Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby BigRig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:00 pm

Following the recipe i forgot the part about dumping the 100ml fores on the stripping run. With 5 x stripping runs, am i to assume there will be 500mls of fores to collect and dump on the spirit run?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:49 pm

Probably wont be that much, I would throw at least the first 200ml, you will still have a heap of heads to cut anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby BigRig » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Need some advice from the rum guys please.

I did my first spirit run this arvo (30L) and collected 32 jars of approx 250ml which are now airing. I actually ran out of the smaller jars so collected another 3 or 4 litres in larger jars.

Jars 31 & 32 plus the 3 bigger jars had a smell like butterscotch / caramel so assuming it was tails but it wasnt the unpleasant wet dog smell i am accustomed to with TPW. If i kept running it will it eventually get to wet dog smell ?

I ran out of time and jars so shut the still down, the spirit was still coming off @ 68%abv.

I have almost 10L of stripped wash left over so i was gonna add this to the boiler with the caramel jars and finishing running the still tomorrow. Otherwise i will keep it for next run and just finish running whats left in the boiler (i didnt empty it).

Am i on the right track ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby bluc » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Yes on the right track and yes will eventually turn to funk.
I quite often get a choc type flavour at start of tails..
Usually switch off well before wet dog..
Last edited by bluc on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby BigRig » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Thanks bluc. I ran the rest with the additions and ended up with another 15 jars.
BigRig

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:18 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Beato » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:05 am

I need some advice regarding ph values for macrum recipe.

I use 60l fermenters so do a 50l wash doubling everything in the original recipe.

I am using sprengers stock feed molasses and lowans yeast, and run an aquarium heater at about 30deg c.

I use about 10l of backset in each following generation cooled to 30 deg.

Now my problem is I have done a batch of 5 gens then a spirit run, and now up to gen 3 in my second batch, and every time I have to add new yeast. Even after leaving a couple of them 24 hrs, no action.

I did a 5 gen batch of ujsm and never had to add more yeast.

So I have just bought a digital ph meter and tested the 3rd gen rum wash that is 2 weeks old and ready to run. It reads 3.7.

So should I be adding a little baking soda or something to raise the ph?? Or what else may I be doing wrong?

Thanks for any advise , Beato
Beato

equipment: FSD 4” Copper Bubbler with SS packed section on a keg boiler with 4800 wasps

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:45 am

Are you tipping hot dunder sugar mix on yeastbed? Cause that will kill it.
Could be ph. Some use calcium others use bicarb. Personally think bicarb leaves a flavour..
No set rule you just have to add it in little bits and test between additions..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby BigRig » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Read about a method where you can get a thick rich buttery rum by slowly warming up the wash to 135f / 58c then holding it there for 2 hours before switching off and letting it cool to room temp. Next day run the still as normal. Supposed to be awesome for oaked and white dog.

How do i do this on an electric boiler ? Power controller maybe ? Would think even with the power controller it would still get to boiling temp and be too hot ?
Anyone tried this and had good results ?
BigRig

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 pm

You would need a thermostatically controlled heater
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby howard » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 am

BigRig wrote:Read about a method where you can get a thick rich buttery rum by slowly warming up the wash to 135f / 58c then holding it there for 2 hours before switching off and letting it cool to room temp. Next day run the still as normal. Supposed to be awesome for oaked and white dog.

How do i do this on an electric boiler ? Power controller maybe ? Would think even with the power controller it would still get to boiling temp and be too hot ?

not tried that, but my brewzilla could do that automatically i suppose.
why i'm interested is, my next rum spirit run, i was going to hold the wash in 'reflux' for an hour, before continuing in pot still mode.
apparently this releases more esters?
so are we talking about the same effect?

(when i say reflux, i mean just have the usual 3 rolls of copper mesh in the 2" SS column, but have the RC running without the full 1.1m of packing that i use for neutrals. then turn the RC off)
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby BigRig » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:16 am

The Stig wrote:You would need a thermostatically controlled heater

Just reminded me i have the digiboil boiler, will do the job.

howard wrote:
BigRig wrote:Read about a method where you can get a thick rich buttery rum by slowly warming up the wash to 135f / 58c then holding it there for 2 hours before switching off and letting it cool to room temp. Next day run the still as normal. Supposed to be awesome for oaked and white dog.

not tried that, but my brewzilla could do that automatically i suppose.
why i'm interested is, my next rum spirit run, i was going to hold the wash in 'reflux' for an hour, before continuing in pot still mode.
apparently this releases more esters?
so are we talking about the same effect?

