Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:My advice is to never put tails in anything except the feints jar.

:text-+1: i have found best is no heads or tails. Thats being said a rum feints run "hearts" is a nice drop also.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 pm

guys im running my spirit run on macrum wash from stripped runs and am getting a bitey soap flavoured spirit straight up. what would you guys suggest. pulling off at 3-4 dripe per second through a detuned boka
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Rush006 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 pm

when you say straight. is that while heads are coming through or are you in the hearts? heads never taste good.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:03 pm

that was 400ml in. im now about 3litres of collection in at 75% and its got a slight soapy taste but very smooth. have been cutting in 400ml jars. was just worried because ive heard soap is in tails but can now dstinguish smooth cuts so far between the tangy crap and im pretty sure hearts. ( sorry firdt spirit run ever)
Nathan02

Postby orcy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Leave it to air overnight. Then start making your cuts. It shouldnt be soapy early on.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm

ok thanks. sounds like ivd stuffed up somewhere
Nathan02

Postby crow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm

orcy wrote:I took a ton of 250ml fractions all the way down to 20 percent this time round. Couldnt find anything i liked down there. The last 5 jars were cloudy as all get up, im assuming these are the fabled rum oils. They smell a bit like fress cut hay or grass. Taste like soap.

That's because 20% is well and truly still in tails. Backins or sweetwater doesn't even start till you are down to around 5% , if I'm collecting backins to temper say a mixed bill whiskey I would probably take a sample between 2 and 3 %.
Basically you need to ram it through hard until you get to something almost drinkable
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby orcy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:25 am

Wow. I dont think ive read anywhere that people are stilling down to water. Guess ill have to have a play next time.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore

Postby Rush006 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 am

Nathan02 wrote:that was 400ml in. im now about 3litres of collection in at 75% and its got a slight soapy taste but very smooth. have been cutting in 400ml jars. was just worried because ive heard soap is in tails but can now dstinguish smooth cuts so far between the tangy crap and im pretty sure hearts. ( sorry firdt spirit run ever)

read all the info on cuts on this website but just as a guide i only take about 1 to 1.5 litres of a 25 to 30 litre mash. so if a 10% wash 3 litres of alcohol 1 l of heads 1 l of hearts and 1 l of tails. ( it actually produces more as when you get into tails the ABV drops). this is very rough and you need to work it out for yourself with experience. trial and error I know others take a lot more but my goal is no hangover. after reading everything the only way is your own smell and taste. I always discard the first 200 ml just to be totally safe. the rest of your take won't kill you but if cuts are not good you could get a bad hangover. good luck I remember when i first started I was really worried about my cuts and it does take a little while for your tastebuds to tune in to undesirable flavours. just make the one type of wash so you get familiar with the flavours and once you get in tune it is easier to tune to other mashes. hope this helps.
Rush006

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion -removing sulfur from molasses

Postby Tuner » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone tried to remove sulfur from molasses using hydrogen peroxide?
Cheers
Tuner

http://www.h2o2.com/industrial/refinery ... -Treatment

Reduced Sulfur Compounds Treatment with Hydrogen Peroxide

Sulfur compounds, such as hydrogen sulfide, thiosulfates and mercaptans, can present serious wastewater problems for refiners. Hydrogen peroxide treatment is a cost effective way to reduce sulfur species.
https://www.wired.com/2015/06/wine-sulf ... ve-anyway/
Tuner

equipment: 120 l 4 by 4 reflux called Ellie

Postby Rush006 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Nathan02 wrote:that was 400ml in. im now about 3litres of collection in at 75% and its got a slight soapy taste but very smooth. have been cutting in 400ml jars. was just worried because ive heard soap is in tails but can now dstinguish smooth cuts so far between the tangy crap and im pretty sure hearts. ( sorry firdt spirit run ever)

