MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky

Postby Ryno » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 am

Ryno wrote:Put a MacWhiskey down on Monday as follows:

2kg medium peated malt
1 can of Briess CBW sparkling amber (they were out of Caramalt)
3kg Sugar
bakers yeast

You can really smell the peated malt. Smells fantastic. I guess the big decision to make is; Do I pot still (strip run) then run it through a 4 bubble plate (spirit run) OR just run it through a 4 bubble plate. Im wondering is there a big difference?

Just a quick update on this recipe I did above. Very smooth to drink. Ges really quick. However, don't bother with the peated malt. While is does have a great aroma while fermenting, none of the smokiness has carried over. And I mean none. Will do this recipe again this weekend and will try another malt. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ryno

equipment: 100 litre SS boiler
6 inch FSD (Blockhead) 4 Bubble Plate Still
500 mm packed section (filled with copper)
FSD Carter head on SS 60 litre boiler

Postby Bushy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Ryno wrote:
Ryno wrote:Put a MacWhiskey down on Monday as follows:

2kg medium peated malt
1 can of Briess CBW sparkling amber (they were out of Caramalt)
3kg Sugar
bakers yeast

You can really smell the peated malt. Smells fantastic. I guess the big decision to make is; Do I pot still (strip run) then run it through a 4 bubble plate (spirit run) OR just run it through a 4 bubble plate. Im wondering is there a big difference?

Just a quick update on this recipe I did above. Very smooth to drink. Ges really quick. However, don't bother with the peated malt. While is does have a great aroma while fermenting, none of the smokiness has carried over. And I mean none. Will do this recipe again this weekend and will try another malt. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bugger!. I wonder Ryno, if you steeped the grain in some hot water first, would it carry over the smoke. :think: Usin the backset yesterday I got the temp to 68, put the grain in and wrapped it for an hour. Tasting told me little because it was backset flavoured already.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Ryno » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:34 pm

hmmmm. It just might Bushy. :think:

I think you have just talked me into it. I will try it again this weekend (provided I can get some peated malt)

will let you know how I go.........
Ryno

MacWhisky

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm

You might find the peat will appear after being on oak for a while
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Ryno » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

cheers Sam and Liv

It has been on oak now for 1 week. Will keep an eye on it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ryno

Postby wedwards » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 am

For a 50L wash I normally mash 3kg of Simpsons peated malt and 9kg of pale malt. Have found that's a good ratio to my taste so there's a little peat but not too much. Incidentally if you invert the amounts, that's what is used to make glenmorangie which is what I started out with, but the peat was too strong for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

MacWhisky

Postby Stevem109r » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Finally got around to makin this one up, did 50/50 peat and non peat grain, used boiling water to dissolve the sugar then let the grain sit in that till it was cool enough for the yeast. Smellin good :)

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon :)
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby DaveZ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 am

Just put down 50 litres of this, but I used Crystal malt instead of Pilsner malt, it's all I've got at the moment. Can't wait to smell this stuff while it's fermenting, even more so to taste it once it's distilled. Edging closer and closer to jumping into an all grain :think:

I reckon this will have 3/5ths of fuckall chance of being aged, but is anyone else aging this on oak or are we all drinking it as fast as we can make it?
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby DaveZ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am

MacStill wrote:I'm going to put one of these down in the next day or so, but the grain bill will be 50/50 corn/ale malt :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How did this one go Mac?
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby Bushy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:23 pm

DaveZ wrote:Just put down 50 litres of this, but I used Crystal malt instead of Pilsner malt, it's all I've got at the moment. Can't wait to smell this stuff while it's fermenting, even more so to taste it once it's distilled. Edging closer and closer to jumping into an all grain :think:

I reckon this will have 3/5ths of fuckall chance of being aged, but is anyone else aging this on oak or are we all drinking it as fast as we can make it?

A healthy combination of both Dave. I still got about half the first run, which was all lager LME. Only taken a little off the second lot and havn't touched the last lot. I'm putting a toasted domino and a charred toasted domino in with each run. Not lookin too bad for some well aged Macwhisky. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby 7evan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 pm

Bit of a variation but should still turn out ok. :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 pm

evanmac710 wrote:Bit of a variation but should still turn out ok. :happy-partydance:

Nice list of goodies there mate what size wash are you planning to make or are you going to split them for smaller washes

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

MacWhisky

Postby Stevem109r » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 pm

That's looking like at least a 120lt wash. ???

Stevem109r
Site Donor

Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby 7evan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm

2 batches of 50L. Strip them both then do a slow spirit run as per Mac's original instructions. Hopefully turn out something drinkable. .... Mac?? :think:
7evan

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 am

evanmac710 wrote:2 batches of 50L. Strip them both then do a slow spirit run as per Mac's original instructions. Hopefully turn out something drinkable. .... Mac?? :think:

Yeah through a pot I reckon it'll need a while on oak to mellow out, but your plan is a good one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Let us know how it goes
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby markus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 am

Bushy wrote:I'm gonna do a second gen on this one Steve.
Thinkin fifteen litres backset, eight kg sugar, one kilo malt grain and one tin of amber caramalt. All back in on the old grain bed and top up to sixty. Thoughts anyone? :think:

Hey bushy have you run this wash with the backset yet?
Any noticeable flavour difference than a single gen??

Cheers markus
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby 7evan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 pm

MacStill wrote:
evanmac710 wrote:2 batches of 50L. Strip them both then do a slow spirit run as per Mac's original instructions. Hopefully turn out something drinkable. .... Mac?? :think:

Yeah through a pot I reckon it'll need a while on oak to mellow out, but your plan is a good one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Let us know how it goes

Mac, do I need to put any dunder in for the spirit run or is that a Rum thing? :think:
7evan

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm

evanmac710 wrote:
Mac, do I need to put any dunder in for the spirit run or is that a Rum thing? :think:

The recipe doesnt call for it. However, that doesnt mean that you cant do it...... It's up to you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby 7evan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 pm

The wife guarding 100L of the finest brew. Like a coiled spring. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7evan

MacWhisky

Postby Stevem109r » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

:[/quote]

Let us know how it goes[/quote]
Wat I put this down to run via a pot, is this not good for that.

Stevem109r
Site Donor

Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development