds of apples in quart jars.{fill them up}
Add cinnimin sticks
Fill jars with booze,close,and shake daily.
After 4 days remove the cinnimin sticks.
It will be ready to drink in a week or so,but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better.Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar,but I like it not as sweet.
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Return to Recipe Development