MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

Postby Milky » Thu May 19, 2016 3:13 pm

It would be interesting to know how long someone has managed to keep this one on oak?

So...... Who has had some aging the longest?
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby robduca » Thu May 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Jan 2015 went on oak. Took it off last week. Haven't tried it yet :D
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Postby Milky » Thu May 19, 2016 4:27 pm

robduca wrote:Jan 2015 went on oak. Took it off last week. Haven't tried it yet :D

Wow! That's some good restraint! Please tell us here when you do taste it!
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Bushy » Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Pretty sure i got a gallon from august 2013. Should be nice. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
This is a seriously nice drink. I mucked around with generations and backset but the original recipe always came up the goods.
Last edited by Sam. on Sun May 22, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed smily
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Vatoe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Milky wrote:It would be interesting to know how long someone has managed to keep this one on oak?

So...... Who has had some aging the longest?

Back to the forum after a bit of a hiatus - life got in the way. I tell no lie but I have had some (approx 4 litres of each at 60%) on two different oaks (French and American) since 4/4/14! I have demolished three jars just recently and they have been bloody good. The last jar (american oak) I'm jealousy guarding, to see if I can go another year.

They have been so good, this will be my new mission to get enough of this stuff on rotation.

cheers

PS: The french oak ones were much darker in colour ( at least double) and had the edge over the american oaked jars in flavour.
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

Postby Roger » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 am

Going to have a crack at this recipe and after reading the comments sounds like it'll be a cracker!

What are people using to age? French or American? And what is the favorites?

Looking to use 10g/litre at 65% French Oak Dominos medium toasted and try and leave it alone for a year. I do have enough stock to keep me happy over this time, but the reviews on here have raved about how good it is, so will be hard to leave alone other than a few "tastings".

cheers
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:59 am

Vatoe wrote:PS: The french oak ones were much darker in colour ( at least double) and had the edge over the american oaked jars in flavour.

Yes, please give us more detail!

I've heard it before that French oak is better, but that could just be opinion... How much did you use (gm /L)? What level of roast (light/med/dark)?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 pm

so how is this vs a barley ag?
not really done sugar and grain before, done AG and sugar heads but never a combo
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby Vatoe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:34 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Vatoe wrote:PS: The french oak ones were much darker in colour ( at least double) and had the edge over the american oaked jars in flavour.

I've heard it before that French oak is better, but that could just be opinion... How much did you use (gm /L)? What level of roast (light/med/dark)?

Sorry missed this. I used one french oak domino (approx. 10 cm in length, medium) to one jar at 60% and guessing about 2 liters in volume. The colour went a dark brown (close to a mahogany) pretty quickly at first then settled. It had the edge over the american oak in flavour in my opinion as it seem to pull more from the wood.If you have tried Woodford Reserve 'distillers select' it around that in very broad terms but much darker in colour.
Vatoe

Postby bluc » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:31 pm

EziTasting wrote:

Throw in my 2 cents french always colours faster and side by side ends up a lot darker. I find it flavours up faster also but would not call it better both provide nice flavours but i like french in rum and american in whiskey..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:56 pm

:text-+1: on the colouring up, jury is still out on the long term flavour. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby EziTasting » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:16 pm

That's good to know and supports what I have read before!

What would you change with long term oaking? Or would you just leave one domino in there for up-to a year...?
EziTasting

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 pm

EziTasting wrote:That's good to know and supports what I have read before!

What would you change with long term oaking? Or would you just leave one domino in there for up-to a year...?
Hard to say Ezi, I long term age in barrels, I have a few different brews on Am Oak that I plan to leave long term, French is relatively new to me so apart from the quick colour up I really cant comment. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Vatoe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 am

Mine were in just over two years and I would say just about perfect in flavour - I guess the smaller volume/wood ratio allows it to 'age' quicker?
Vatoe

Postby EziTasting » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:13 am

Vatoe wrote:

Mine were in just over two years and I would say just about perfect in flavour - I guess the smaller volume/wood ratio allows it to 'age' quicker?

I have taken that away early on from the newbie section, but have been confused by conversations of 'over-oaking'...

So there's is THIS thread, that talks about leaving it (the oak) in for a year or 2, while others state theirs is over oaked after several months... Is this a personal taste issue, fallacy or does the 'over-Oaking' go away if you leave it in there for, say, a year?

I realise that no one has probably done the test on this and it's a more speculative question, but what are your thoughts?
EziTasting

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:48 am

Over-oaking is just as much about g/L as it is time...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Vatoe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Over-oaking is just as much about g/L as it is time...

Agreed, in my opinion (for what it is worth) this is exactly the issue. Just consider how much liquor is put in a normal size barrel and therefore the surface area that the liquor coming into contact with and the extended length of time they leave it in the barrel (plus natural loss/angels share) and it then really comes down g/l + time. What the exact formula is I dont know, but certainly there was definitely no over oaking on my batches. The beauty is you can have 'taste' through the aging process, just water it down to around ~40% mark and try it. There is no harm in doing this and as a side benefit of doing this it allows the liquor to have a 'breath' when you open the jar - which was something I was doing once every couple of months or so anyway when I remembered anyway. Who knows, my two years small batch could have been equivalent to 12 or more years large batch??
Vatoe

Postby Revelations » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm

So I've just put a batch of this into the fermenter. Hoping the results are what everyone is claiming. I will post results of this when I have run it through the still.
Revelations

equipment: 5L Air Still;
Black Maximus Reflux on a 30L Turbo Boiler;
Detuned Reflux on 20L Boiler
4" 6 Plate bubbler on 120L boiler

Postby Vatoe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:00 pm

I put a batch down (55 Litres) as well, but added 500 grammes of rye flour, to assess its impact ultimately on flavour.
Vatoe

Postby Cheersbigears » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:58 am

G'Day All
Looking at putting a 60lt batch down so it's ready to go when my new still turns up. Is just doubling up ok? Use raw sugar I would say as well? The Ale or Pilsner Malt is that the coopers stuff to make beer? or am I way off the mark here. The caramalt liquid extract can you get this from Woolies or is there something similar there that is the same and will do.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development