Modified MacWhiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Modified MacWhiskey

Postby bac206 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:16 am

So Im attempting a modified version of the MacWhiskey and in the interest of clean tried and proven section we'll throw some ideas around in here.
I'm running a 2 inch pot and here's my plan based on what I could get from LHBS.
I've got 2 30l fermenters running as per original recipe but made following changes due to availability:-
Per fermenter
1x 1.7kg tin Coopers Real ale
1x 1.7kg tin caramalt liquid extract
4kg sugar. 20g yeast. Epsoms and citric.
Top up to 27L
My plan is to do 2 strip runs and use one fermenters wash with the low wines for spirit run.
As tins were larger than original recipe I'm thinking that there will be enough flavour for multiple gens without adding more grain for my plan. Using about 10L of back sets to retain flavour also.
Has anyone done multiple generations of this recipe using the tins this size?
Has anyone attempted the single very slow run? And if so was it similar to strip/spirit method?
Im still getting my head around running a pot so sorry for stupid questions.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Re: Modified MacWhiskey

Postby crow » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 am

Taste is very subjective but I have never tasted a single pot run that was any good ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 am

crow wrote:Taste is very subjective but I have never tasted a single pot run that was any good ;-)

:text-+1: not sure how the beer tin will go because it will be pre hopped. But there is nothing to stop you doing it. Just do it and after oaking see if you like it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I assume your trying to produce an American bourbon sort of knock off? Or just a hybrid Ozzie whisky?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 am

bac206 wrote:So Im attempting a modified version of the MacWhiskey and in the interest of clean tried and proven section we'll throw some ideas around in here.
I'm running a 2 inch pot and here's my plan based on what I could get from LHBS.
I've got 2 30l fermenters running as per original recipe but made following changes due to availability:-
Per fermenter
1x 1.7kg tin Coopers Real ale
1x 1.7kg tin caramalt liquid extract
4kg sugar. 20g yeast. Epsoms and citric.
Top up to 27L
My plan is to do 2 strip runs and use one fermenters wash with the low wines for spirit run. yes, wash can work well for diluting low wines for a spirit run.
As tins were larger than original recipe I'm thinking that there will be enough flavour for multiple gens without adding more grain for my plan. Using about 10L of back sets to retain flavour also. are you refusing the tins or grains?
Has anyone done multiple generations of this recipe using the tins this size?you can reuse the grains but I would suggest you add new tins of goop if you want flavour
Has anyone attempted the single very slow run? And if so was it similar to strip/spirit method?
Im still getting my head around running a pot so sorry for stupid questions.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated

I like hearing people experiment with different recipes, please make sure you post your results and anything you would change :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby bac206 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks guys. A little trial and error. Was presuming not to add extra as the tins were larger than original recipe called. As for hops I know absolutely zero about beer but the staff at LHBS said there wasn't hops in it. So had to go with that as I have no idea about beer. The epsom definitely not required for this one. Bit of brown sticky mess this morning to clean up
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Bushy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Most of the beer tins are already hopped. They probably meant you don't have do a hop infusion or add to y beer wash
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby bac206 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Bugger! What a surprise the LHBS is full of shit :handgestures-thumbdown: . May as well ride it out as it already fermenting now. If no good I'll have to try sourcing grains elsewhere
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Bushy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:50 pm

What you could do is invite yr mates around for a beer. They'd be on their arses but 8-}
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Fed » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:52 am

G'Day Bac206,

I use Cooper's light ale which the local beer shop tells me has no hops and use a similar recipe except I don't add the caramel (Thanks for the idea). I use EC1118 and save lees for a rum, 4kg of blackstrap which gives the rum I nice flavour. A couple of mates and I drank a few schooners before running it through the pot still, after 3 we were the worse for wear :laughing-rolling:
Fed

equipment: 25L off the rack with 2 inch pot from Mac

Postby bac206 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:40 am

So I found it was hopped :handgestures-thumbdown: so multiple gens where out of question straight away . Ran it anyways for curiousitys sake. Did single VERY SLOW run. Fores had a tiny amount of green funky shit in it but rest seemed to actually smell really good. Put it on some of the HBS spirits unlimited single malt oak chips. Letting it sit for at least 3 months to try.
As for any staining in copper (I'd heard it could leave staining in still and/or boiler) I experienced none at all. Made up a citric acid solution and let it do its thing on everything anyways.
On a side note I am running a original MacWhiskey recipe and the smell is similar. Yet to taste either yet though. As yet only stripped gen 2 of the original recipe while halving the grain/caramalt amount for each generation. The original I know will be much nicer as it's double distilled. I love an experiment though
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bac206 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 pm

So I figured two months was long enough for this little experiment. Put it on Spirit Unlimited Southerner shaving. Turned out really nice. Was more bourbon ish but it wasn't long on oak so I suppose that should be expected. Can't wait for multi gen trial of Macs recipe to be finished :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wouldn't really suggest doing it that way though
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Return to Recipe Development