Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby Dominator » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:35 am

newbiboozer wrote:Where do ya all get the big fermenter s from and are all plastic drums ok to use

You want to use HDPE (High Density Polyethylene). Feed stores wil have plastic drums, otherwise you can try any bulk food suppliers or manufacturers. I know there is a soft drink company near me thst get their syrup in plastic 200L drums. Oh and they get their sugar in 1 Tonne bags. That would last me a while. :))
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby greenguy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:21 am

Well with all this rum chat i went on a mission today
New 60ltr fermenter some dap and some black gold
For the life of me i couldn't find any molasses today and i was going to put a rum down no matter what so 4kg of Treacle was all that was on the shelf damn it so grabbed that and headed to the next supper market no Treacle damn o well so i now have 6kgs brown sugar and 4kg of treacle and 2kg of golden syrup :laughing-rolling: all has no preservatives and they have a 76gram per 100gram of sugar so
here we go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 am

Dominator wrote:
newbiboozer wrote:. Oh and they get their sugar in 1 Tonne bags. That would last me a while. :))

Be a bitch carrying that into the shed out of the car...
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby greenguy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:56 am

So the rum is bubbling away nicely :happy-partydance:
Recipe was a bit shody 6kg's of treacle & Golden syrup 6kgs of white sugar two teaspoons of dap 150 grams of yeast but 30 grams as a starter toped it up to 40 litres in the fermenter wondering if i add another 10 litres now SG was 1080
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 am

greenguy wrote:SSG was 1080

Doubt that reading would be correct with treacle in the wash
Lowndsey

Postby Smbjk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:37 am

I've got 20lt of molasses and am going to put a rum down. After seeing mac's pic/problems :laughing-rolling: I'm a little worried. As I ferment inside or on my patio if that were to happen to me my wife would kill me and them distroy all my stills :laughing-rolling: I have a 70lt fermenter how much wash would you put in there I'm thinking 40-50.

I will be putting it down before I go on holidays and the mother inlaw is looking after the house. Could you imagine her look of surprise is anything happened :scared-eek:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I would make 60L in a 70L fermenter, don't stress about it puking. Mac does his different to the original McRum recipe and they are super vigorous, I have never had one of mine overflow and I do a 55L wash in a 60L fermenter using the normal recipe.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Smbjk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Great didnt want to :puke-huge: :puke-huge:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Dominator wrote:I would make 60L in a 70L fermenter, don't stress about it puking. Mac does his different to the original McRum recipe and they are super vigorous, I have never had one of mine overflow and I do a 55L wash in a 60L fermenter using the normal recipe.

Only thing I really do different to the original is add DAP, citric to invert sugar, vitamin B pills and a little dog spit :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby JayD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:52 pm

please forgive me for going off the subject at hand while I report our progress to all lovers of Rumbo...

update....one week into our secondary aging on our MacRumbo and the difference is like chalk and cheese, what we thought was good at 4 weeks is now like rum...we thought was not too foul at the time, a week ago after the 4week initial ageing is ok and a little hot...now a week later... it's nice smooth warmth with body with nice spicey notes and has taste the same as much more fully matured good rum. Will report more as it ages further... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Forsure J,
once your rum loses that ugly raw stinky mank smell it matures a lot quicker, I reckon Docs aerating process could even speed the rum aging up considerably.... although I have no reason to try it as I have rum going on 36 months old now :dance:

I find the hardest/fastest/warmest ferments produce the best esters for my rums, after a few months on oak I get these real chocolate notes and a fair amount of vanilla behind it, most guys here who try my rum reckon it's so smooth it's dangerous but that's how I like it.

Enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Smbjk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Dog spit :laughing-rolling: can i use kids spit I have 3 boys and they slobber heaps :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Smbjk wrote:Dog spit :laughing-rolling: can i use kids spit I have 3 boys and they slobber heaps :laughing-rolling:

No not quite the same, the enzymes in dog spit is the key ingredient.... they're very powerful compared to human enzymes. :whistle: :shifty: :liar:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Smbjk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Hmmm guess I need to start harvesting then :))
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:01 pm

MacStill wrote:Forsure J,
once your rum loses that ugly raw stinky mank smell it matures a lot quicker, I reckon Docs aerating process could even speed the rum aging up considerably.... although I have no reason to try it as I have rum going on 36 months old now :dance:

I find the hardest/fastest/warmest ferments produce the best esters for my rums, after a few months on oak I get these real chocolate notes and a fair amount of vanilla behind it, most guys here who try my rum reckon it's so smooth it's dangerous but that's how I like it.

Enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's my next thing to try as soon as I source a stainless airstone. I have been experimenting with the microwave method and it seems to skip that raw manky smell totally after doing that. Still not mature of course. Still not aged with those notes you are talking about but so far it seems to jump forward 3 or 4 weeks which in my experience is about the minimum time it takes to get rid of that manky shit smell. Be interesting in 6 months whether it is still further ahead than a normally aged 6 month rum or whether the normal rum catches up.
I know a lot of the traditionalists probably cringe at the thought of stress aging and not being patient etc but as far as i am concerned progressing and experimenting and moving forward with new ideas and methods is a lot of the fun.
Lowndsey

Postby Tsv Stiller » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Just stripping my first batch of this recipe now, i am at about 5 litres and its still reading about 30% but the stuff im collecting now is starting to be a bit cloudy almost milky colour to it?

Any ideas should i just stop now?

Cheers :think:
Tsv Stiller

equipment: 2" Pot still (JayD Special)
50 liter Keg boiler
2400w electric element with Voltage controller

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:16 pm

tails will do that once you get deep into them.

how'd the new controller go?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Tsv Stiller » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Cheers mac i will take a bit more then call it quits.

Controller works a treat mate but im just going flat out at the moment.

There is no way im waiting for multiple gens of this stuff before i drink it, i have 50 litres im gonna strip then spirit run it, the following gens can be aged longer ;-)

So the only other flavour that goes into this stuff is the oak correct?
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby Tsv Stiller » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Having an issue with getting my 2nd Gen to start fermenting, i wasn't able to add the new molasses and sugar until the morning after i finished my strip run. Problem is it hasnt started to bubble and i waited about 4 hrs and then added two tablespoons of yeast but still no action.

Should i add more yeast or is the wash fooked?
Tsv Stiller

50 liter Keg boiler

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:51 pm

I usually chuck a jug or 2 of cool water onto the lees after I drain all the wash out of the fermenter into the boiler. Will keep your yeast happy until you are ready to put your next batch on. Most times though I just dump the lees and use fresh yeast each batch. I find the flavour from the generations of backset is enough without worrying about the lees but that's just me.
Lowndsey

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development