MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Best run through a pot or bubbler, you could unpack your Boka and leave the valve wide open though.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Best run through a pot or bubbler, you could unpack your Boka and leave the valve wide open though.

I'll give it a crack.
Knackerbag

equipment: 2" Boka
Bumblebee 4" Bubbler (early stages of production)

Postby Knackerbag » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I just filled up the fermenter the only ingredient I wasnt sure of was the caramalt liquid extract the lady at brewbarn told me this amber ale was the same thing, what do ya reckon? Its in there anyways to late to change it now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knackerbag

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm

That'll work fine mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: let us know how you go!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Knackerbag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:29 am

Where is everyone buying there oak for ageing? I got some barrel chunks made by essencia it was $30 for 500g
Knackerbag

Postby rumsponge » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:33 am

try this
http://www.5stardistilling.net/american-oak-dominoes-1kg/

notice the price difference ? 5 star also have french oak
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Knackerbag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 am

rumsponge wrote:try this
http://www.5stardistilling.net/american-oak-dominoes-1kg/

notice the price difference ? 5 star also have french oak

Thank you
Knackerbag

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Knackerbag wrote:Where is everyone buying there oak for ageing? I got some barrel chunks made by essencia it was $30 for 500g

Reading this site THOROUGHLY not only saves you money but could potentially save your life. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Knackerbag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:
Knackerbag wrote:Where is everyone buying there oak for ageing? I got some barrel chunks made by essencia it was $30 for 500g

Reading this site THOROUGHLY not only saves you money but could potentially save your life. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Fair go mate you know how many post are on this site. I have been asking the local hbs for dominoes but they haven't heard of them.
Knackerbag

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Sorry knackers, I'm not trying to diss you. I know there are a kardashian's buttload of threads on this site, many of which you will never need to read because you have no plans to make whatever drink or use whichever still or technique is described in said thread.

And that is fine. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If I wanted to make 1 product using 1 still, I would read EVERY post pertaining to that wash, even if it is 20 pages long. Then I'd read every post on the operation of the relevant still, with regards to this still & others.

This is a science, and every wash & run will behave slightly different. There are always variables. Slight variations can cause drastic changes to your end product.

Personally, I studied this site AND other distilling sites for about 6 months before I felt comfortable enough to actually join this site & run the still I was given.

And I always do a site search before I ask a question :happy-partydance:
Dig Brinker

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:Sorry knackers, I'm not trying to diss you. I know there are a kardashian's buttload of threads on this site, many of which you will never need to read because you have no plans to make whatever drink or use whichever still or technique is described in said thread.

If I wanted to make 1 product using 1 still, I would read EVERY post pertaining to that wash, even if it is 20 pages long. Then I'd read every post on the operation of the relevant still, with regards to this still & others.

This is a science, and every wash & run will behave slightly different. There are always variables. Slight variations can cause drastic changes to your end product.

Personally, I studied this site AND other distilling sites for about 6 months before I felt comfortable enough to actually join this site & run the still I was given.

The main thing is, I'd hate to see someone hurt themselves or others during the course of this hobby. If we want to make this hobby legal we have to show that even 'amateurs' can create a safe product. :-B
Dig Brinker

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:05 pm

And your local HBS will always stiff you, plenty of threads about that here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Dig Brinker

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:Sorry knackers, I'm not trying to diss you. I know there are a kardashian's buttload of threads on this site, many of which you will never need to read because you have no plans to make whatever drink or use whichever still or technique is described in said thread.

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:25 am

Knackerbag wrote:
Dig Brinker wrote:

Fair go mate you know how many post are on this site. I have been asking the local hbs for dominoes but they haven't heard of them.

If your in Melbourne there are a lot of suppliers to the wine industry that may have what you want .
wynnum1

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:38 am

The 'search our site' button on the banner at the top is your first port of call :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Knackerbag » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:14 am

I understand you want people to do their own research l, I read through these threads daily trying to learn what I can. What's the point of a forum if ya can't have a chat and get different people's opinions. You can read and read and not absorb everything. You don't have to reply to the post
Knackerbag

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:59 am

You're doing good mate, don't panic :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Plumby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 am

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Knackerbag » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 am

I think I missed the boat when adding the yeast it was still to hot before going to bed so I added it in the morning below temp. It's been 2 days and no bubbles :mad: I think I'll have to start again. Do you guys mix your yeas in water before adding or just add the dry yeast straight to the fermenter?
Knackerbag

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:22 am

Did you lift the lid to check? Perhaps put your ear to the side of the fermenter and check for fizzing.
If nothing don't ditch the wash, either heat it up with an aquarium heater or heat pad/belt or rehydrate some more yeast and chuck it in.
I rehydrate yeast in a 5L jug with around 1L of warm water and a teaspoon of sugar.
Just watch it though, she likes to foam up....
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development