Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Rum

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Who ?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Rum

Postby Kimbo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 pm

googe wrote:I think its about time this thread was changed to Mcrum :think:

I like your style of thinking there googe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Hill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:11 am

So I just run a batch of this rum through my super reflux which I moded the cooling lines and took out the packing. The spirit smells great but will need another run. If I want to run it again should I just add it to the boiler at 40% and run with a small amount of reflux.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:23 am

Hill wrote:So I just run a batch of this rum through my super reflux which I moded the cooling lines and took out the packing. The spirit smells great but will need another run. If I want to run it again should I just add it to the boiler at 40% and runYou bet :handgestures-thumbupleft: with a small amount of reflux reflux is not necessary, it's purely optional.The more reflux you have, the lighter the flavour will be ;-) .
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Hill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks kimbo, this stuff smells amazing I'm just keen as to get it going again and clean it up, I wish I had a power controller I could turn down the boiler but this was just an experiment to see how the still ran detuned and to learn cuts.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby 3draws » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi all made a batch of just molasses (stockfood) last week of 9lts and made up to 27lts and re-hydrated the yeast (CHO65) all went well, but now it has stalled i think as it measures 1070 didn't measure the start, gave it a stir yesterday and try to re activated still fizzy. Checked today little bit fizzy and measures 1062. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers 3draws
3draws

equipment: Ultra pure reflux and pot still with extenion & 30lt boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:59 pm

As long as its dry Id run it mate, gravity readings with molasses can be a fair bit out due to unfermentables in the wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Divey » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

3draws wrote:Hi all made a batch of just molasses (stockfood) last week of 9lts and made up to 27lts and re-hydrated the yeast (CHO65) all went well, but now it has stalled i think as it measures 1070 didn't measure the start, gave it a stir yesterday and try to re activated still fizzy. Checked today little bit fizzy and measures 1062. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers 3draws

I could be wrong, but, I reckon the yeast have thrown the towel in. They're not dead, they're just waiting for some assistance....feed them with some nutrient.
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby kobold » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:50 pm

a quick update: i left my 3rd gen ferment in an unheated room for more than six weeks. upon my return it looked and smelled ok - still bubbling now and then actually - so i distilled it asap... (btw, i used coconut oil as surfactant and find it more effective than butter).

the 4th gen took three days to take off - i guess it was too cold at 22-24C. after pitching some more activated yeast and fitting a heater belt now it's bubbling every 10secs at 25-26C.

also wondering about the pH, must be acidic from all the dunder (but have no idea), was thinking to add some sodium bicarbonate, again, have no idea how much to a 28l ferment. i only have enough molasses left for one final generation, maybe i will get away with it anyway.

the rum itself is very peppery in taste with an almost wasabi-like nose :o but that's after only three-four days, given enough time and oak it will develop an amazing character i am sure.
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby 3draws » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 pm

McStill wrote:As long as its dry Id run it mate, gravity readings with molasses can be a fair bit out due to unfermentables in the wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No probs, I had a taste(bloody terrible) no sweetness at all tasted bit like salty so i'm guessing it's all over ? Or do I need to feed them with some nutrient DAP?

Cheers 3draws
3draws

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:33 pm

3draws wrote:
McStill wrote:As long as its dry Id run it mate, gravity readings with molasses can be a fair bit out due to unfermentables in the wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No probs, I had a taste(bloody terrible) no sweetness at all tasted bit like salty so i'm guessing it's all over ? Or do I need to feed them with some nutrient DAP?

