Beer. Can I make neutral?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi guys. Just been given a few 50l kegs full of old beer. Been sitting in a horse stable for 8yrs. Can I pot strip and then spirit run through my reflux? Any other ideas? Open to suggestions.
Cheers Ben. .
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby wedwards » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Do you know what sort of beer it is?
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:40 pm

No I hope to pick one up This arvo. Will this matter?
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby wedwards » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Just gives an idea about how heavy the end product might be in terms of retaining beer flavour. If it's a highly hopped IPA then you have an uphill battle to try and completely remove those flavours to end up with true neutral. You may find you need 2 runs through the reflux to try and get the flavour removed, and even then it might still come through.

Give it a go - worst case you waste some time. I would do as you've suggested and use the pot to strip and then 1 or 2 runs through reflux depending on what it tastes like.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Re: Beer. Can I make neutral?

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:08 pm

You can recover the alcohol but I doubt you will get it to neutral, I'd go for running twice thru your pot still, and then oaking the resulting spirit for a beer brandy.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Not too keen on the Eight years old bit though...
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Re: Beer. Can I make neutral?

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I had a few liters of stripped beer .I added it to my VM with the stripped 50 liters of weetbix wsh.I was worried that the hops would pass on but I was pleasantly supprised that the nutral was very clean with no hint of Hops.

So I would suggest adding it in small amounts each time you do a nutral Run
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Return to Recipe Development