Rum experiment #08

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Rum experiment #08

Postby r.c.barstud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Lately I have been doing some experiments with rum. I will explain what I have done on my last experiment and would like to get some feedback/input, right, wrong or in between....
I got 16litres of molasses and clarified it.
I dissolved 10 kg of raw sugar.
Adjusted the pH.
Made up to 100 litres.
Pitched yeast at 27 deg.

First still charge was 40 litres and a 4 litre charge in the thumper.
Removed fores and gave them to the missus to experiment with, collected to 60% and put aside, from 60-50% I collected and put that aside and collected from 50-40%. I got 2 litres of hearts

Second charge, I used 13.5 litres of hot dunder and 26 litres of new wash in the boiler and 1.3 litres of dunder and 2.6 litres of new wash in the thumper, ran the still the same as the first run. I got 2 litres of hearts here too.

At this point, I combined all the dunder together from the previous runs, and then re-charged the still and thumper at 33% backset.

Third charge was the same as the second charge and still got 2 litres of hearts.

Fourth charge, I combined all the previous stillage together, I had combined all the heads and tails together, charged the still at 33% backset, 10% of the total volume with new wash and added the head/tails at 35%ABV and ran that through the still without the thumper.
I ended up with 9 litres of heads, 1.5 litres of hearts and I had to shut it down to go get the kids from school.
All hearts were collected from 60-50% ABV.

You're turn, tell me what you think, would you would expect as a result of taste etc, you get the gist of what I'm sayin'.
I usually keep heads, hearts and tails separate and go about things in a different manner than what I have done over the last 5 days.
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Return to Recipe Development