Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby googe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Did a strip run of this today, fuck it smells and tastes yum even in a strip run. Think im going to have to taste it with coke later :shifty: i dont give a shit if i get poisioned :))
googe

Postby Divey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:39 pm

When I did my strip run of the first Generation I ran it right out to 20% abv and it had a very strong vanilla aroma. The second generation I pulled the pin at about 30% abv just as the runoff was showing very slight milkiness. This generation did not show the full vanilla aromas as the first generation. I ran a strip run of my 3rd generation last Thursday and I ran it right out to 20% abv once again and the vanilla is back.

For what it's worth, I reckon the vanilla aromas are coming right at the end of the run. I could very well be wrong though, dunno!!
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Rum

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 pm

That's very interesting divey.

Did u notice this vanilla only in the tails of the spirit run or throughout the run?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby googe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Im the opposite to you Divey, that was my first gen and ran it to 20% and a little milkiness, no vanilla smell. Be interesting to know why some runs smell that way and others dont, i would be thinking it would be to do with how the yeast has attacked the mollasses, no smell= yeast has done its job, vanilla smell= yeast hasnt done its work?.
googe

Postby Divey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Urrazeb wrote:That's very interesting divey.

Did u notice this vanilla only in the tails of the spirit run or throughout the run?

You can't smell the vanilla immediately or whilst the still is in operation, none at all. It has to be aired for a short period of time (overnight in my case) and it's then full on.
Divey

Postby Kimbo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 pm

It all comes down to so many variables:
Type/ source/amount of Molasses
type/ amount of yeast,
nutrients,
temperature during ferment,
and most importantly, your nose, everyone smells, sees, tastes things differently ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emptyglass » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:44 pm

googe wrote:Did a strip run of this today, fuck it smells and tastes yum even in a strip run. Think im going to have to taste it with coke later :shifty: i dont give a shit if i get poisioned :))

Yeah, gotta watch that coke. Baaad stuff.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 pm

I put a rum wash that was just about done into about 5L of dunder, thought the extra heat might finish it off and add...um i dont really know :)) . Trial and error.
googe

Rum

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

You can't smell the vanilla immediately or whilst the still is in operation, none at all. It has to be aired for a short period of time (overnight in my case) and it's then full on.

So after airing did u notice vanilla in the whole of the run or just the extra tails u ran into?
Last edited by MacStill on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Someone's having trouble double posting LOL
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Divey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:20 am

Urrazeb wrote:

So after airing did u notice vanilla in the whole of the run or just the extra tails u ran into?

The whole 4 litres @ 65% abv. Extremely strong vanilla. :shock:
Divey

Postby googe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 pm

googe wrote:I put a rum wash that was just about done into about 5L of dunder, thought the extra heat might finish it off and add...um i dont really know :)) . Trial and error.
Just had a peek inside the keg, its bubbling away nicely :D , was pretty dead before i put it in.
googe

Postby googe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 am

Hey all, im going to do a spirit run with some low wines of this on the weekend, whats the best % to water it down to for the spirit run?. Using a pot still. Thanks. Oh also, im sure i seen a calculator to work out how my spirit from low wines but cant find it?. What would i expect to get out of 30-40L of low wines in a pot still?. Mine seems to do it at around 70%.

Cheers
googe

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

googe wrote:Hey all, im going to do a spirit run with some low wines of this on the weekend, whats the best % to water it down to for the spirit run?. Using a pot still. Thanks. Oh also, im sure i seen a calculator to work out how my spirit from low wines but cant find it?. What would i expect to get out of 30-40L of low wines in a pot still?. Mine seems to do it at around 70%.

Cheers

Hi Googe,
You will need to water your low wines down to 40%. If you have 35L @ 70%, this will dilute to about 60L @ 40%.
your yield will vary depending on what cuts you've made along the way. Assuming you've made no cuts, I would expect you might get about 2-3L of heads@ 75%,+/- 20L of hearts @ 70% down to whatever you choose ,3-4L of tails.
this is just an estimate, you results willvary. Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Kimbo, thanks for that mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Thought i had to water it down more, thanks for clarifiying :). Ive made no cuts, just striping runs. Will let ya know how i go.

Cheers
googe

Postby googe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:00 am

Just striped the one with 250g glocuse and 250g white sugar added, smelt and tasted alot different!, its got a real nice smooth sweet smell to it. Had a little taste but as you know this was a strip so not the best way to taste but it tasted quite yummy and smooth :dance: , i love my new hobbie :D
googe

Postby googe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:56 pm

I think its about time this thread was changed to Mcrum :think:
googe

Rum

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Hmmm maybe read the first few words of this thread?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:04 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Hmmm maybe read the first few words of this thread?

?
googe

Rum

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 pm

This thread was started by Mac and its about rum....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Oh, not trying to be rude, just thought it might be nice cause lots of other people doing recipes name thers, EG; hook. I'll shut up now, i should not come on here when im pissed...
googe

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development