MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Joycy wrote:How long do you normally let it age for? I've seen mixed stories on how long lads have the patients for :))
How slow do you run it in the bubbler? Do you control it with a power controller or just let it run on full blast?

The longer you leave it the better... it does taste pretty good straight off the still though which is the problem. I havent run this one through my bubbler as yet, but i would just stick to 2- 2.5 ltrs/hour. Any faster will cause smearing of cuts.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 pm

Latest batch is just a young 2 months old now and only just developing it’s nice flavour. 15g/ l and I think it’ll need another month or three. I run ngw or wbab in the meantime to keep up with my drinking habit so I’m not tempted to touch the macwhiskey
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Joycy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Dan and Doubleuj, What are your opinions of what it should snell/taste like off the still? I've finished a 40l wash yesterday and let it rest for 24 hrs. I'm now going to make my cuts (first time with whiskey) but not sure what to expect since it doesn't really smell like any whiskey I have ever had. Is this just because of its youth? It will develop as I oak it? Is it possible done in it too slow through a bubbler and strip too much flavour out?
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Joycy wrote:Dan and Doubleuj, What are your opinions of what it should snell/taste like off the still? I've finished a 40l wash yesterday and let it rest for 24 hrs. I'm now going to make my cuts (first time with whiskey) but not sure what to expect since it doesn't really smell like any whiskey I have ever had. Is this just because of its youth? It will develop as I oak it? Is it possible done in it too slow through a bubbler and strip too much flavour out?

Haven't done this recipe for a while now so cant really remember say too much about what to look for. When i go through and do my cuts i start in the middle of my cut jars as this is always hearts for me and i use this as my reference when tasting jars towards both heads and the tails.
When tasting towards heads i look for the jar that starts to have that distinct bite/burn to it. I really dont have any desire to add any heads to my finished products.. some do though.
When tasting towards tails i usually go until it has that funk that really doesnt taste great. Getting the tails cut right for me is usually the one i procrastinate on the most as the tails are where some of the nice flavours come from. I long term age most of what i make so the funkyness disappears with time. Ive been adding a bit more of the tails to my rums to try and get those rummy flavours. Cuts really are a personal taste thing and you will work out what works for you with time.
As for oaking, that is where i feel the flavours and backbone are really built and brought to the table... the simple answer for how long to age, "the longer the better"
Hope this helps and i really stress that this is my experinces, not necessarily how everyone would do it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby Joycy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks Dan, helps a lot. I've done my cuts and have it on oak at the minute but no idea how I have done with it. I found it hard with the smell and taste, it just didn't really smell or taste like whiskey I've ever had and with it being my first time with whiskey I don't know what to expect
Joycy

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:48 pm

I find with cuts instead of looking for rum/whiskey flavours look for change in the spirit. First few will be harsh but silimlar, then there will be a "change" hearts will be all be similar, but as you near the end again there is a change. Note where it changes, i dont go back and re taste heads I ditch it all. But towards tails i find it changes twice. First change you will get a raw grassy grain flavour stronger then during hearts. I keep these and then it will change again to a more unpleasant offensive flavour, I dont keep any of this, and also oil (fussel oil) will be present and visble in the jar ..As you progress and get more experience take note of the flavours you get in heads and tails from your particular mashs, i have noticed flavours like bubblegum and fruity flavours like green apple for one and also solvent acetone nail polish flavours in heads. And have noticed wet mouldy cardboard and wet dog hair type flavours in tails.

This is just the way I do my cuts ..
Last edited by bluc on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Joycy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks bluc, maybe I'm just getting confused because my brain is expecting it to smell like something off a shelf rather than just concentrating on good and bad smells/tastes. I'm going to put down a rum next, I will be more careful and take more time next time to really try get a grip with the different smells and tastes
Joycy

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:06 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: a lot of the smell taste comes from barrel especially with long term aged stuff like off the shelf spirits..so you will notice some of the same smell tastes but may take a while to get tuned into them. Especially sugar based stuff. At the start most of it tastes pretty neutral. Rum was a little different and for me easier to do cuts as the smell taste is a lot more familiar being a rum drinker for many years...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby dans.brew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 pm

I agree with bluc... i dont look for specific flavours as such, but aim for a tasty hearts cut with no nasty flavours.
Some of the most enjoyable flavours I've gotten in my rum and whiskey have in fact developed while its oaking, especially long term.
dans.brew

Postby Lowie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Doubleuj wrote:I make it, I love it. It’s the only stuff that I let age properly because it’s sooo good. I just do a single run through the bubbler

Wot he said. :text-+1: :drool:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Lowie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Here's a tip for young players...When you're starting out and getting your nose "dialed in", try filling your cuts jars to say 100 or 150ml, will require a lot more jars but it will help you distinguish the falvour changes as the other boys have said.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: MacWhisky

Postby virge » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Pugdog1 wrote:ok be prepared for a potentially stupid question here, ive never made anything bar neutrals (im using a t500), could I run this recipe through my still on reflux?

Only if it's the de tuneable type otherwise you will strip too much flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just built a T500 copy. What do you mean with detuning?
I have a MacWhisky batch bubling since yesterday.
virge

equipment: DIY potstill

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:00 pm

"Detune" remove packing and run as a pot still. Since you made yours i would guess to say it would be safe to just run water to pc. Would make it a pot still. Real t500 has plastic bits that will warp at high temp. :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby virge » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm

True, no plastic or brass in my still. I was thinking that maybe if I only remove the packing and I run the small 6 wounds reflux coil it will be closed to a bubbler. But I don't know what to expect in ABV like. If I would know the bubbler ABV I would be able to adjust heat and coil temperature to get similar results.
I would do it maybe with another wash, it would be a pity to waste this wash. So potstill it is. I will do a strip run first and then I will do a lot of cuts for the spirit run. How much foreshots do you get from 27l wash ?
Last edited by virge on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virge

Postby virge » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:50 am

I had this wash started on Wednesday and it was bubbling continuously for 3 days and then it stopped completely.
I did not have Caramalt LME but some equivalent.
I tasted the wash, not sweet anymore but not dry either, some little activity there. Should I wait to clear and potstill it?
virge

Postby db1979 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 am

virge wrote:I had this wash started on Wednesday and it was bubbling continuously for 3 days and then it stopped completely.
I did not have Caramalt LME but some equivalent.
I tasted the wash, not sweet anymore but not dry either, some little activity there. Should I wait to clear and potstill it?

Bubbling stopping can be due to a leak in your fermenter, one that was too small at the start when the ferment is vigorous and once it slows down the leak means your airlock no longer has activity. If your airlock has a difference in water levels then you don't have a leak. I don't bother with lids and airlocks; just glad wrap. Can you hear any activity if you put your ear up to the fermenter? If you wait until it clears then it'll be finished fermenting then anyway and ready to run.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby virge » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm

I didn't check the water level in the airlock yesterday but I opened the lid to check what's going on inside. it is a new 30 fermenter I bought from brewmart. today I checked and the water is not level and there is bubbling, not continous but every now and then.
You are right about the leack in the fermenter. I just used 25L fermenting buckets before and never had this issues. The 30L I bought specially for Mac's Whisky.
virge

Postby Squid boy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Does MacWhiskey benefit from multiple generations or best in single runs?
Squid boy

equipment: T500 copper reflux still
2” Pelican Pot still

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Yes as in all backset washs the flavour intensifies with generations :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Squid boy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 pm

I read in one post generations peak at No6 but another mentioned he was on No13, I have just finished No6 of a CFW. Should I continue with more generations or start over.
Squid boy

equipment: T500 copper reflux still
2” Pelican Pot still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development