Backset re-use

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Backset re-use

Postby shotchas » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi, I'm in the middle of a UJSM style run (with a bit of choc malt added). I used the lees from the boiler to top up another two fermenters of UJSM and have about five litres left over. I'm also starting a batch of rum from stock feed molasses, still on the first ferment.
I was wondering if anyone had tried using the backset from one batch to mix with another? I.e. the UJSM backset into a new batch of molasses wash to give the flavour a kick along? Keen to hear your thoughts, Cheers
shotchas

equipment: Home made 2" column on 30L SS keg

Re: Backset re-use

Postby bt1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Howdy,

Couldn't exactly see backset being added to a rum wash as any advantage. The flavours don't line up.

The real fix is as you gens in rum progress blending several runs together taking advantage of the stronger later run tastes.

In real life this is the best bit ...blending runs to get the right balance.

Just to trap the gen that suits you best while learning it, store plenty of dunder in the fridge from gen 2,3 and 4 . You'lll fine one run which suits you best say 3 and therefore continue to use the gen 2 dunder which formed part of it regularly.
Once you know just focus on that run dunder storage.

Enjoy hope it helps and makes sense
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby shotchas » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks for that.

I wasn't sure about the taste balance either but just wondered if anyone had tried it. Sometimes these things can have surprising results.

Your advice on dunder runs makes sense. I'll look out for the differences doing the rum run I've just started and post results when they are in.

Cheers
shotchas

equipment: Home made 2" column on 30L SS keg

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I accidentally poured my molasses wash into the boiler which still had some UJ backset still in it
and all I can say is :puke-huge:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Recipe Development