Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby Dominator » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Agreed but if it sat at 34° for a day or two? I don't reckon that is a problem. Just take any heat or blankets off and let it drop back to sub 30's and that will be fine I'm sure.

Yeah thats what I done. I thought it was all good until I ran it today. Something wrong though. :crying-blue: So everyone says not to bother using a hydrometer with rum washes. How do you check if the wash is done?

I put my 4th gen rum on last friday. 55L, 6L molasses, 6kg white sugar, 10L dunder, epsom salts and a couple of table spoons of tomato paste. Heat belt and blanket and it bubbled away as per usual. Like I said earlier it did get a bit warm but it kept bubbling for a couple of days after so I figured it was all good. Last night it had slowed right down, this morning it had stopped. (one bubble through the airlock every minute or so) I just put 25-30L through my pot still but only got 1L of spirit. :o :shock:

I only got my ph meter yesterday. I just checked the rest of the wash in the fermenter and it is 3.6. So I have dissolved 1 table spoon of bicarb in a cup of water and chucked that in. I also mixed a table spoon of tomato paste in some water and added that. I will check the ph in an hour or so. What do you think?

Also what should I do with the stuff I have just run. If the wash has not finished than I assume there is quite a bit of sugar left. Should I wait for the stuff left in my boiler to cool and put it back in the fermenter or is it a write off and i should just chuck what I got from the still in with my feints?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby _TK_ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Have any one used as yeast nutrients: amonium sulfate ? - I'm positive it can be bought as a fertiliser - a single compound one (without K and P in the mix)
Plus some Epsom salt and vitamin B

I'm trying to find cheap alternative to yest nutrients from LHBS and avoid to use TP for molasses wash
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Postby scarecrow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 pm

tkwasik wrote:I'm trying to find cheap alternative to yest nutrients from LHBS and avoid to use TP for molasses wash

Molasses has all the nutrients needed for a wash. No need to add anything else.

scarecrow
scarecrow

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser
80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Rum

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 am

scarecrow wrote:
tkwasik wrote:I'm trying to find cheap alternative to yest nutrients from LHBS and avoid to use TP for molasses wash

scarecrow

Not enough nitrogen apparently, that's why some DAP is handy to help the yeast tuck in.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am

Or a little tomato paste ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Rum

Postby Dominator » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:
scarecrow wrote:

scarecrow

Not enough nitrogen apparently, that's why some DAP is handy to help the yeast tuck in.

Molasses has sufficient nutrients to ferment out fully. Adding DAP or some tomato paste will add extra nutrients and help the wash ferment faster.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 am

Yes but just barely . I've had washes take three or four weeks and some take 4 days , guess which way was faster . I use to add TP and then I stopped . I feel that was a mistake and will be going back to adding some form of nitrogen :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby unsub » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm

I've started using DAP and epsom salts in my rum washes and they are going much better now. I have also recently started worrying about PH and that has made a big difference in my ferments.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Does anyone think that having a faster ferment would increase unwanted flavours? Compared to a low and slow wash.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby unsub » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I can knock out 40l of rum wash in 7 days, about 4-5 to ferment and a couple to settle. I haven't noticed any difference in flavour or smell.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby MacStill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:19 pm

The warmer & quicker (4 - 5 days @ around 30ish C) it ferments the more I enjoy my rum, the long slow ferments seem to lack complexity IMHO.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 5 o'clock » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I have been looking through this thread while watching my spirit run.

I have been trying to find a rough guide to cuts but can't see one.

I started with about 18 litres at 40% including a bit of unstripped wash.

Threw away a generous portion of foreshots and started collecting at 80%.

Yield dropped slowly to about 74% but is now rapidly decreasing and is currently about 65%.

When do I forget about collecting in cuts jars and just keep it as unusable tails to throw in with the next strip?

Thanks,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby Camikaze » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Just collect the whole lot in cuts jars until you get the hang of it all mate. Use your sniffer to cut them after a day of airing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I put 60l rum wash into 2 x 30L fermenters. They sit in the garage throughout 32-34 degree days. Finish in approx 4-5 days every time, no nutes added. Fuck its a good drop too. :-p
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Bucky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

G'day Lads, This is a question for the guys that clarify their molasses. if the recipe says say 5L of molasses, do you use 5l of molasses then clarify or would you use 5l of the finished product?

Cheers guys oh yeah my first ever wash is going down tonight 60L of MacRum winning

Dave
Bucky

equipment: samohon style pot still

Postby satchy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Question guys ive done one strip run 5ltr gave me 20% so I did another one today with gen2 dunder but thought I would add 2 liters of 40% I had on Oak which I made from my old reflux that I want happy with as I now have a copper pot still

But check out the color ?

@5 litersthe abv was still at 35% so I stopped it

The color started changing around 4liters on this one

Any ideas why this happened ?

satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Postby Milky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Puking.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Milky wrote:Puking.

:text-+1:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby satchy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Ok so reading Alittle is because of sugars not fermented ??

Is this still usable ?
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:16 pm

satchy wrote:Ok so reading Alittle is because of sugars not fermented ??

Is this still usable ?

Thats fine Satchy, its only a strip run,
Add it to the rest to your low wines when you do your spirit run and it will be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm

satchy wrote:Ok so reading Alittle is because of sugars not fermented ??

Is this still usable ?

Kimbo wrote:Thats fine Satchy, its only a strip run,
Add it to the rest to your low wines when you do your spirit run and it will be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: A bit of puke in your low wines is no problem. Also, it is not necessarily because there was unfermented sugar in your wash. Rum does tend to puke easily. If you keep having problems, a tablespoon of cooking oil or butter in the boiler with your wash will help prevent frothing.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development