Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re:

Postby Brendan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Milky wrote:And cornflakes are made of Corn.... Take that into account...

Haha, what's your point Milky? :))
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby 1 2many » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:30 pm

I am curious to know what the difference is in the generations with this recipe, as in are you getting the sour mash flavour that comes through like on a UJ, or is it more to do with culturing the yeast for the next wash. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Potmash Boka » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 pm

I've been doing up to 6 gens. First gen is good second better then gets better flavour up to the sixth. Then for some reason mine starts to go bad from there. Combined fith and six put them on oak for 6 months and it's like a magical elixir brewed by the fairies. AnotHer method I've found to work well is pour about 6-8 litres of backset over the yeast bed, add more cornflakes and suger stir it in to dissolve, top up to 25L and add new yeast each time. Both work well for me. What's everyone else's results?
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 am

:text-+1: what he said :)

I let my last batch go to 8 gens, but I think about 6 was the sweet spot.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby 1 2many » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Ok thanks for replies I have another question, why cook the cornflakes when they are already cooked? Not sure I get that bit, wouldn't it be sufficient to just steep the ground flakes until you had the porridge consistency. Just add boiling water and stir until it is of a thick porridge then dump into fermentor .I don't understand the cooking. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:12 pm

That's what I do mate :) just 'Cook' them until it gets sludgy, not actually cook cook them...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:That's what I do mate :) just 'Cook' them until it gets sludgy, not actually cook cook them...

Thanks mate gotcha, put a CFW down yesterday and when i was cooking the cornflakes I thought wtf, mind you I didn't have a big enough pot to do the 10 ltrs plus grain so I had to Half the water and grain and do two lots, and cutting the corner off the bag of cornflakes didn't work the bags opened at the end and I had flakes all over the joint :angry-banghead: the one thing that was a help was the malt muncher it made easy work of the flakes. Anyway I have 50 Liters bubbling away should be about 8.2% :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 am

i just popped on about 170 yesterday,

didnt bother cooking the flakes, heated up the boiler with water sugar and tipped that over the whole lot and seems to be alright,

bubbling away nicely now :D

this will be the first time i'm going to do gens, last lot i just chucked out cause i had beer to be done too.

liking the sound of the gens getting better flavour :D
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:37 am

Great to see guys having fun with this one :)

I've only got a ~8L stainless saucepan to dissolve my sugar etc in. I just sit it on the burner on the side of my BBQ, with 4 or 5 litres of either water or backset, and add either 4kg of sugar or the cornflakes or whatever to dissolve/sludge them up.

When I get the distillery in my shed set up, I'll be cutting the top off of a 50L keg so I can cook up a whole batch in one hit :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As for crushing the flakes, I just poke a couple of holes in the top of the bag and crush the bag with my hands. When it starts to open at the ends, just pull handfuls out and crush them as you put them in the pot. They don't have to be crushed to flour, and they probably don't really need to be crushed at all... It can't hurt though :D
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Great to see guys having fun with this one :)

I've only got a ~8L stainless saucepan to dissolve my sugar etc in. I just sit it on the burner on the side of my BBQ, with 4 or 5 litres of either water or backset, and add either 4kg of sugar or the cornflakes or whatever to dissolve/sludge them up.

take the head off your still, you've got 50L or so to heat up sugar and water with, cornflakes too if you want. :)
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 am

Could work, but I wouldn't be able to stir it and it'd be a prick to get all the chunks out... And then I've gotta lift a full keg to tip into my fermenter...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:13 pm

true... maybe your just looking at it wrong, maybe it's time to buy a keg lifter ??? haha :teasing-neener:
mymumsaidimcool

Postby Muppet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:20 pm

I've just been adding them whole and cooking for 10mins in my 30l boiler. They fall apart with a bit of heat and stirring.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 pm

It's time to buy lots of things!

Muppet, I'll give that a go with my next batch :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby Dusty_ben » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Last week I was buying sugar. Had 12kg raw and 12kg white. Bloke next to me had around 6 boxes cornflakes and a heap of sugar. I wonder if he is on here. Was in a hurry so didn't ask questions. Haha
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 pm

i think this one will be my next project. cheers for the write up zak. if i was beginning this hobby i would definitely do this one first. looks easy and written up so well! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:28 am

Andy wrote:i think this one will be my next project. cheers for the write up zak. if i was beginning this hobby i would definitely do this one first. looks easy and written up so well! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

it definately is, this was my first wash and it's on oak now pretty happy with it so far.
mymumsaidimcool

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 am

Good to hear guys. After you've done a couple of batches of straight-cornflakes, try adding some different cereals to see what flavours you get... I usually add a few crushed weetbix in, and the last couple of washes I've done I've added a tin of Saunders' Barley Malt Extract (cheers to Brendan for that tip!), and it smells goooood. Guys have had plenty of success by adding rye bread as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 am

Well... Last night I did my second strip run of cornflakes/weetbix/barley malt extract, and I put a jar of 'Distiller's Privilege' hearts aside and my cousin and I had a bit of a sample. Without doubt the best off-the-still drop I've ever had/made.

I've currently got 300L of it fermenting :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41 am

Damn I must have fracked something up because what I made was not pleasant.
It had an earthy and burnt aroma to it and the flavour was not something I'd dare give anyone else to sample.

A tell tale sign that something went wrong started to appear in the second half of my run with small black specs appearing in the parrot and liquor.
I found these to be greasy in nature, clearly something amiss in my still so I'll be redistilling this lot following a thorough inspection of every component of my still including a mirror check of the boiler and a full vinegar clean for both pot and VM.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development