Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 pm

EziTasting wrote:
vossy wrote:I reckon tails cloudy as the first one didn't puke.
I am going to let it cool, add it back, adjust PH if no activity by tomorrow, add some yeast and see how that goes, nothing really to loose.

You’ll need to add new yeast, the original was cooked - 96*C...

EDIT: ok, brain fart! Cool the boild liquid, add it back into the fermented with the dunder... I got you!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby vqstatesman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:29 pm

bluc wrote:I like your sig 50l milk can for small runs :scared-eek:

Helps keep the reserves from running low. :-D
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Just stripped 7 litres of alcohol from my first gen 50l wash. Got the second gen wash on now chugging away nicely. Mine tasted a lil soapy, yet super sweet off the still. Interesting indeed!
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby orcy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Tails can be quite soapy ive found. Especially in the 40 to 50 abv range.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Johno86 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:40 am

Just a molasses review, i have always used queensland molasses from the local stockffed joint (white bucket green writing) and i find it great. Very nice distilled a very golden syrupy backbone raw and beautiful rummy flavours after a few months on oak. Only ever had one stalled ferment from it but could have been ph or too much dunder so thumbs up from me
Johno86

equipment: 4' japcrap glass bubbler
2' bokabob
2' homemade pot

Postby Nathan02 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 am

Ok thanks orcy. Given that this is my irst stripping run, im asduning that ive ran my boka to hard and smeared the fractions given that i got this consistent flavour? Will this effect my fflavour on final spirit run? Cheers
Nathan02

Postby orcy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:51 am

Nah, stripping is just that. Get the alcohol out as quick as possible and raise the abv to somethuming more useful. I normally get between 8 and 10 L at around 35 to 40 percent from a 50L strip. I dont worry about what this tastes like. Spirit run combines 4 of these stripping runs and goes as slow as i can be bothered.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore

Postby vossy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:18 pm

EziTasting wrote:
EziTasting wrote:
vossy wrote:I reckon tails cloudy as the first one didn't puke.
I am going to let it cool, add it back, adjust PH if no activity by tomorrow, add some yeast and see how that goes, nothing really to loose.

You’ll need to add new yeast, the original was cooked - 96*C...

EDIT: ok, brain fart! Cool the boild liquid, add it back into the fermented with the dunder... I got you!

So I have bought the SG up to 4.9 on one at a cost of 500 odd grams of bicarb. Is the bicarb going to effect flavour.
Should I
A. leave it to see if it starts
B. just add another lot of yeast
C. Ditch and start again (not really as this is 3rd gen.
vossy

equipment: 2 x Essencia Super Reflux 25L
1 x 50L Keg Pot Still/Bubbler with Gin Caddy

Postby EziTasting » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm

At this stage, you got nothing to loose if you have a go. That’s my opinion - there’s some learned by here for you!

Some say it affects the flavour, I haven’t noticed it so much...
EziTasting

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

My gen 2 wash has been on for 4 days. I walked into the garage last night and its putting off an eggy type smell. I pulled the lid off and the wash looks as per normal. I was expecting a bit different smell from the 1st gen but just not sure if this is right?
Nathan02

Postby orcy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 am

Can anyone help me with cuts on rum type products? I ran the low wines from gen5 plus feints from gen 3 and i seem to have a massive hearts cut. I tossed the first 500ml, collected 8 jars of 250ml, then 7 1L jars, and a bunch more 250 ml jars down to an equivalent of 60 250ml jars total. I srarted at 82 percent and only dropped off to 75 percent at jar 60. I then tool about 6 litres of tails down to 20%. This 6Litres averages 60 percent.

The thing is, apart from maybe the first 4 or 5 jars, it all tastes fine. Which would give me maybe 16L at 80 percebt after blending. This sounds very high.

What should i be looking for in tails? Am i best blending middle hearts and late hearts separarely to see how they differ?
orcy

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 am

In heads i look for the first neutral-ish jar,( goes from rich flavour sickly sweet with solvent taste to almost no flavour) then go one jar further.

In tails any sign of wet cardboatd I leave out. If you look for the wet cardboard burnt-ish taste then work back towards the middle you will find the desirable cut point.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby orcy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah. I think i didnt go far enough to get to taill on this run. I just ran out of time and jars. Ill make sure i have more jars for the last lot of low wines.
orcy

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am

I go by smell with heads. Heads have a sweet smell to me. I use the middle jar as a reference. Sometimes I need to walk away for 5 minutes and give my nose a rest as they all smell the same after doing it for too long. With tails I think it's crucial to water down a sample, that brings the smell out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm

I water down all samples but dont trust my nose alone for heads. I find especially with rum the late heads smells nice but taste :puke-huge: i have tried going into tails but dislike the taste even after several months...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby vossy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Just a question
Anyone used this stuff
vossy

equipment: 2 x Essencia Super Reflux 25L
1 x 50L Keg Pot Still/Bubbler with Gin Caddy

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:06 pm

woodduck wrote:I go by smell with heads. Heads have a sweet smell to me. I use the middle jar as a reference. Sometimes I need to walk away for 5 minutes and give my nose a rest as they all smell the same after doing it for too long. With tails I think it's crucial to water down a sample, that brings the smell out :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Interesting side-note, smell your wrist next time or between jars... apparently the scent of our own skin helps to neutralise anything that has overstimulated the nose! Try it, it works...

bluc wrote:I water down all samples but dont trust my nose alone for heads.

Same here! Taste for me is prickly and the smells can be anything from 'nail-polish remover' to smelling very nice; but, like you, there are some things not meant to enter my mouth! :law-policered:

bluc wrote:... i have tried going into tails but dislike the taste even after several months...

A B S O L U T E L Y :text-+1:
EziTasting

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:43 pm

My advice is to never put tails in anything except the feints jar.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby crow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:My advice is to never put tails in anything except the feints jar.

Ah yeah "tails" but got past that to backins and a touch of that will work in tempering water for certain products and further to that the collection of rum oils in late backins are used by some to create a certain profile.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby orcy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm

I took a ton of 250ml fractions all the way down to 20 percent this time round. Couldnt find anything i liked down there. The last 5 jars were cloudy as all get up, im assuming these are the fabled rum oils. They smell a bit like fress cut hay or grass. Taste like soap.
orcy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development