Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:32 am

Half the fun of the hobby is drinking mistakes and finding they are great :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby indenial » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:22 am

The Stig wrote:Half the fun of the hobby is drinking mistakes and finding they are great :laughing-rolling:

regarding that...

somewhere a few pages back in this thread I had a rum wash with probably a brett infection. I almost tipped it out. Ended up stripping it and then spirit running it (thanks to bluc and clickeraal for the advice) along with first 2 generations. It's the best rum I've made so far.

Many factors changed in subsequent batches (yeast type, fermentation temp, molasses source/ratio etc), but I suspect that "disastrous infection" was ultimately the cause of my unwitting success. Dunder/muck additions to the boiler for spirit run haven't produced the same quality of fruity esters.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Postby Puk » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm

So i was worried that my third generation had not "taken off", ie that yeast hadn't started again, as there is no "froth" on the surface, and it just looks the colour of coca-cola. But on putting my ear to it and having a listen, it is fizzing away, and when i look closely, i can see that there are larger bubbles coming up and breaking as they hit the surface, compared to the first and second generation.

Is there any reason for this?
Also, i tasted the low wines from my second generation, and already they taste WAY more flavourful (and a lot more like rum) than the all-first-generation spirit run that i did when i had an air still, and that has been on oak for 6 weeks already.

Can't wait to see how much character it has when i get to the 5th gen. :dance:
Puk
Puk
Site Donor

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby BigRig » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:38 pm

The ferments will become less violent and take longer as you progress through the generations. If its fizzing then you are fine leaving it.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby WoodyD40 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:16 am

Howdy all

Started my first attempt at this recipe, and put down my first fermentation last friday. I used about 10 litre of Dundee from my still which was a wbab wash. I have made up about 40 litre total wash in a 60 litre fermenter.
I didn’t take an initial SG reading, but this morning it’s sitting virtually at 1000 even.
It stopped bubbling 2 days ago.
Just wondering if it’s ready for me to do first stripping run on Saturday, or should i hurry up and be patient and wait another week.
Any thoughts?
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still for Gin
65l Alcoengine Boiler with FSD 4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters

Kegland 2" Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil) - retired

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:48 am

If you run over plates you only do the single run , you don’t need to strip them spirit .
But if you plan to remove the plates and packed section and make it a basic pot then yes you will need to strip
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby WoodyD40 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:25 am

Stig
More worried if I’m rushing doing generations weekly (by keeping heating belt on the ferment) or be patient and do generations every fortnight?
I think the fermentation has finished after only 5 days.

This is very different to the WBABs that I’ve been doing for past 3 months
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still for Gin
65l Alcoengine Boiler with FSD 4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters

Kegland 2" Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil) - retired

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:22 am

Molly finish’s very quickly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But , requires time to age
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby marls » Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:44 pm

WoodyD40 wrote:Howdy all

Started my first attempt at this recipe, and put down my first fermentation last friday. I used about 10 litre of Dundee from my still which was a wbab wash. I have made up about 40 litre total wash in a 60 litre fermenter.
I didn’t take an initial SG reading, but this morning it’s sitting virtually at 1000 even.
It stopped bubbling 2 days ago.
Just wondering if it’s ready for me to do first stripping run on Saturday, or should i hurry up and be patient and wait another week.
Any thoughts?

Would just remove the packed section, 4 plates for cleaner 3 plates for less cleaner that type of thing, then hurry up and wait to oak it. Also from what I've seen most will let it sit for a couple of days, let the yeast drop out (it does have a term just forgot it) then go for the next.

I've got some aging away, haven't tasted it in a month or so, so that will be a tonight thing to do. Will be bit over 6 months on oak, It'll either be pulled off oak now or I'll wait till spring.
marls

equipment: turbo boiler with still spirits pot still condenser

Postby Shano592 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:43 pm

So many years in, and I'm still loving how well this rum comes out.

My only tip is to not add bananas. They only get drunk, and don't really share their flavour.

On that, I made a tutti frutti with a batch of this rum last year. Getting ready to bust it open soon...
Shano592

equipment: .
2" Boka - The Gin Genie - Gone to a happy home
2" Pot - The Drunk Pelican - For Sale
3" Bubbler - The Gin Genie MkII - For Sale

Previous

Return to Recipe Development