400ml in is still well and truely still in the heads.
Rush006

Postby crow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 pm

Unlikely ya got so much sulphur there to be an issue, if so a safer way would be put it in a pot with a bit of water and a hand full of bricky's lime. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Nathan02 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:22 am

hey guys, just a question that i think i may know the answer to apart from the PH. on monday i put down gen 3 of my rum. i used 5 litres of Dunder from the boiler for each wash. i put down 2x25l and 1x60l wash. the 60l wash had the lees in the bottom whuch had 5l cool water on them for 4 days because i took my time getting my mollases and sugar together. i have used a new supplier of molasses for this gen. the dunder sat in a container for 4 days before using. i pitched fresh lowans in all fermenters at 36 degrees they took off hard. a day later( tuesday arvo) it was 32 and slowed down a lot. over wed thurs they dropped to 26 degrees. i havent done any ph checking. ive checked the washes this morning. one 25l wash is bubbling every 30 seconds. the 50l and other 25l havd stopped bubbling. when i took the lid off there was a tiny bit of fizzing but no carbon dioxide hitting me in the face. do you guys think A) its done or B) its shit mollases or C) a ph issue? or do you think its done? it does taste bitter and dry but not sure if thats the dunder coming through. cheers
Nathan02

Postby woodduck » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:33 am

Not 100% sure mate, without sg readings makes it hard but I will say if rum is hot it will ferment in 3-4 days. If it's dry I'd say it's done but would give it another day or two :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby orcy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Whats the gravity like?
orcy

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Nathan02 wrote:hey guys, just a question that i think i may know the answer to apart from the PH. on monday i put down gen 3 of my rum. i used 5 litres of Dunder from the boiler for each wash. i put down 2x25l and 1x60l wash. the 60l wash had the lees in the bottom whuch had 5l cool water on them for 4 days because i took my time getting my mollases and sugar together. i have used a new supplier of molasses for this gen. the dunder sat in a container for 4 days before using. i pitched fresh lowans in all fermenters at 36 degrees they took off hard. a day later( tuesday arvo) it was 32 and slowed down a lot. over wed thurs they dropped to 26 degrees. i havent done any ph checking. ive checked the washes this morning. one 25l wash is bubbling every 30 seconds. the 50l and other 25l havd stopped bubbling. when i took the lid off there was a tiny bit of fizzing but no carbon dioxide hitting me in the face. do you guys think A) its done or B) its shit mollases or C) a ph issue? or do you think its done? it does taste bitter and dry but not sure if thats the dunder coming through. cheers

Take a gravity reading now then another tomorrow then another sunday. If all the same reading its done. If you dont have a hydrometer taste it if real sweet not done if dry it is. Put a bit on your finger let it dry then rub it against another finger, if sticky its not done..if not sticky its done :handgestures-thumbupleft: (best way is check with hydrometer. I find mine is usually done at 1.020..)
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Nathan02 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm

put it down to shit mollases. ran my washes in 25l batches normally pull 4l low wines stripped to 20% these runs struggled for 2L. that doesnt make this rum drinker happy
Nathan02

Postby bluc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Nathan02 wrote:put it down to shit mollases. ran my washes in 25l batches normally pull 4l low wines stripped to 20% these runs struggled for 2L. that doesnt make this rum drinker happy

Seems about standard I aim for 2l per 25-30l wash..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby I8ian4t » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 am

I've been cooking off some rum in my old detuned "super reflux" While I'm waiting to finish my boiler build.. (Just entering back into the hobby after a 8? year break). Have about 20L of low-wines.
While Tipping the demijohns into a larger storage vessel. I saw/removed a single black fly in my hooch. He didn't appear to drink very much. but has left me a bit concerned.

Will this cause any trouble? It still needs to go back through the still for a spirit run?

Thanks guys :text-thankyoublue:
I8ian4t

equipment: Reflux

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 am

If your going to "cook" the fly then I wouldn't.

If your going to distill it you will be fine :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development