Pastis/Arak/Ouzo Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Pastis/Arak/Ouzo

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:27 am

Gday Fed,

I've not thought of fermenting a wash with these ingredients. I'm not saying it won't work. I have no idea if it will or not.

But as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Give it a go and let me know how it went :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Its a good drop made to recipe though. I make a lot of ouzo and find that this drink provides a nice alternative to the traditional.

Woodsy
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby SBB » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:38 am

Fed wrote:Quick question, would this work if all the ingredients were thrown in at the wash stage then run through the pot still?

Personally I wouldn't try n do it that way , This is a good recipe as it stands.
I see a number of problems.
1If you put the ingredients in a wash what are you achieving? Your going to have to go down the path of making cuts on all of the spirit that leaves the still.
By using good neutral to begin with you avoid that and only need to take a very small fores cut as stated in the original recipe.

2 What sort of wash are you going to add the botanical to? what sort of still will you use to run it?
Again more problems. Run a TPW wash with botanicals in it though a pot its gunna taste like shit in my opinion. Use a reflux and it will strip most of the flavor out.

What I can say is that the original recipe if followed makes fine drop.

Woodsy71 wrote:My understanding is that you need to use a neutral spirit to macerate the botanicals prior to distilling

You don't need to macerate prior to distilling for the ouzo, the flavors come through quite strong enough as is , throw all ingredients in the boiler and fire her up.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Fed » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 am

G'day SBB

I was going to run it through a pot still. a mate wants me to make ararak for him, similar ingredients and run it 3-4 times (His request), but I might try the original recipe and see if he knows the difference.

Cheers
Fed
Fed

equipment: 25L off the rack with 2 inch pot from Mac

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Found an 8 month old bottle of this in the shed.

Its a super drop. :happy-partydance:

Not sure if its my imagination, but it tastes better than it did at bottling.

Might have to whip up another batch for comparison :D
Woodsy71

Postby badbird » Wed May 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:Found an 8 month old bottle of this in the shed.

Half your luck!!
Ive really got the taste for this stuff lately, did 4L a couple of days ago but realistically maybe I should just do a 44Gal drum of it and I can have some aged stuff in 8 months too :-D :-D
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Re: Pastis/Arak/Ouzo Recipe Discussion

Postby N95Girl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi guys, I have a t500 with the original condenser, so can only make neutrals. Can I soaked these ingredients in the neutral at 40% and get a good flavoured result?
N95Girl

equipment: T500 Copper

Postby badbird » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:46 am

No. I presoak the botanicals sometimes before redistilling, you wont be happy with the results.

You need a pot still head of some kind for the boiler or can you get the packing out of the T500?

bb
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Postby SBB » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Badbird is spot on with is advise N95....it just isn't the same, infact its down right horrible.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby N95Girl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Bumma!

~x(
N95Girl

equipment: T500 Copper

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm planning to a batch of this tomorrow night. Seems like most folks just chuck the lot in the boiler and go for it. Would there be any advantage in macerating the botanicals overnight in the neutral as is done with absinthe?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:34 am

Professor Green wrote:I'm planning to a batch of this tomorrow night. Seems like most folks just chuck the lot in the boiler and go for it. Would there be any advantage in macerating the botanicals overnight in the neutral as is done with absinthe?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

No mate.

I tried this with a batch and all i achieved was a distinct bitterness in the end product.

I reckon one or more of the botanicals soured during the maceration :think:

Every other run worked a treat running it straight away.

This is a super drop, a nice play on ouzo, and a regular on my top shelf :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:53 am

OK Thanks.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Wow! This is an amazing recipe. Just tried a bit of this straight off the still and it is unbelievably good. I'm a big fan of aniseed based drinks and this certainly compares favourably with the common commercial pastis offerings such as Ricard or Pernod.

For what it's worth, I did stick the botanicals in the neutral before I headed off for work this morning so they'd been macerating for about 12 hours (didn't see your reply Woodsy71 until it was too late!) and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

A little tip for anyone who doesn't want to wait for the fennel to dry; spread the fennel sprigs out on baking paper on a tray and pop them in the oven at it's very lowest setting for 30-40 minutes then check then to see if they are dry. If not, leave them for another 10 minutes and try again. Keep doing so until they are dry. Mine took me about an hour at roughly 100 deg Celsius.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby beaull » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi guys
I love Pastis. I currently have a T500 column on a 35liter boiler driven by a 4 ring Rambo with low pressure regulator
Do i need a pot still to make this recipe.
beaull

equipment: still spirits t500
still spirits boiler 25 years old

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:26 pm

This was answered just above by Badbird....
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Dogfish » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 am

Hi,

So I'd like to give this ago. I only want a smallish batch - say no more than 5ltrs finished product.
Can I do this with a 50 ltr keg boiler by just filling half way with water to make sure the element is covered, or do I need to make or purchase a small pot still for re-distilling maceration's?
Dogfish

equipment: 2" VM Still. 1.5 meter column with 3/4" take off. Keg boiler.

Postby scythe » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:46 am

Filling till the elements are covered is a valid method.
Try using hot tap water to save on your heat up time.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Depends how many litres water you need. You may wnd up with real low proof spirit especially with a pot..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumsponge » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:42 am

So I'd like to give this ago. I only want a smallish batch - say no more than 5ltrs finished product.
Can I do this with a 50 ltr keg boiler by just filling half way with water to make sure the element is covered, or do I need to make or purchase a small pot still for re-distilling maceration's?

Really depends on your setup. How much liquid do you need to cover the elements ?
I would aim to charge the boiler with 15L of 20% ABV hearts, which should give you ~5L of finished product (give or a take a liter). When running this through a pot still with the spices, you will start collecting at ~80% and ABV will drop from there. Collect down to ~20% ABV. Combine all the cuts and you should end up with ~45-55% ABV (remember to use only good hearts) drinkable product wihtout further dilution.
In my 50L boiler, I need 20L boiler charge to have one element still covered at the end of the run (~12L). BEcause I am still experimenting and, like you, prefer smaller batch sizes, I made a second boiler 20L keg, where I can get away with 10L boiler charge (at 20% will give me 3-4 L of finished product). Obviously, one could also get rid of the element and go gas fired...or use one of those T500 boilers.

Cheers, RS
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby beaull » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 pm

I just made the nicest drink,
I distilled to make a clear spirit with a reflux column, 90%, watered it down to 60% and filtered it through coconut charcoal.
I flavoured the alcohol with star anise etc as per recipe, filtered it with filter paper. (No Pot still) mixed with lots of ice and soda water.
what a wonderful drink.
beaull

equipment: still spirits t500
still spirits boiler 25 years old

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development