pumpkin brandy

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

pumpkin brandy

Postby scuzzy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:07 am

howdy all
im about to attempt a pumpkin brandy, its a simple recipie of sugar, and roast pumpkin, I want to make and strip 3 washes to get enough to do a final spirit run, my Question is what do you mob think about adding say, 10% of the left over wash (dunnder, I forget what its called ) to the next batch of wash, and maybe 20% or so of fresh wash to the final spirit run. ive been told that the pumpkin flavor doesnt comes through very well and can be quite subtle, so I was hoping to try to boost it a little.

any thoughts would be appreciated
thanx all
scuzzy

equipment: home made reflux of sorts on a keg boiler

Re: pumpkin brandy

Postby halfbaked » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 pm

boost it after you do your spirit run. They call it pumpkin spice. It taste exactly like pumpkin pie. Some put orange food coloring for effect. Please post your results.
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby scuzzy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 pm

pumpkin spice ? where would one be likely to find that ?
scuzzy

Postby halfbaked » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:43 pm

Spice aisle of grocery store. Try some
halfbaked

Postby bt1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 am

long been a fan of using fresh pumpkin for liqueur spirit base because it is very soft flavoured as mentioned.

be keen to hear the results on this one.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

pumpkin brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 am

bt1 wrote:long been a fan of using fresh pumpkin for liqueur spirit base because it is very soft flavoured as mentioned.

be keen to hear the results on this one.

cheers
bt1

Me too. Not sure I'd drink it but in the interest of science I'd like to know your results. What are you planning for oaking and aging?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby scuzzy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 am

thanx guys ill have a look for this pumpkn spice stuff. I had planed to put it on unchared oak for a while, its all a bit of an experiment, I wanted to try some thing new and get away from my usual TPW with essence. ill post how it all goes as it goes
happy drinkin :-D
scuzzy

Postby halfbaked » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am

Pretty easy to find. I am not a big fan of putting sugar in it but yield it not very good. IF,IF I had to put sugar in it I would think brown sugar would be a better addition. I think the toasting/roasting is a good idea. I bet that be a tasty SOB if you smoked the pumpkin (like a meat smoker not oven). If you are thinking trying to keep it looking and tasting pumpkin a light charred cherry for the red color in it might be better than the brown oak. Maybe top off with a little 5Star muck on the top of 3 fingers over a piece of ice. I am in. Pour me one or 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
halfbaked

Postby bt1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm keen,

just got a new lot of cherry timber...shaving/cutting this weekend...reckon it's that far in front of oak colour and taste wise

it really is a killer for colour and taste.

I reckon I might have a crack as a side liner...appreciate the inspiration!

bt1
bt1

Postby halfbaked » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 pm

If u already have some cherried likker spend a dollar on spice. It will get u an idea if you will like it. Spice it to your taste. If u have a punk in people maker round they'd be good help.
halfbaked

Postby halfbaked » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 am

halfbaked wrote:If u already have some cherried likker spend a dollar on spice. It will get u an idea if you will like it. Spice it to your taste. If u have a punk in people maker round they'd be good help.

Supposed to have said:
If u have a punk in people maker round they'd be good help was supposed to say if you have a 5Star pie maker round they'd be good help.
halfbaked

Postby scuzzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:11 am

so .... I ran the first batch, it was very much a striping run hard and fast, I was surprised at how little flavor and smell there was. it wouldn't be far of some of my neutrals, anyway I since this is an experiment I thought I better stick with it, so ive put the next batch on
6kg sugar
lots of roast pumpkin
10l dunnder
citric acid
toped up to 50l

well lets see if this has a bit more flavor carry through

that cherry wood sounds great, have you used it before ? does it go red ? cherry flavor ?
scuzzy

Postby bt1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 am

Howdy,

The Cherry timber does have a different colour. it's red~ish to pure red not the traditional oaks brown. It looks great in a bottle too...if you can keep it in there :D

The flavour is softer than oak, not cherry flavoured, but much softer and has a few taste notes different from an oak.

Well worth the effort to get hold of some for anyone wanting a point of difference, likes to play or chasing smoother styles with less timber impact.

bt1
bt1

Postby halfbaked » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:23 pm

+1 bt1 he is right on the money
halfbaked

Postby halfbaked » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:35 pm

hay Scuzzz did you ever get you and 5Star pie spice? Like it ?
halfbaked

Return to Recipe Development