tpw bulk

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

tpw bulk

Postby yetti » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:45 am

morning all, I have been convinced in all the reading the tpw shit all over turbo's so I had to put one down. So easy :handgestures-thumbupleft: . cant wait for tasting. I used macstill's version and was wondering if to do a double batch you can just double the whole recipe or do you have to alter some of it?
yetti

equipment: reflux and pot with 30L electric boiler

Re: tpw bulk

Postby the Doctor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 am

yetti wrote:morning all, I have been convinced in all the reading the tpw shit all over turbo's so I had to put one down. So easy :handgestures-thumbupleft: . cant wait for tasting. I used macstill's version and was wondering if to do a double batch you can just double the whole recipe or do you have to alter some of it?

Hi Yetti we make 1000 litres at a time...that is 250 kg of sugar...so I think I can say with some authority that if you simply scale up your recipe you will be fine. Important considerations are... use yeast nutrients...use a good robust yeast...do not use Turbo yeast, it really is just crap. try ec 1118 or Llalemand uvafern 43. apart from that it is very easy. Take care.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby jdonly1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:14 am

the Doctor wrote:
yetti wrote:morning all, I have been convinced in all the reading the tpw shit all over turbo's so I had to put one down. So easy :handgestures-thumbupleft: . cant wait for tasting. I used macstill's version and was wondering if to do a double batch you can just double the whole recipe or do you have to alter some of it?

Hi Yetti we make 1000 litres at a time...that is 250 kg of sugar...so I think I can say with some authority that if you simply scale up your recipe you will be fine. Important considerations are... use yeast nutrients...use a good robust yeast...do not use Turbo yeast, it really is just crap. try ec 1118 or Llalemand uvafern 43. apart from that it is very easy. Take care.
Doc

1000l at a time :scared-eek: how big is your boiler man :handgestures-thumbupleft:
We have a few 200l brews on at the moment
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 pm

jdonly1 wrote:
the Doctor wrote:

Doc

1000l at a time :scared-eek: how big is your boiler man :handgestures-thumbupleft:
We have a few 200l brews on at the moment

I think you will find the difference is Doc has a commercial distillery ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

Sorry I should have made that clear ...we are a commercial distillery. However I have found that with few exceptions that if you directly scale up a formula, while things may take a little longer in ferment most things are exactly the same. My current boiler is 120 litre we do 2 whiskey washes a day stripping and 1 wash a day spirit run generally 3 plate. I am soon to make an announcement regarding a new still and boiler we are expecting...very exciting....SOON.
Doc
the Doctor

tpw bulk

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am

So Doc even at the commercial level is your go to for neutral still scaled up TPW?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Yes especially for our flavoured tinture and infusions and our liqueurs like our maple syrup and espresso. Grain vodka is just an intrusion on delicate flavours such as orange blossom and rose petal vodka...the more neutral the better in these very delicate floral vodkas. Grain is best for straight vodka. But most of our sales are for the unique infusions.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Doc . You said that you use a nutrient so I guess you're not using huge amounts of Tomato paste but probably DAP or similar ..
So How much cleaner is a Vodka made with DAP instead of Tomato Paste .Can you tell us your Nutrient
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

tpw bulk

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:24 pm

the Doctor wrote:Yes especially for our flavoured tinture and infusions and our liqueurs like our maple syrup and espresso. Grain vodka is just an intrusion on delicate flavours such as orange blossom and rose petal vodka...the more neutral the better in these very delicate floral vodkas. Grain is best for straight vodka. But most of our sales are for the unique infusions.
Doc

And with flavours like maple syrup espresso I'm not surprised that's where sales are. You can get vodka anywhere...but infusions like that ? Not so much.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 pm

The two nutrients I use are Go Ferm and Fermaid by Lallemand, but I still add about 9kg of tomato paste ( from memory). As it makes the wash smell better and I think that it makes a cleaner smelling wash when it hits the boiler. Not so much for the nutrient but it is a cheap way to get a better smelling wash. We buy large 2kg cans of tomato paste from our wholesaler who supplies our restaurant. When we are doing tours of the distillery, I can open a 1000 litre wash and know that the smell will be OK.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks Doc , So next question :roll: Is Tomato paste on its own sufficient nutrient or is it lacking something the extra Nutrient supplies Or is it more a cost effective way to get the smell without having to stick in way more tomato Paste ? If you could use 100% tomato Paste ,would it work the same ?

Ok thats 2x questions :-B ...sorry
Yummyrum

Postby the Doctor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:52 pm

A lot of people just use tomato paste by itself and find it adequate...as every 1000 litre wash owes me a fair bit of money. Lets say about $300 for the sugar say $80 for my distillery assistant, power for the fermentation hot room, etc etc. I am not taking any chances...I have never had a stuck ferment...we have a schedule based on consistant ferments based on a 3 to a maximum 4 week turn around. we strip for 1 week then spirit run for 2 weeks, 1 for vodka and tinctures and 1 for whiskey and plain vodka using grain washes . So a consistant result is worth the small price of the additional nutrients to assure that every nutrient is present. It is just a matter of economics, compared with excise, everything else we spend is cheap. I hope that explains why we are so careful.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Cheers Doc ,I understand :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby jdonly1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

You need a good supply of cheap sugar,I got a message from me mate yesterday.He has another 200kgs for me for nicks :teasing-neener: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I just have to keep his grog cupboard full :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jdonly1

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:12 pm

jdonly1 wrote:You need a good supply of cheap sugar,I got a message from me mate yesterday.He has another 200kgs for me for nicks :teasing-neener: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Easily done with the big prick. :))
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby jdonly1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Dominator wrote:
jdonly1 wrote:You need a good supply of cheap sugar,I got a message from me mate yesterday.He has another 200kgs for me for nicks :teasing-neener: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Thats the idea
jdonly1

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 pm

jdonly1 wrote:
Dominator wrote:

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Thats the idea

Don't want too know :hand: ..... :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

Return to Recipe Development