American Applejack

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

American Applejack

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:58 am

This isn't a new or unproven recipe, however I'm putting it here so it can be tried and proven by the forum. I suppose you might call it distilled, but a still ain't used in its production.

What you'll need:

8L water
8L gallon apple juice
Roughly 3KG pounds of brown sugar
1-2 packs of wine or champagne yeast

Heat water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool to about 35C, add the apple juice and yeast. Stir it all up and allow to ferment (it's a slow worker). Once it's fermented, freeze the mixture until it's thick slush, but not solid. Then place a colander and funnel over any vessel you wish. Squish as much liquid from the ice as you can, and discard the ice.

Repeat this freezing/"stripping" processing until what you've got won't freeze anymore.

Traditionally this was made from apple cider. The kind with crushed apples, but I'm just a tad too lazy to make apple cider like that, and find the apple juice works just fine. Hope anyone who tries it enjoys! Cheers y'all!
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Re: American Applejack

Postby Smbjk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 am

Need a big freezer :D sounds nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 am

You can cut down the recipe to fit your needs. I've got a freezer the size of a refrigerator, so it works out for me.

A lot of people make it outside too during the winter here. If weather permits of course.
Last edited by MtnMoonshiner on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby Smbjk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 am

MtnMoonshiner wrote:You can cut down the recipe to fit your needs. I've got a freezer the size of a refrigerator, so it works out for me.

A lot of people make it outside too during the winter here. If weather permits of
Course.

Don't think outside freezing in brisbane is an option :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:30 am

No probably not, but maybe your Tasmanian brethren can give it a shot ;-)
MtnMoonshiner

Postby unsub » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

So there are no cuts being made? Nice headache material there! You get the fores, heads, hearts and tails.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 am

No way to make cuts, but it's pretty damn good I think. Worth the headache honestly!
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 am

MtnMoonshiner wrote:Worth the headache honestly!

I don't think anything is worth the headache :snooty:

It essentially looks like an apple cider/brandy recipe. You could consider distilling properly and ageing for a nice brandy, or white for a traditional German schnapps.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:49 am

I honestly haven't gotten a headache from this. It's low %, so unless you're swilling it down by the bucket....

But I guess you won't know unless you try it
MtnMoonshiner

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:31 pm

unsub wrote:So there are no cuts being made? Nice headache material there! You get the fores, heads, hearts and tails.

Ever drank beer or wine?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
unsub wrote:So there are no cuts being made? Nice headache material there! You get the fores, heads, hearts and tails.

Ever drank beer or wine?

or apple cider.

though after fermentation you could be looking at 4% ABV- light beer. then after removal of what freezes the ABV would go up, as you would be freezing the water out. eventually you would be left with apple juice concentrate and alcohol- ie the part the doesn't freeze. the ABV would be increased, thus more consumption of congeners.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby unsub » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Ever drank beer or wine?

Plenty of times but never removed the water from it via freezing (freeze distillation) leaving a much higher ABV spirit than normal beer or cider. :text-imwithstupid:
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Muppet » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:01 pm

I don't understand people knocking something they have never tried. No offence guys but I'll give this one a go myself. It's a long standing traditional recipe. Thanks mm for taking the time to post it. Cheers
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Muppet wrote:I don't understand people knocking something they have never tried. No offence guys but I'll give this one a go myself. It's a long standing traditional recipe. Thanks mm for taking the time to post it. Cheers

:text-+1: I will definitely give this a try when I have the chance (so maybe sometime in the next decade).

There would be more "bad stuff" in a bottle of red wine than there would be in a glass of this I reckon ;-)

There must be a reason this has continued to be made for a very long time, obviously it is goooood :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 pm

ok peeps settle down, there are recipes on here like this (imperial stout whiskey comes to mind). It is freeze rectifing and depending how many times you do this you can get it up to 40%. Bare in mind the higher you get it the more concentrated everything is including fores and faints. It is a traditional way to fortify a drink in the cold climates without distillation :handgestures-thumbupleft: wouldn't take it passed 15 or 20% myself :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 am

Cool :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'll be giving this one a crack,you ain't put me on a bum steer yet Mountain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just have to wait till Woolies or Coles put AJ back on special and go grab another dozen cartons :laughing-rolling: I need to make some more Apple and corn whiskey anyway :angry-banghead: The last lot seemed to evaporate pretty damn quick :D
This stuff would still be way better than half a goon :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Glad I do right by you, Pinto! Hopefully this recipe is just as enjoyable as the others for you!
MtnMoonshiner

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Pintobootleg wrote:I need to make some more Apple and corn whiskey anyway

never heard of it.. wassit?

also thanks Mountain, sounds like it'll be alright, definately something different.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 am

mymumsaidimcool wrote:
Pintobootleg wrote:I need to make some more Apple and corn whiskey anyway

never heard of it.. wassit?

also thanks Mountain, sounds like it'll be alright, definately something different.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3414&hilit=Split+brandy
MtnMoonshiner

Postby CHEROKEE » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:32 am

Hello MtnMoonshiner

Thank you for your input, a collective knowledge creates the best results. (Good one mate............ CHEERS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Return to Recipe Development