Espresso Infused Vodka Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Espresso Infused Vodka Discussion

Postby Heffers » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm

This thread has been started for any one wishing to discuss the making of Espresso Infused Vodka
The original Tried and Proven recipe can be found in the Tried and Proven section of the forum or by clicking HERE

I made this last week and used Gloria Jeans Caramel coffee beans to make the espresso. When I made the coffee it was in a percolator and I put it through twice to get lots of flavour out of it. Everything else was as per the recipe above.

This stuff is absolutely fantastic, I will always have a couple of bottles of this on hand from now on.

Thanks to SBB for posting up the recipe, and thanks to lacedspirits (if you ever get to read this) for sharing.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Re: Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby SBB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Glad ya like it Heffers......I reckon its good stuff too. I have 5L of it put away to age a while......apparently it improves further given a couple of months. (keeping it put away is a problem)
(quote Heffers)"Gloria Jeans Caramel coffee beans to make the espresso"
Yeah Ive been eyeing that off too......They also make a Hazel Nut one I think could be good too.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby grehund » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 pm

I've just made up some of this recipe myself. It smells & tastes great already. Looking forward to trying the finished product next weekend. I'll post back with my final thoughts next week.
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby radiatorboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Made some up the other week. use vanilla paste and tasted great straight away. but ever better after a week. going to have to make a couple of litres next one. :dance: :dance:
radiatorboy

equipment: nixon stone offset reflux still
pot still
making 6 plated bubble cap

Postby maheel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

hey SBB

tell me more about the "espresso" your using...

are we talking 8 real shots of espresso from a coffee machine or something else ?

thanks
Maheel
maheel

Postby radiatorboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 pm

thats that i used espresso out of a coffee machine with fresh beans.
radiatorboy

pot still

Postby SBB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 am

maheel wrote:tell me more about the "espresso" your using

Yes Maheel I used real expresso from a machine.......Ive made a few batches now. The best one to date I used more coffee than recommended in the original recipe. The ground coffee was a heavy roasted Italian type coffee. What is left of it has been sitting for 6 months now and gets better and better.
Theres nothing wrong with the original recipe......I just prefer a stronger coffee taste. It goes really well used as a topping for icecream too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I also tried making some using Gloria Jeans Hazelnut Coffee.......did that one in a plunger.......it turned out well too.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:17 pm

cool thanks

got my own machine and my home roasted beans :) will give it a try :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maheel

Postby radiatorboy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:16 pm

got bored today and felt like a irish coffee so mix some scotch with the expresso vodka. oh my god i'm i heaven :o . if you like irish coffee you have to give is a go.
radiatorboy

pot still

Postby bang300 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:53 am

We do similar, but with rum...better than Factory Kahlua. The rum ads a little butter flavor.
bang300

equipment: Condenser Controlled VM

Postby grehund » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 pm

I've made 2 bottles of this already, they haven't lasted more than about a week. :lol: I love the stuff. I prefer it to Kahlua.

Unfortunately, some of my friends think the coffee flavour is too strong, and they would prefer a thicker liquid, like Kahlua. So I'm going to try another couple of recipes to see what I get.
grehund

Postby R-sole » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1170

Just put a tried and proven one up for you.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby grehund » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks for the post, 5Star. I'll give that one a try next.

I think I need to find a recipe that includes cocoa beans or something, as I'm sure real Kahlua uses them. Kahlua has a much more chocolatey flavour than all these recipes I'm trying that just use coffee, sugar and vanilla.
grehund

Postby stilly_bugger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:09 pm

SBB wrote:Recipe:
1. 500mL Vodka; 100 proof
2. 250mL cup Espresso
3. 1 lb Sugar
4. 1 bean Vanilla, Split or 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract

I bought the vanilla beans to make this. Before I do, just to double check, this recipe uses 1 pound (454g) of sugar per 750mL?

Better make a bottle for drinking next week and a few for aging. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by stilly_bugger on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby R-sole » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 am

Best to start with half sugar for all these type recipes i reckon. Can't take it back out.

Well you can, but it means redistilling.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby grehund » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I used that amount of sugar and still found it to be much more "watery" than real Kahlua. It depends what you're after though. As 5Star said, you can always add more in if it's not thick enough or sweet enough for you.
grehund

Postby R-sole » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:10 am

If you want thickness in the spirit without sweetness try glycerin. Or substitute some of the sugar for glucose for a sweet thickener.

I really don't think this recipe is supposed to emulate Kahlua, there is another recipe here that does a very good job of that. I understand this recipe to be a coffee vodka.
R-sole

Postby Jesiah » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 am

Add some agave syrup to it for a coffee / tequila flavour. Will be one of my first infusions once I get my still
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby pootan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:58 am

Tried this and it came out really good. Some seasoned Kahlua drinkers rated it better than "the real stuff" .

On the second batch I also added tablespoon of pure chocolate extract and gave it a nice finish.
pootan

equipment: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Postby grehund » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 pm

pootan wrote:Tried this and it came out really good. Some seasoned Kahlua drinkers rated it better than "the real stuff" .

On the second batch I also added tablespoon of pure chocolate extract and gave it a nice finish.

Where can you get "pure chocolate extract"? Does it taste like Chocolate? I was thinking of using Cacao Beans/Nibs, but I think Choc Extract could be a better answer!
grehund

Next

Return to Recipe Development