Cheers 3draws

If its not sweet, then its ready to run mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
( all the sugar has been converted)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby 3draws » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks kimbo will do :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers 3draws
3draws

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 pm

kobold wrote:a quick update: i left my 3rd gen ferment in an unheated room for more than six weeks. upon my return it looked and smelled ok - still bubbling now and then actually - so i distilled it asap... (btw, i used coconut oil as surfactant and find it more effective than butter).

the 4th gen took three days to take off - i guess it was too cold at 22-24C. after pitching some more activated yeast and fitting a heater belt now it's bubbling every 10secs at 25-26C.I ferment mine at 30deg +

also wondering about the pH, must be acidic from all the dunder (but have no idea), was thinking to add some sodium bicarbonate, again, have no idea how much to a 28l ferment. i only have enough molasses left for one final generation, maybe i will get away with it anyway.I would add a teaspoon of Epsom salts diluted in water.As for the Ph, I have never tested mine, but I only use a max of 5L dunder to a 25L wash

the rum itself is very peppery in taste with an almost wasabi-like nose Are you making cuts? :o but that's after only three-four days, given enough time and oak it will develop an amazing character i am sure.All in all, your washes seem to be taking a long time to fire up and finish, Maybe try making a yeast bomb ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby kobold » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 am

Kimbo wrote:
kobold wrote:a quick update: i left my 3rd gen ferment in an unheated room for more than six weeks. upon my return it looked and smelled ok - still bubbling now and then actually - so i distilled it asap... (btw, i used coconut oil as surfactant and find it more effective than butter).

the 4th gen took three days to take off - i guess it was too cold at 22-24C. after pitching some more activated yeast and fitting a heater belt now it's bubbling every 10secs at 25-26C.I ferment mine at 30deg +

also wondering about the pH, must be acidic from all the dunder (but have no idea), was thinking to add some sodium bicarbonate, again, have no idea how much to a 28l ferment. i only have enough molasses left for one final generation, maybe i will get away with it anyway.I would add a teaspoon of Epsom salts diluted in water.As for the Ph, I have never tested mine, but I only use a max of 5L dunder to a 25L wash

the rum itself is very peppery in taste with an almost wasabi-like nose Are you making cuts? :o but that's after only three-four days, given enough time and oak it will develop an amazing character i am sure.All in all, your washes seem to be taking a long time to fire up and finish, Maybe try making a yeast bomb ;-)

thank you, i completely forgot about any yeast ferts even tho i have epsom salt and yeast bombs ready in the freezer. the heater belt brought it up to 30C in an afternoon, now its bubbling @7secs. the remaining generations will do with conservative cuts and age separately for taste/smell comparison :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby Hill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 am

Ran my batch of rum through for a spirit run yesterday and it tastes amazing, I am sold :handgestures-thumbupleft: , had a glass with coke mixed down to 40% and without ageing or wood chips it still tasted great, I took good cuts and I can see how you would want to blend a small amount of the tails in for flavour, I'm thinking I will do 3 batches with different blends 1 with just good spirit and 2 mixed with different levels of tails.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby bddoinit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 pm

How long can I leave a second generation wash down for?. I put it down about 4 weeks ago and I don't know when I can strip it, the airlock has some water in it so it is sealed.
bddoinit

equipment: 2" Pot Sill, 2" Boka
Gas/Elec 50Lt Keg
4" Bubbler to get

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 pm

bddoinit wrote:How long can I leave a second generation wash down for?. I put it down about 4 weeks ago and I don't know when I can strip it, the airlock has some water in it so it is sealed.

As long as you keep it sealed and cool it'll last for months ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bddoinit » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for the good news mac, I have just got home from having my left lung removed two weeks ago, and I cannot lift a thing. To fkn sore and will be for a few weeks.
bddoinit

equipment: 2" Pot Sill, 2" Boka
Gas/Elec 50Lt Keg
4" Bubbler to get

Rum

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 pm

bddoinit wrote:Thanks for the good news mac, I have just got home from having my left lung removed two weeks ago, and I cannot lift a thing. To fkn sore and will be for a few weeks.

Fark, hope your all right mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:15 pm

bddoinit wrote:Thanks for the good news mac, I have just got home from having my left lung removed two weeks ago, and I cannot lift a thing. To fkn sore and will be for a few weeks.

Thats no small operation. Good to see your on the mend mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development