My Whisky Recipe

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

My Whisky Recipe

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Here's a recipe I've been thinking of doing with some leftover grains
Corn-cracked feed. 2kg
Malted Rye. 6kg
Malted Wheat. 1.5kg
Caramalt. 0.5kg

Do the normal, put it all into a pot add water at 65degC hold temp at this for 2 hours. Then boil the crap out of it for another 1/2 hour. Strain it into a fermenter add about 70gms bakers yeast. Let it rip for about 7-10 days. Let settle for another week then run it.

What the guru's opinion on this
Cheers
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Re: My Whisky Recipe

Postby waza » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Im no guru, but I wouldnt be boiling the crap out of it. It would be ok to heat the corn separately first to nearly boiling point whilst stirring, to gelatinize the corn and release the starches. then letting it cool before adding all the grains and mashing. heres a link that has good info. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4351
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I would do a protein rest first at 50-55 deg mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Waza, I was planning to boil up the corn first then put it all together. Kimbo, you rekon, bring the grain bed up to 55 hold there for about an hour then come up to 65 for the 2 hours. I know there's something to do with the Alpha and Beta rests for enzymes to work. Have done this previously for partial beers. But I am not in anyway a guru.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Potmash Boka wrote:Waza, I was planning to boil up the corn first then put it all together. Kimbo, you rekon, bring the grain bed up to 55 hold there for about an hour then come up to 65 for the 2 hours. I know there's something to do with the Alpha and Beta rests for enzymes to work. Have done this previously for partial beers. But I am not in anyway a guru.

Yeah mate, anywhere between 50 and 55 C and 30 mins should do it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

See here
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Recipe Development