All Mollases Rum (no sugar added)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: All Mollases Rum ( no suger added)

Postby newbiboozer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Has anyone got any feedback on this all molasses wash yet. I'm going to put one down tomorrow after I run the wash I have now.
Do I need to boil the molasses to pasturise it. I have never bothered just dump the hot Dunder on it to dissolve it.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:10 pm

newbiboozer wrote:Has anyone got any feedback on this all molasses wash yet. I'm going to put one down tomorrow after I run the wash I have now.
Do I need to boil the molasses to pasturise it. I have never bothered just dump the hot Dunder on it to dissolve it.

I've only ever pasteurized but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work .....as long as you ferment it hot and fast ...and don't leave it to long before you distill it
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 pm

I put down a 60 liter wash today with 15 liters of molasses just scaled down the recipe from the Harvest to moonshine book. It fired up like I've never seen before and smells very strong. Will be interested to see the final product. I didn't clarify the molasses no offence but I'm just not comfortable drinking something that has had all sorts of acids in it.
The book states for a 1000 liter wash with 200 liters of molasses you could expect around 140 liters of 50% rum. My calculations that's 700 ml per liter of molasses so that would be around 10 liters of 50% from a 60 liter wash with 15 liters of molasses. Does this sound right. I have not seen yield like this from a sugar/molasses wash.
newbiboozer

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 pm

newbiboozer wrote:I put down a 60 liter wash today with 15 liters of molasses just scaled down the recipe from the Harvest to moonshine book. It fired up like I've never seen before and smells very strong. Will be interested to see the final product. I didn't clarify the molasses no offence but I'm just not comfortable drinking something that has had all sorts of acids in it.
The book states for a 1000 liter wash with 200 liters of molasses you could expect around 140 liters of 50% rum. My calculations that's 700 ml per liter of molasses so that would be around 10 liters of 50% from a 60 liter wash with 15 liters of molasses. Does this sound right. I have not seen yield likee this from a sugar/molasses wash.

Newbi
That amount of Molases you used is perfect .Funnily , that yeild is also what Bundy say they aim for ....700mls per Liter of Mollases.

Can't say I' i'm getting anywhere nere that ...If you do cuts .
On my last spirit run after cuts I got around 6 liters @ around 74% from 100 liters of wash .

Cut to 40% + that will be around 11.1 liters .

That will give me about 16 700ml bottles from 24 liters of mollases.

However , I do save all my heads and tails and run them through the VM and convert them into a vsry nice Baccardi white Rum so there are afew extra bottles gaineed there.
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:59 pm

No offense taken by you chooseing not to do the acid clarification method . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It is something I am working on ....although it seems to overcome some annoying process issues.

In fact what you have done is what this post was all about....making an all Mollases Wash with no added extra sugar...so good onya for having ago.
As you have seen , it works so far....and around here at least , mollasses is cheaper than sugar...I,ve still got several bags of brown sugar I will probably never need to use
Last edited by Sam. on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted double post
Yummyrum

Postby Dominator » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:31 pm

So I ran 25L of this through the bubbler today. As I said in the thread about clarifying, I used a skmilar version to yummys clarifying process, SG of 1.080, which seemed low. FG was 1.040. Ended up with quite a low yeild, 1.25L @ approx 92% then .5L of tails @ 60%. I am guessing my molasses has a low sugar content. I might have to do some experimenting to see how much more molasses I need. Initial smell is very different to my usual rum, not sure if it is due to the all molasses, clarifying process or both. I will have a taste tomorrow while making cuts and see what I think.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby newbiboozer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Any updates on this. I run mine tonight really low yield like just under 1,5 liters from a 60 liter wash.Dunno if I have something that stopped the ferment or just not much fermentable sugar in my molasses. It smells and tastes different to any sugar type I've done. Puked like a bitch with boiler only half full. I think I will have to give the clarifying a go. Would love to hear from anyone else playing with all molasses and clarification.
newbiboozer

Postby Brendan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:44 am

I ran a very small batch as a trial. Just a simple boil clarification to remove the solids/slurry...then watered it down to get the SG I was after...

It fermented out in a week to about 8%, and there was no puking or excessive foaming when boiled. The clarification was the main part that aided that, but I always use a few ml of anti-foaming solution in the boiler as well.

Can't comment on taste yet, but I'll get a larger batch going soon.

