Coconut flavor

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Coconut flavor

Postby Dominator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:09 pm

I have an idea for a new recipe and it will need some coconut flavor. I have two options, shredded coconut or copra meal. Copra meal is basically toasted/dried coconut that my missus uses for feeding her horses. It has bugger all sugar/carbs but has a high oil content so is good to fatten them up with out excess energy. I wanna use it cause it smells fuckin awesome.

First question is can I use the copra? It is feed grade so not made for human consumption. In saying that, so is the molasses we use for rum. I reckon it will be fine cause it will be distilled but SWMBO is worried.

Second question, if i go for shredded coconut, should I add the coconut to the wash to ferment or should I add it to the finished product for flavor. ie. macerate. It will be a flavored wash, kinda like a whisky.

How does the flavor change by adding an ingredient to the ferment or macerating, besides the amount you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: Coconut flavor

Postby crow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 pm

I doubt you will pull much flavour through the still, maybe some if your planning on doing a toddy type thing but if your adding it to a rum or whiskey wash I think your efforts will be wasted (which might be a good thing for the whiskey).
There is a thread around about coconut rum some use essence I used desiccated coconut. I boiled it for a long while then let it cool, then scooped the coconut fat off the surface and strained it and filtered it through a tea towel
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Coconut flavor

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Coconut flavor

Postby Dominator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Awesome. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements