Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 pm

2L of uncrushed, dry cornflakes...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Haha cheers I just bought 4 massive boxes oh well I'll just have to make more
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:00 pm

To be honest mate, I can't remember the last time I measured the cornflakes... How big are the boxes?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:04 pm

750 grams
CyBaThUg

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:42 pm

I'd use 2 boxes for the first 50L generation, then replace about 2L of slop with 2/3rds of a box for each gen after.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Hmm really maybe adjust that recipe then cuz 2l of u crushed cf wouldn't even be half a box
CyBaThUg

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Or is the 2l for subsequent gens
CyBaThUg

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:24 pm

I'll fix it when I get a sec mate ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Toopy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:28 pm

I know this recipe is designed for a pot still, but will I get some flavour from a reflux?
Toopy

equipment: SS T500 copper,
FSD 2" Pot with a squaker

Postby Muppet » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Toopy wrote:I know this recipe is designed for a pot still, but will I get some flavour from a reflux?

Negative mate. Not worth the effort. I tried myself... Rum was the only wash i tried that carried worthwhile flavor over on the T500.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Stoney » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:56 pm

you get much the same product from a reflux as a pot still overall, its just seperated more, take cuts and then you have no need to do a second spirit run of course.
I would open the taps more than usual to minimise reflux and collect everything down to 20 or 30% and the majority of the taste will be in some of the jars and you can blend to suit.

I ran a sixth gen rum wash through my reflux as I had already done a spirit run, there is no way in hell it could be called neutral, but its less flavoursome than the pot stilled stuff, I wasnt running it like I would a nuutral though and was taking it off at around 94% or so.
I will likely end up diluting the normal rum with it to get the flavour profile I want, lowering flavour while keeping ABV up there where its wanted.

the cornflakes wash is very mild and pleasant in comparison, I couldn't stop myself from dipping a finger in every few minutes and tasting it. You will find even the last cloudy jars at 20% or so taste bloody nice.
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:53 am

Stoney wrote:you get much the same product from a reflux as a pot still overall, its just seperated more, take cuts and then you have no need to do a second spirit run of course.
I would open the taps more than usual to minimise reflux and collect everything down to 20 or 30% and the majority of the taste will be in some of the jars and you can blend to suit.

You might want to elaborate on this a bit.

A pot still run properly on a spirit run will have limited smearing and the hearts will be full of flavour. You can make your cuts taking a little tails or heads or whatever your taste is.

A reflux still will strip the flavour out of the hearts and compress all the shit tails at the end.

If using your reflux as you are suggesting to mimmick a pot still you will end up with more nuetrel hearts then blending shit tails back in? This is bad advice for newbies.

If your talking about detuning the HBS rigs that can be done safely and running it as a pot is a different kettle of fish.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Stoney » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:38 pm

yeh sorry, I did mention the cloudy ones taste ok, no intention of using them though except as feints,

the stuff collected down to 40% or so should be no worse than that produced by a pot though. full of flavour no ?

sorry if incorrect, i just can't see why a reflux can't produce anything a pot can with a subsequent blending step.
Stoney

2" pot column

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Stoney wrote:...i just can't see why a reflux can't produce anything a pot can with a subsequent blending step.

Simply because of this
Sam. wrote:A reflux still will strip the flavour out of the hearts and compress all the shit tails at the end.

Tails from a bubbler are indistinguishable from tails out of a pot because of the reflux, they are so compressed it all comes out together, no way of separating them and getting any benifit
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Stoney » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Urrazeb wrote:
Stoney wrote:...i just can't see why a reflux can't produce anything a pot can with a subsequent blending step.

Simply because of this
Sam. wrote:A reflux still will strip the flavour out of the hearts and compress all the shit tails at the end.

Tails from a bubbler are indistinguishable from tails out of a pot because of the reflux, they are so compressed it all comes out together, no way of separating them and getting any benifit

fair enough, I thought I understood it fairly well :)
I figured stuff between eth and water came out after the eth, when it would be merged into the hearts and tails with a pot.

still think its worth a shot, $2 worth of cornflakes and the worst case scenario it will make a nice tasting neutral. I much prefer the flavour of the cornflakes wash to weetbix.
Stoney

2" pot column

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm

If you run it hard after the heads then you have a good chance of pulling flavour through, corn is definitely a flavour you want in your Bourbon whiskey
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Toopy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:35 am

Urrazeb wrote:If you run it hard after the heads then you have a good chance of pulling flavour through, corn is definitely a flavour you want in your Bourbon whiskey

hard as in a thin toothpick stream as in when running a pot?

Muppet wrote:
Toopy wrote:I know this recipe is designed for a pot still, but will I get some flavour from a reflux?

Negative mate. Not worth the effort. I tried myself... Rum was the only wash i tried that carried worthwhile flavor over on the T500.

Hmm, must be time to invest in a pot then
Which would be better Mac's 2" or the SS Alembic Dome Top and Pot Condenser (which happens to be on sale at $400 delivered atm)?
Does anyone know how long the condenser on the SS is?
Toopy

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 am

Definitely Mac's 2"... You'll be on your way to a bubbler then :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Toopy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Definitely Mac's 2"... You'll be on your way to a bubbler then :handgestures-thumbupleft:

probably best to ask mac, but can the 2" be modded to a bubbler or plated colum?
Toopy

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

Toopy wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:Definitely Mac's 2"... You'll be on your way to a bubbler then :handgestures-thumbupleft:

probably best to ask mac, but can the 2" be modded to a bubbler or plated colum?

In short yes you can, all of the parts for the 2" pot can be used to build up to a plate still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development