This was just a trial run of a fruit yeast on all molasses ;-)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 pm

I ran one a few weeks ago, 30l of straight molasses wash mixed with 15L of Macrum strip. It puked like a bastard to begin with, puke up to the 3rd plate.
Yes I knew from the start I was pushing things to the limit. :))
Turned the gas right off and let things settle down, cranked it up again to a steady boil and never had another problem.
The end result has only been on oak for a couple of weeks but is already smelling quite different to what I normally make.
I didn't bother with the clarifying,
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:38 pm

I partly clarified 20 litres of molasses and made up a wash to about 90 litres including about 20 litres of dunder. This wash has a much thicker feel than normal but I wanted to make the yield worthwhile, last time I over diluted and had to add some sugar to increase the potential yield.

Left it for over a month because there were still some small bubbles coming to the surface after a week and I haven't had a chance to runit since.

Stripped some of it last night in my 2 plate pot still with 2 elements going all the way through the run. Not a high yield, started coming off at about 50% when I usually start at closer to 80 with sugar containing washes. This is probably because the wash was lower alcohol content.

No puking at all but I didn't fill my keg as much as I usually do.

Wife just went to bed with headache so might as well stay up late tonight doing the next strip, no point going to bed with any expectations and my still doesn't get headaches.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby ekul » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 pm

When i do all mollasses run i mix 40L into 180L of water with 20-30L dunder. I dont think clarification is necessary, all those solids would fall to the bottom after its finished. My rum comes up pretty good. I wasn't a rum drinker when we started stilling, my brother was so we made a few runs of the rum first because that seemed easier. After tasting the product i quickly converted :)
ekul

equipment: none

Postby 5 o'clock » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:22 pm

I have stripped about 3/4 of my all molasses wash.

It has a burnt smell.

Is this common or have I burnt some while trying to clarify it or during the strip or have I used too much dunder?

I was planning on running this with another stripped wash which doesn't have the same smell. Would this be a mistake or will the final run clean it up?

Cheers,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby newbiboozer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:55 am

I'd say you've burnt it somehow. I done that trying to heat to clarify it to.
newbiboozer

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Guys ,if you try to heat molasses on its own ......it will burn .

If you pour everything into a Pot without stirring while adding Molasses ,the Molasses will sink straight to the bottom .........and it will Burn.

You must Either add the water or Dunder first and stir while adding the Mollases ..or stir the Fuck out of it before you turn on the heat
Yummyrum

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Guys ,if you try to heat molasses on its own ......it will burn .

If you pour everything into a Pot without stirring while adding Molasses ,the Molasses will sink straight to the bottom .........and it will Burn.

You must Either add the water or Dunder first and stir while adding the Mollases ..or stir the Fuck out of it before you turn on the heat

Just as it says in the original post if people care to read it :roll:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:15 pm

Hmm... :oops:

Some sound advice from 2 wise shiners right there x_x

Don't underestimate the power of reading...and re-reading...and reading again just to be sure to be sure

PS...my hair still smells smokey :roll:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby SBB » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 pm

A dash of common sense goes a far way when mixed with some reading.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 5 o'clock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 pm

With mine I was adding molasses slowly to the water before heating the water and stirring as much as I could.

I can't say for sure that none settled on the element for long enough to burn but I did try to avoid that as much as possible.

If it makes any difference my wash felt quite oily and there is visible oily residue in the still and lighter oils in the stripped product.
5 o'clock

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Mech you are right and I have just re-read 5oclocks post where he mentions leaving his Rum wash for a month before stripping.......and while normally I'd say a wash can last easily this long if unopened.
My only real bad Rum wash occured when I left a wash for over 3 weeks before stripping.
The resylt was a Rum that smelt like an ashtray....burnt ..maybe thats a good description ...but I think it was an infection of some kind...no amount of spirit runs or reflux runs would rid that wash from its stench .

In fairness, I have never used a closed fermenter for Rums .I used to use a cling wrapped plastic container before the wash tub .

Now I ferment Rum washes quick and strip quick........TPWs and WBAB is a different fish
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 pm

Richard.Sounds like what you were dong was reasonable .
That oiliness is interesting.I got a batch of Mollases from Norco that was stored in Transmission flyid 44s .It had transmission oil floating on top and stunk real bad.If it was my first purchase of mollases I may not have been any the wiser....I dumped this shit .....and shopped elsewhere that season.

Not saying....just another possability
Yummyrum

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development