Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:29 pm

I just did a blind taste test with 3 people . This appleton estate
Resized_20171130_185326_1242.jpeg

And my rum no gens 3l mol to 3kg white sugar per 30l . Mine won three outta three. The taste is virtually identically but mine is slightly richer and has a thicker mouth feel. Gotta be happy with that..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Oh it spent 10m in a 10l barrel :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 pm

:clap:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Excellent effort!

Cloned a number of mixers for a cocktail party, had a similar feedback! At the end of the night all our home made grog was gone... :D thieving buggers!

It does put a smile on your face, tho!

Well done.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am

Hey guys i just stuck my head in on my washs this morning before i left for work that i put down monday arvo. Pitched yeast hot at 36 and has sat on 33 degrees and they took off hard and was going nuts till tues arvo, slowed down heaps by last night and this morning is down to 1 bloop every 2 mins. I didnt get a starting SG because i dont own a hydrometer, and will taste when i get home, but whats the general feel? Might be finished?
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby RC Al » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:15 pm

On the way home, grab a triple scale hydrometer, they are $14 at the HBS. The ones marked beer hydro don't go high enough for some of the mashes for our stuff. 1.000 or less is the usual target

Until then do the ear test, stick your ear against the fermenter and listen for bubbles -no noise, good to go
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Plumby » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:41 pm

I just ran my first strip run of this and I must say even the low wines from the strip run smelt and tasted really nice, can't wait for the spirit run and time on oak.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:57 am

RC Al wrote:On the way home, grab a triple scale hydrometer, they are $14 at the HBS. The ones marked beer hydro don't go high enough for some of the mashes for our stuff. 1.000 or less is the usual target

Until then do the ear test, stick your ear against the fermenter and listen for bubbles -no noise, good to go

Could dilute sample with water to use the hydro that does not go high enough .
wynnum1

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:23 am

Hey guys can question, i was half way through my spirit run.of low wines through the detuned boka when i had to cut my run..ive just fired up again..my question is..it smells like ive lost a bit of flavour would that assume right? Also..will I pick back up in hearts again? I've discarded 200ml on start up. Cheers
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Hey Natahn,
when ever I stop mid run I presume that its like starting back from the very beginning (except I don't remove any forces again), so I put it back int reflux (I have a butler), then once its had its time to reflux I start my take off.

As for "is it hearts" again that depends on where you stopped the run. Just make note on your cut jar or note pad that it is the first jar after restart and once its had its breathing time (24-48 hours) you know where the first run finished (potentially hearts) and where the new run started, make your selection then; theres a good chance it will continue with heads, but there are so many variable that its a little hard (for me) to say definitely 'Yes it hearts" or no its not.

Don't sweat it... keep a record for your self and should it happen again you'll know... Consider it part of the learning...
EziTasting

Postby The Stig » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Mid last week I found a 5lt Demi that I had “lost” 2 years ago .
YUM YUM :happy-partydance:
I’m nearly out so I’m looking back at my notes go see what I did or didn’t do
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:48 pm

EziTasting wrote: (I have a butler),

Well laa di da, showing off now are we :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby EziTasting » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Doubleuj wrote:
EziTasting wrote: (I have a butler),

Well laa di da, showing off now are we :laughing-rolling:

BUSTED! :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

Postby JayTee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 am

Hi guys,

I've searched high and low and we don't seem to be able to get Lowans yeast in the uk. I've just ordered NIL Dcl Saf Levure Active Dried Yeast instead (which is a dried bakers' yeast too):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008MH6FQQ/ ... 11_TE_item

It seems to be equivalent to Lowans, so I'm presuming I can use this in the same quantity?

One more question please: the original recipe suggest raw sugar. Is there any reason I shouldn't substitute dextrose in the same quantity, because I just happen to have a fair bit in at the moment?

Thanks for your advice, as usual :-)

JT
JayTee

equipment: 4 plate bubbler

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:59 am

I think the yeast would be fine, I've used a couple different bakers yeasts and they seem to work. If your going to the trouble of ordering online you could alway go for a specialty rum yeast? In saying that I'm not really up with the specialty yeasts, you'll have to look into that. I have heard safspirits are ok.

You could use dextrose but I recon your better off with raw sugar as it's a flavor thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby JayTee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks Woodduck. I've also got one of the Still Spirits Rum Distillers Yeast but I'm not sure whether I want to use this because their suggested basic recipe seems to call for using their Turbo Carbon product. I'm not sure whether this is indicative of Still Spirits trying to sell an unnecessary product, or whether there's something funny about their yeast i.e. introducing unwanted flavours that need to be stripped out with the carbon
JayTee

Postby Rush006 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:01 pm

JayTee wrote:Thanks Woodduck. I've also got one of the Still Spirits Rum Distillers Yeast but I'm not sure whether I want to use this because their suggested basic recipe seems to call for using their Turbo Carbon product. I'm not sure whether this is indicative of Still Spirits trying to sell an unnecessary product, or whether there's something funny about their yeast i.e. introducing unwanted flavours that need to be stripped out with the carbon

Ive used that yeast in the past and as long as you stick to the basic recipe and keep your wash around the 10% it produces a good drop. Ive been using a rum specific yeast called Distilamax RM (493EDV) Craft Distillery Rum yeast and am very happy with what i am producing. It is expensive compared to lowans but i think its worth the money as i got ito this to make the best possible rum i can.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Rush006 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:04 pm

My oldest barrel is coming up to 9 months and had a little sample the other day and it is unbelievable :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D :D
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby JayTee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks. Looks like Distilamax RM isn't sold in the uk either
JayTee

Postby JayTee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 am

Rush006 - Not sure I'll be able to wait 9 months for mine ... :-)
JayTee

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development