my first 100 ltr molasses wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Postby Tassie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Newbie going bigger. I've done a 4 x 25 ltr batch in a 125 ltr sealed container with airlock. Less than 2 hours it was rumbling like a V8. The smell in my Mancave is so yummy the wife hasto drag me in for tea lol. Can't wait to run it through the beast.
Tassie

equipment: 50 ltr keg
1x 3000 watts electric element
1x 1300 watts electric element
with 2 inch offset potstill head
Plus 1.5 mtr extension for refux runs.

Re: my first 100 ltr molasses wash

Postby Tassie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 pm

My 100 ltr rum batch consists of 16 kgs molasses 12 kgs Chelsea sgar and 4 75g packets of. Distillers yeast for rum from still spirits.
Tassie

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Mmmmmm, nothing like the smell of a good rum wash chugging away.
Not surprised it was rumbling like a V8 in under 2 hours, that is a lot of yeast...... I only use 25gm in a 200 litre wash after rehydrating for 4 hours in a few litres of 50% diluted wash. No issue if you don't mind using the yeast though

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Hope you've got lots of space in the container Tassie.
Remember my first Molasses wash.It was in a 25 liter fermenter. Went off like a rocket,in the middle of the night ,blew the airlock top off and Mt Vesuvius of Molasses sprayed the room.

Unfortunately ,due to a lack of suitable warm places at the time ,it was in my bedroom :angry-banghead:
Yummymummy woke up to the aroma :violence-smack: and I had to do a lot of :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: and :romance-kisscheek: :romance-kisscheek:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Tassie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Still new at this but it's like an infection that just won't go away hence the stacking of the recipe. Will see how it turns out. I have 25 ltrs of empty space in the container that I'm using. What kind of yeast are you using in your 200 ltr wash Rumdrinker ?
Tassie

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Danstil EDV-493.
Most here use bakers yeast with good results.

Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby unsub » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 am

Do you run electric or gas? If you run electric I'm interested to know if after the run your heating element(s) are coated in brown crusty crap. I was using that yeast but every time I did a run the elements would be caked solid with what looked like cocoa powder afterwards. It would clean off with little effort but it was annoying. Switched back to bakers yeast and no more gunked up elements.

So yeah I'm interested to see how it turns out.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Rumdrinker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 am

I run electric & don't have any sludge issues on the element although I ensure I don't put any fermenter sludge in the boiler & drain the boiler once its shut down so the dunder doesn't get a chance to settle. Don't get a lot of sediment in the dunder once settled either.

Rumdrinker

Postby Tassie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi. In my 25 ltr batches I was using bakers yeast with gr8 results nice clean elements.the dude at the brew shop saw me coming lol and talked me into buying Distillers yeast for rum reconds it would enhance the flavors. This is the first-time trying Distillers yeast. Will let you know how the elements turn out and whether or not I go back to bakers yeast
Tassie

Postby unsub » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for that.

It's strange, the first time I ran a wash with that yeast the elements gunked up so I put it down to the molasses but different molasses and even different elements resulted in the same problem. Same molasses with bakers yeast and the same elements and no problems. I also clean the boiler almost immediately after every run to get the dunder out and also let the washes settle for up to 4 weeks before running and no difference.

So back to bakers yeast and I can run my wash every 6-7 days.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Return to Recipe Development