Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby Glenn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 am

Yeah I have seen that Rumdidly, that is really good and works well for the TPW which I then filter and flavour.
With the CFW, because I wasn't filtering or flavouring I took less.

I have enough on oak to re distill by itself, which will then be triple distilled, should I do that with the smaller cuts??
Glenn

equipment: Airstill
2 30ltr fermenters
DIY Red Dot Carbon Filter

Postby Glenn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:50 pm

From 2 x 25Ltr washes I got 1.8 Ltrs of 75% watered down and ended up with 2Ltrs @ 65%. And I ended up with nearly 5Ltrs of tails, maybe I went to conservative but boy does it smell good. :text-thankyoublue:
Glenn

equipment: Airstill
2 30ltr fermenters
DIY Red Dot Carbon Filter

Postby ed9362 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:09 pm

hi guys my third gen of this stuff has taken 3 weeks to ferment out at 32 deg.

im pretty sure I have the PH under control,

I was thinking about throwing a yeast nutrient like DAP in for the 4th gen.

any issues with this, I really don't want to wait 4 weeks for gen 4
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby Kenster » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks to Zak... just tasted my first (strip only) CFW.. has been in a 10 lit oak cask for 3 months.. lovely colour, amazing flavour, not sure if the secondary spirit run is really going to improve it much????
Pretty bloody happy with this result, have around 25lit of stripped product at aprox 50% ABV, may just have to spirit run some of it. Should it make much difference? as i have not done this before.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby bluc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Kenster did you do cuts ? If not yes a second run will change it. Like night and day..
Guessing you pot stilled it?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:05 am

You'll find very few people here that don't double distill with a pot still... For a very good reason.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Kenster » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Bluc, (sorry to see the injury bud), yep, thru the pot, no cuts (xcpt fores) just stripped pretty quick aprox 50%abv... so when i do the spirit run, as i have not done a spirit run thru the pot yet and dont know what to expect, so... run slow, take cuts like with the VM, yeah?
Will the pot produce the heads/hearts/tails breakup cleanly like the VM or will there be a greater smearing? Cos all i want to do is put a heap on oak.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby bluc » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm

More smearing then a reflux i would imagine
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:10 pm

The pot won't define cuts anything like a VM, Ken. A VM will sit on azeo all day then drop into heavy tails/stop producing at all, it's the nature of the beast.

A pot, run properly - you want an unbroken stream - will start high, then drop slowly and hold an ABV (of about 70% in my experience) for a fair while, then start tapering off into tails. Kinda hard to explain but you'll see it.

If you think your single run, uncut CFW is tasty you're going to shit yourself when you taste the hearts of a spirit run :laughing-rolling:

Be fussy with your cuts, anything left over (feints) can go through the VM for neutral :happy-partydance:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby OzzyChef » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:29 am

Hey Zak, how do you personally like to age this stuff? I'm going to try it a few ways but I'm not certain on the grams/l ratios. I've got medium char French oak dominos and ss bourbon chunks as well as heavy char American oak dominos. What's your advice? I like all types of whisky and bourbon so I'm not after any sort of specific end result I'm just playing with this until I'm ready to run all grains.
Thanks mate
Oz
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:48 pm

10g/L toasted American oak for 6 months as a baseline :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Dig Brinker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 am

Ozzy I have been aging mine on heavy charred American and medium toasted cherry and find about 17 grams of each will get you a tasty product in about 3 months. IF I could hang on to some longer than that I'd use less of each, more along Zak's line. I've also aged it on straight heavy char merican and find the cherry gives a gentleman jack type sweetness that I really like. Experiment a bit, I use 1 litre mason jars for experiments or to age quicker. See how you go, and let us know!
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby OzzyChef » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:16 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Ozzy I have been aging mine on heavy charred American and medium toasted cherry and find about 17 grams of each will get you a tasty product in about 3 months. IF I could hang on to some longer than that I'd use less of each, more along Zak's line. I've also aged it on straight heavy char merican and find the cherry gives a gentleman jack type sweetness that I really like. Experiment a bit, I use 1 litre mason jars for experiments or to age quicker. See how you go, and let us know!

I've got a wash ferment on now Dig and I was wondering, after ferment finishes and you strain off, do you allow any clearing time?
OzzyChef

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Let it clear for a few days and your final product will Bev better :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby OzzyChef » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Let it clear for a few days and your final product will Bev better :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Zak, I rack and rest a few days with my ciders and the tpw etc so I'll just follow the same procedure. Cheers!
OzzyChef

Postby OzzyChef » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm

3rd day of ferment and my wash smells and tastes amazing!!! Just want to pass on a shout out to Zak and Odin for the recipe. I'm so excited to run it when it's done!! Flavour has a touch of vanilla as I subbed half the sugar for organic raw.
OzzyChef

Postby Bumper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:48 pm

OzzyChef wrote:3rd day of ferment and my wash smells and tastes amazing!!! Just want to pass on a shout out to Zak and Odin for the recipe. I'm so excited to run it when it's done!! Flavour has a touch of vanilla as I subbed half the sugar for organic raw.

Nice. The waiting for 6 months + is the killer. The American oak will give a vanilla bomb. I love this recipe as a base, started adding rye and light malt extract, wheatbix, cherry wood smoked grain, it is a great spring board recipe.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby OzzyChef » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Bumper wrote:
OzzyChef wrote:3rd day of ferment and my wash smells and tastes amazing!!! Just want to pass on a shout out to Zak and Odin for the recipe. I'm so excited to run it when it's done!! Flavour has a touch of vanilla as I subbed half the sugar for organic raw.

Nice. The waiting for 6 months + is the killer. The American oak will give a vanilla bomb. I love this recipe as a base, started adding rye and light malt extract, wheatbix, cherry wood smoked grain, it is a great spring board recipe.

The waiting game is definitely where I'm weakest mate!!
Quick question,roughly speaking, what sort of Ag/fg do you Get on your cfw washes? Just trying to get a rough idea of what I will yield from 3 gens of 50l so I can work out what size keg I should buy! Will be putting some this stuff on oak and some in a barrel once I've spirit run the lows through the pot.
OzzyChef

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:53 pm

I get roughly 2l at 65% maybe bit less so 1.8-2l of end product at 65% from 25l wash my combined cuts usually come out at 75% then i water back to 65% to age. If your asking about 50l low wines you should get between 16-20l at 65% :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby OzzyChef » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:11 am

bluc wrote:I get roughly 2l at 65% maybe bit less so 1.8-2l of end product at 65% from 25l wash my combined cuts usually come out at 75% then i water back to 65% to age. If your asking about 50l low wines you should get between 16-20l at 65% :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks heaps blue. We have similar pot setups, how long does it take you to strip a 25l wash? The keg boiler isn't finished yet so I need to set some time aside to use the pot on the little boiler and I've got 50l cfw nearly ready to go!
OzzyChef

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development