Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby Twisted » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:16 pm

put down a 30 l rum wash today
4.5l mollasses
2kg brown sugar
2kg dextrose
80grams lowans yeast
starting sg 1.136

shoulda looked here for a tried and true recipe first, got that recipe from another site, could have left out the dextrose
Twisted

equipment: My penis is inverted and I am a childish little girl

Postby Divey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:45 pm

I put a 23 litre ferment down about three weeks after following McStill's recipe to the T, other than the fact this was 23 litre as opposed to 25 litre. :-|

Last Saturday I did a stripping run and gathered about 4 litres at 65%. I added some of the dunder back into the next generations brew as suggested and used the lees from the first ferment. All has fired up and is cranking away nicely for the second time. :-D

What has amazed me is the aroma from the first run off. It smells so powerful of vanilla. Is this normal. :?:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Yes its normal mate, I love the smell of a molasses wash heating up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MR-E » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Divey wrote:I put a 23 litre ferment down about three weeks after following McStill's recipe to the T, other than the fact this was 23 litre as opposed to 25 litre. :-|

Last Saturday I did a stripping run and gathered about 4 litres at 65%. I added some of the dunder back into the next generations brew as suggested and used the lees from the first ferment. All has fired up and is cranking away nicely for the second time. :-D

What has amazed me is the aroma from the first run off. It smells so powerful of vanilla. Is this normal. :?:

McStill wrote:Yes its normal mate, I love the smell of a molasses wash heating up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

+1, When you get to the third gen your gonna want to drink it from straight from the still :D
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Do you mean you don't??? :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MR-E » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:45 pm

:snooty: , for testing/tasting purposes only :liar:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I always end up 3 parts pissed due to tasting/testing concerns :think: I taste then I test,then I go find a well aged bottle and taste it too,just to see if the first lot tested has the attributes of the well aged stuff,normally I've got to go back and retest :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Fuck I hate the hobby :D
Cane Toad

Postby googe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 am

Im going to put 2 of these down on the weekend and am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with colder temps?. Say around 10 - 25c.
googe

Postby law-of-ohms » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 am

Ran out of molasses, so used 1 and 1/2 20L buckets of dunder with 12kg of sugar made up to ~75L

cheating?
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:51 am

Dunno Law,how did it smell? Keep us informed,could be very interesting
Cane Toad

Postby Divey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:21 am

This question may have been covered within the five pages, I don't know, I'm too lazy to read it all.

When you do the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th generations do you add extra yeast and also the Epsom Salts as in the very first brew. :?:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 am

Yeast- No
Epsom- depends on if it needs it( if the ferment is starting to slow)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Rum

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:18 am

[quote="googe"]Im going to put 2 of these down on the weekend and am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with colder temps?. Say around 10 - 25c.[/quote/]

Googe, it's quite cold in my house, I put three washes down a fortnight ago and the yeast had no problem with the cold weather.

It was in the range of 10 during the nights and max 25 outside so prob only got to 20ish inside. Still fermented out nicely.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby googe » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Cool, thanks Urrazeb :).
googe

Postby Modernity » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:14 pm

McStill wrote:But I've had some red wine barrel staves that were stained & had a white sugary coating on the stain, I loved the flavour it gave my UJ :handgestures-thumbupleft: I just thought it was sugars that stuck to the staves during the aging process :think:

I did a quick google on the white salt stuck to the inside of the barrel, it turned out to be Cream of Tartar: Other names: potassium acid tartrate, potassium bitartrate.

Cream of tartar is a by-product of the wine industry. A crystalline acid forms on the inside of wine barrels. The barrels are scraped and the sediment is purified and ground to form cream of tartar. Cream of tartar is used to stabilize egg whites when making meringue or as an addition to certain frostings to produce a creamy product.

Read more from GourmetSleuth.com: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary ... z24QqS47p0
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby googe » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Can anyone compair the taste of this rum to anything that might be brought commercial?, i know i know, its nothing like commercail brought stuff, but just humor me lol.
googe

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Smells similar to bundy :o

Tastes like awesome... :clap:

I think the stuff i had (as change from a transaction) was made with very good cuts, as I bounced outta bed the next day feeling great.

Top night, fulla piss and still wake up fine and tackle the day as per usual... priceless! :dance:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby nb0s » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Just started 2nd generation - it is really cranking along. Quick question - Do you need to add any yeast nutrients?
nb0s

equipment: Alex N25 Reflux / pot

Postby googe » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks Urrazeb, sounds like yummy shit :D, cant wait!.
googe

Postby law-of-ohms » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:54 am

taste it great and I used whatever feed stock molasses I can find.

Drinking straight from a stripping run, its a bit strong in flavor.

Double pot distill, is awesome!

I drink a bit of it un-aged un-oaked.

but...... 3 months in a tiny barrel, wow..

and yes, no headace!
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development