George Washington moonshine recipe?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

George Washington moonshine recipe?

Postby George.bryant.nz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:59 pm

This probably isn't the right place to post, but does none have the above recipe or any more info about it?
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Re: George Washington moonshine recipe?

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby George.bryant.nz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Damn auto correct. I meant "any one" not "no one"
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby Linny » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:35 pm

what size are you looking at fermenting ?

my guess would be for a 28L ferment @ around 70-75 % efficiency

3.1 kg Cracked Corn
6.5 Kg Malted Rye
0.5 kg Malted Barley

that would put you in the area of

30% Corn
65% Rye
5% Barley

but remember Rye takes along time to come good , i think kiwikeg would be the person to give his opinion here.... i say give it a try and let us all know :handgestures-thumbupleft: dont over oak it though LOL
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:59 am

A historical tidbit that might be worth thinking about if you want to make as true a copy as you can. That far back, they used to put hops in their mash as well, it served as an antiseptic to keep mold and bacteria out. I'd imagine they had an effect on the flavor too
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:44 pm

hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby zombie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm

There is a PBS (US tv) show on his recipe, and a This Old House Episode where they discuss the same.
Who would have thought anyone cared!!!
Look up some Thomas Jefferson recopies. He reportedly made 12,000 gallons of rye whiskey per year out of Montecello. Booze is what funded the colonies, and made us what we are!

You Aussies have a sorted past. I think history makes us brothers of nutherr mothers. Some went east, and some went west. We all came from the same Sheet stock!

F_ck the bastards Béarla
zombie

Return to Recipe Development