(when i say reflux, i mean just have the usual 3 rolls of copper mesh in the 2" SS column, but have the RC running without the full 1.1m of packing that i use for neutrals. then turn the RC off)

This was mentioned and whilst the results were similar they werent the same apparently, interestingly there was a bit of discussion as to the cause but nothing could be pinpointed other than "magic happens".

I have 100L of 4th gen ready to be run this weekend. I will give some this treatment so i can compare side by side.
BigRig

Postby scythe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:17 am

BigRig, re: buttery flavour and feel.
that's the nature of chemistry sometimes.
You need to get the conditions right and it will work correctly, change conditions and you get a different result.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:40 pm

:text-+1:
Diecytl butter rum is done for a spefic ester.
Full reflux cool re heat promotes "esters" flavours and balance of rlavours will depend on balance of acids. Different acids when boiled in prescence of alcohol create different esters. More of a lucky dip..

Tip: if you do a whiskey/rum and the mash/wash smells of puke reflux 20-40mins depending on severity of infection and it will change to a pineapple flavour which mellows with age. Much better then puke burbon/rum or tossing it out.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby howard » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:47 am

bluc wrote::text-+1:
Diecytl butter rum is done for a spefic ester.
Full reflux cool re heat promotes "esters" flavours and balance of rlavours will depend on balance of acids. Different acids when boiled in prescence of alcohol create different esters. More of a lucky dip..

Tip: if you do a whiskey/rum and the mash/wash smells of puke reflux 20-40mins depending on severity of infection and it will change to a pineapple flavour which mellows with age. Much better then puke burbon/rum or tossing it out.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

back after reading up a bit :?
looks like the buttery method is used on a wash that has just finished fermentation?
maybe i will try that that next time.
is the 'hold in reflux' method for a rum wash before stripping, or for a spirit run on rum low wines?
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:17 am

Spirit run. Low wines or wash..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:10 pm

...so I'm first time at trying a Rum and have accidentally forgotten to buy more molasses.

I've just stripped 2nd gen and was about to use backset to dissolve the raw sugar and molasses when I realised my stuff up, thinking I had some on the shelf.

My question is if I've dropped a few litres of filtered water into the fermenter to keep the yeast happy, will this last, and would the backset still be OK to be allowed to cool and kept airtight for about 48hrs until I can get some more molasses?

Cheers,

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby howard » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Chocko6969 wrote:...so I'm first time at trying a Rum and have accidentally forgotten to buy more molasses.

I've just stripped 2nd gen and was about to use backset to dissolve the raw sugar and molasses when I realised my stuff up, thinking I had some on the shelf.

My question is if I've dropped a few litres of filtered water into the fermenter to keep the yeast happy, will this last, and would the backset still be OK to be allowed to cool and kept airtight for about 48hrs until I can get some more molasses?

Cheers,

Chocko

the dunder will be fine, i keep mine for weeks in airtight cubes.
by saying you were keeping the yeast happy, i assume you were going to re-pitch the old yeast.
i'm guessing a yeast infection would be your biggest threat.
i would at least be putting the yeast trub in a clean airtight container with little or no air. (maybe keep it coldish/cool?)
worst case is that you will have to pitch new yeast and/or add the old trub to the hot water you will dissolve the sugar/molasses.
maybe someone will have a better idea regarding the yeast.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 pm

howard wrote:
Chocko6969 wrote:...so I'm first time at trying a Rum and have accidentally forgotten to buy more molasses.

Cheers,

Chocko

the dunder will be fine, i keep mine for weeks in airtight cubes.
by saying you were keeping the yeast happy, i assume you were going to re-pitch the old yeast.
i'm guessing a yeast infection would be your biggest threat.
i would at least be putting the yeast trub in a clean airtight container with little or no air. (maybe keep it coldish/cool?)
worst case is that you will have to pitch new yeast and/or add the old trub to the hot water you will dissolve the sugar/molasses.
maybe someone will have a better idea regarding the yeast.

I managed to get my hands on 2kg molasses so did the next gen with that, but I appreciate the answer, good to know.

Chocko.
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby FatManDancing » Sat May 29, 2021 9:42 am

I started drinking this last night... and it is delicious. I did two gens and fermented warm and it has been on oak for two months @ 55%. been drinking it at that strength too

I am tasting a lot of chocolate, some coffee and a very pleasant hazelnut flavour and it is quite sweet

I I have another ferment that I racked to secondary yesterday to help clear but I fermented cool, at about 18 degrees to try to develop more of a fruity profile with the plan to ferment second gen warm to try to get those other flavours described above

I fear this may be a mistake though. Do any others have experience with blending like this?
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development