Limoncello Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Limoncello

Postby adama » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm

this place is worth a look:

http://limoncelloquest.com/
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Postby klacker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am

adama wrote:this place is worth a look:

http://limoncelloquest.com/

absolutely.. good info on there.

i'm lucky to a have an orange, lemon and lime tree in the yard so i use all my own fruit :)

last batch i did was with limes. thinly peeled a dozen with a really sharp veg peeler, used 1.5l of neutral around 93% from a tpw. maceration kicked off pretty quickly, reckon it was well on the way after 24 hours, ended up leaving it a month. watered down with 2.5l to 35% and added 2.2kg sugar for the syrup. final volume was 5l.

might mess with the sugar quantities, though have been told 500g a litre is the norm.
klacker

equipment: Beer - DIY twin tap keg setup
Spirit - Ultra Pure

Postby Boomgate » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:09 pm

I didnt have any 95% handy, so used 45%.

I let it sit for about 4 weeks and regularly shook it. The flavour came out fine but it was only slightly yellow when finished. Strained it and added 700ML of sugar and 750ML of 40% and a few drops of yellow food colouring to augment the yellow.

The flavour is fantastic, and the colour looks fine.... Would have prefered to avoid the food colouring and probably should have, but the final result looks pretty damned good, specially when the bottle has been in the freezer...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Just put some on and this time used a microplanehttp://usa.microplane.com/microplaneclassicserieszestergrater.aspx.aspxwithin about 5 min it had taken on the colour, looking forward to this :D
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Bnr032 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:48 am

just thought i would post that i used these methods but instead swapped in orange peels instead of lemons ( personally not a massive fan of lemon).

Still works an absolute treat. will have to definitely make more.
I will also be trialling a lemon/lime variety. Just deciding whether to start separately then mix. or start then together from the start...
Michael
Bnr032

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am

Urrazeb wrote:Just put some on and this time used a microplanehttp://usa.microplane.com/microplaneclassicserieszestergrater.aspx.aspxwithin about 5 min it had taken on the colour, looking forward to this :D
Yes big w has ones almost the same about 3 min to do 10 lemons $8 or 9 dollars
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Boomgate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Bnr032 wrote:just thought i would post that i used these methods but instead swapped in orange peels instead of lemons ( personally not a massive fan of lemon).

Still works an absolute treat. will have to definitely make more.
I will also be trialling a lemon/lime variety. Just deciding whether to start separately then mix. or start then together from the start...
Michael

I think that would be Triple Sec then...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby crow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Boomgate wrote:
Bnr032 wrote:just thought i would post that i used these methods but instead swapped in orange peels instead of lemons ( personally not a massive fan of lemon).Still works an absolute treat. will have to definitely make more.I will also be trialling a lemon/lime variety. Just deciding whether to start separately then mix. or start then together from the start...
Michael

Buzzt wrong: that would be Arancello, Triple sec uses caramelled orange and orange blossom , some times It will also have mandarin or tandarine or tangello added too for complexity
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 pm

croweater wrote:
Boomgate wrote:
Bnr032 wrote:just thought i would post that i used these methods but instead swapped in orange peels instead of lemons ( personally not a massive fan of lemon).Still works an absolute treat. will have to definitely make more.I will also be trialling a lemon/lime variety. Just deciding whether to start separately then mix. or start then together from the start...
Michael

Buzzt wrong: that would be Arancello, Triple sec uses caramelled orange and orange blossom , some times It will also have mandarin or tandarine or tangello added too for complexity

Is tangello that fruit that tastes like absolute :puke-huge: ?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Is tangello that fruit that tastes like absolute :puke-huge: ?

Ah you might be thinking of citronella sometimes called wild lime, Its grown as a rootstock plant, that is its vigorous so is used as rootstock to graft other edible citrus to the fruit is the worst shit going imagine a green lemon boiled in vinegar then syringed with battery acid , good fun watching some silly mug doing the chicken dance trying to eat one though :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 pm

croweater wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:Is tangello that fruit that tastes like absolute :puke-huge: ?

Ah you might be thinking of citronella sometimes called wild lime, Its grown as a rootstock plant, that is its vigorous so is used as rootstock to graft other edible citrus to the fruit is the worst shit going imagine a green lemon boiled in vinegar then syringed with battery acid , good fun watching some silly mug doing the chicken dance trying to eat one though :laughing-rolling:

Yeah not sure but a mate is renting a house with this shit tree growing in the corner and they look like small oranges but they are fucking terrible, heard them may be this tangello, do they make jam out of it?

You couldnt eat it as a normal fruit
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Yeah not sure but a mate is renting a house with this shit tree growing in the corner and they look like small oranges but they are fucking terrible, heard them may be this tangello, do they make jam out of it?

You couldnt eat it as a normal fruit

They sound like Cumquats :puke-huge:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm

yes surely does, how small are they cumquat's are ping pong ball size or smaller and used for jams and chutneys but I would imagine they would be perfect for flavouring a drink like this
crow

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Nah these are bigger than that, but they might be it, they taste like a lemon crossed with shit :puke-huge:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

well i do know what a lemon tastes like :teasing-nutkick:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm

McStill wrote:well i do know what a lemon tastes like :teasing-nutkick:

You havent lived :o
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

lemon crossed with shit yep :handgestures-thumbupleft: all warty and fucked up looking , citron ya can use the peel for things maybe this stuff and keeping insects away prolly what's in mothballs there is a plant called a bitter orange but I know little about it the only other really tangy citrus I know of is the ozzie native one (the finger lime) but as that looks like a cross between lemon and a snag I feel ya would have mentioned that ;-)
crow

Limoncello

Postby Sam. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:56 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
McStill wrote:well i do know what a lemon tastes like :teasing-nutkick:

You havent lived :o

I read that last night as you hadn't tasted lemon!

Maybe one too many scotches.....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Dipsomania » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Just tucked a couple jars under the bed. :-D
My first go at Limoncello
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dipsomania

equipment: Artisan Copper Condenser

Postby cuz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm

1 litre of limoncello bottled and 1 litre of the famous STRAWBERRY PANTY DROPPER on the way!!!

cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development