Espresso Infused Vodka Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Can't find it right now but one of our members posted an eBay link for 10 beans for $10...best price I've seen.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:18 pm

MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby cuz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:36 pm

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Postby cuz » Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:
cuz wrote:Thanks for this recipe guys!!

After yesterdays performance, I now have lots of neutral to play with.

1st cab off the rank was this one. Followed the 1st post recipe except used about 300gms of sugar and used vanilla paste instead of beans.
Made about 1 litre ish, so its slowly brew away as we speak. Looks and smells wonderful already!!

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wait a month if you can.

Try my banana liqueur:

1L neutral
3 bananas
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup sugar syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Leave it 5 days, do a rough filter through a seive. Add another 2 bananas & wait another 5 days.

Then do a filter through cheese cloth or a clean tea towel or coffee filters.

This shit disappears too fast. Tastiest shot ever!

How on earth did I miss this post!! :teasing-nutkick: :teasing-nutkick: :teasing-nutkick: :teasing-nutkick:

So sorry BackyardBrewer, I was checking the recipe out to make another batch of this and just came across you old post now.

I'm off to buy bananas... ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Postby SBB » Sat May 11, 2013 1:46 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:why does the paste win for ya?

Seemed to me to produce a better flavour, When I used proper Vanilla beans they didn't seem to give a lot of flavor, could have been crook batch of beans or too old.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Matt S » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Has anyone tried placing a heap of instand coffee in your finished neutral and then running it through the pot still? Would this keep the taste, but remove colour?
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Re: Espresso Infused Vodka Discussion

Postby Satly_Dog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:54 pm

How do most of you drink this Espresso Infused Vodka?

Is it meant to be like the Espresso Martinis all the young kids are drinking these days?
Or is it used with a mixer? if so, what mixer would you use?

Im kind of struggling to get my head around it, but intrigued to make some
I see there are commercial versions
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/D ... odka-700ml
Satly_Dog

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby bayshine » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:19 pm

I make mine at 40 abv and shoot it straight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Satly_Dog » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 am

Ok, i made 2 batches of this

First Batch: I just followed the original recipe

Second Batch: I used some ideas from this thread and cold infused or cold brewed some coffee.

I had already been making Cold Brew Vietnamese Coffee for a year
Vietnamese Coffee has a Chocolate / Hickory flavour to it, just smelling the ground coffee is heaven.
Just make sure you have 1 part Coffee to 2 parts water, let sit in a Jar over night, then strain the next day
Mix the Cold Filtered Coffee with a Neutral to 40%

Or

1 Part Coffee to 4 Parts 40% Neutral (then you don't need to water it down), in jar over night, then filter.

Now, my drink suggestion for the Second Batch:

1 Part Condensed Milk
4 Parts Vietnamese Coffee Vodka
Mix and Pour into a tall glass with ice

You can vary the above ratio depending on the thickness or sweetness you require.

Supplies:

Vietnamese Coffee
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321028975474 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Enjoy :)
Satly_Dog

Postby Satly_Dog » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:53 pm

The Original Recipe here is very similar to this

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Espresso-Vodka

So for those looking for a step by step with pictures, this might be helpful :)
Satly_Dog

Postby toadskin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Has anyone tried this recipe using spirit from a molasses rum wash? I think the two would compliment each other.
toadskin

equipment: Home made Reflux still with Liebig condenser and a home made 2" Pot Still with Liebig.

Postby the Doctor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

toadskin wrote:Has anyone tried this recipe using spirit from a molasses rum wash? I think the two would compliment each other.

Most old school coffee liqueurs used rum or brandy...we use Vodka for the base of our Le Caf coffee and maple syrup liqueur, for one simple reason...we tried other spirits and just felt that the vodka base gave a cleaner espresso flavour...if you want to try something really cool try injecting coffee liqueur into BBQ meats...the coffee caramelizes and gives the meat an amazing taste...we even inject our turkey breast for the restaurant...the results are delicious.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby bayshine » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm

toadskin wrote:Has anyone tried this recipe using spirit from a molasses rum wash? I think the two would compliment each other.

Works well with rum, I’ve put my version in the recipe Development section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 pm

I made this one up a couple of days ago, looking forward to tasting it in a day or few...

Used:
2 espresso coffee pods in my coffee machine (225mL)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
450g sugar
250mL neutral hearts @ 91%abv
250mL filtered water

IMG_20200327_131708.jpg
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:22 pm

Well, this stuff is terrible :crying-blue:

I let my wife try it and now I can't keep up the supply with the demand! :laughing-rolling:

Seriously though, we both found that the original recipe was a bit too sweet for our taste. So I made another batch, just without adding the sugar - effectively halving the amount of sugar in it.

Now it's just awesome. We start off happy hour each night with one or two Espresso Quarantinis :obscene-drinkingchug: :text-lol:
Tesla101

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Hey guys, after about 3 months of tweaking this recipe for our tastes, here's where we've landed.

We agreed the original recipe was a little too sweet for our taste so we reduced the sugar a bit. For the coffee, I started off using coffee pods in a domestic coffee machine which tasted great, but I wasn't happy with the sediment at the bottom even though I filtered it through coffee filter papers.

I bought a cheap cold brew coffee machine online which has improved the taste dramatically. IMHO hot brew coffee not only leaves sediment which is hard to filter, but also leaves a bitter after taste. The cold brew eliminates both of those problems - a much smoother drink that's also 99% sediment free.

Here's my updated and scaled up recipe:

Ingredients:-
1L ~93% neutral hearts
1L cold brewed coffee
1L filtered water
500g white sugar
1 vanilla bean, split length ways

Method:-
1. Cold brew freshly ground coffee according to your machine's instructions. Mine makes 600mL at a time, so I do two batches. Takes about 24 hours to do both. (Tip: cold brewed coffee will keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, so you can brew ahead)
2. Boil just over 1L of water. Once boiled transfer 1L into a saucepan. I use filtered rainwater, just because.
3. Slowly dissolve the sugar in the hot water.
4. Allow the sugar water to cool to room temperature. I pop the saucepan in the kitchen sink and fill with cold water to reduce the cooling time.
5. In a 5L demijohn add the coffee and the sugar water.
6. Add the 1L neutral to the coffee/water.
7. Split the vanilla bean length ways and drop in into the demi.
8. Seal the demi, give it a good swirl. Every second day, open the demi, give it a swirl and allow the "stale" air to be replaced with "fresh" air. Give it a sniff and a "distiller's privilege" taste test.

I remove the vanilla bean and bottle mine after about a week. Since using cold brewed coffee I don't even strain it, a vanilla bean seed or two in a bottle I think is a nice touch.

We drink it two ways - 3 ice cubes and 100mL in the blender for 30 seconds, like an espresso martini. Or a shot neat as an after dinner coffee liqueur.

Delicious!

It will get better with age, especially after a week or so. Try not to wolf it down too quickly!
Tesla101

Previous

Return to Recipe Development