Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby satchy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks guys yeah reading Alittle more Mac said it actually should make a nice drop Alittle puke

I think I forgot to add some distillers conditioner ;)

Wahhooooooo rum
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 pm

satchy wrote:
Wahhooooooo rum

Only if it's distilled in the pacific :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Rum

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 pm

satchy wrote:Thanks guys yeah reading Alittle more Mac said it actually should make a nice drop Alittle puke

I think I forgot to add some distillers conditioner ;)

Wahhooooooo rum

You don't need distillers conditioner unless you mean a teaspoon of olive oil. Save your dosh, use that instead.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby satchy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks backyard love this forum :)

Question for Mac I would really like to see a thankyou button implied below the post so we can show appreciation to others for helping fellow members like other forums I belong to any chance we could do this mate :)
satchy

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:18 pm

satchy wrote: I would really like to see a thankyou button implied below the post so we can show appreciation to others for helping fellow members like other forums I belong to any chance we could do this mate :)

Yeah mate, there is a big yellow button that says "donate" and you get a cool blue jacket and another level of access :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby satchy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 am

No dude im talking about thanking members I don't mind donating at all but being able Thank a post is a real simple ask ?
satchy

Postby greenguy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:03 am

26 pages of Rum talk
fuck it I'm gona whack down a 200 litre ferment iv been drink bourbon for far too long time for a change
Bring on the rum :teasing-nutkick:
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Rum

Postby kingy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:27 am

greenguy wrote:26 pages of Rum talk
fuck it I'm gona whack down a 200 litre ferment iv been drink bourbon for far too long time for a change

You won't be disappointed I'd try a smaller wash first to make sure the molasses you get ferments well.
Unless you do that and build up to a 200 of course.

My first lot of molasses struggled to ferment, it got there but nowhere near as much as the next lot I got from a different shop.

The lot that really fired up was the best tasting also. Mmmm rum lol
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby Dominator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 am

greenguy wrote:26 pages of Rum talk

Like kingy said. Start with a 50L ferment and build up to 200. A first gen rum, while it is nice, is nowhere near as good as a 3rd+ generation. When I step up to a 200L fermenter I will put 50 down as my first gen, 100 as 2nd gen then 200 as my 3rd gen. That way you don't need shit loads of yeast. You just build your yeast bed up over the generations.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Rum

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:57 am

satchy wrote:Thanks backyard love this forum :)

Question for Mac I would really like to see a thankyou button implied below the post so we can show appreciation to others for helping fellow members like other forums I belong to any chance we could do this mate :)

No worries mate, it's just another home brew shop sales scam. No need for it in a well fermented wash, just a drop or three of olive oil is all you need.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby _TK_ » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Is any1 tried to use Still Spirits Rum Distillers Yeast (single culture rum strain with amyloglucosidae) for this recipe?

Happens I have 2 packets of it, and thinking of using them. I have back set from first gen, done with bakers yeast, but I do not have yeast cake from ferment - long story short: after ferment have finished I transferred wash into plastic bottles for storage while waiting for still..

I'm just looking for some feedback on this yeasts...

The other day I used same brand but for vodka (SS Distillers Yeast Vodka) with TPW and it did not start.. so after 2 days I have added bakers yeast to fermenter and it started in one hour !!
just not sure if it is complete waste of money or just have bad luck
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Postby Petulance » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 pm

I put down two 50 litre rum washes last Friday.

5 litres molasses
5 kg raw sugar
2 teaspoons of citric acid
water to 50 litres
200 grams of bakers yeast
Stir like crazy... pump as much air through it as my puny little arms will let me.

Man is that a thick wash!

It's bubbling along slowly.

I've just ordered some DAP (HBSs had no idea what I was talking about) from anpros.com.au (I got 5 kilos for $69.00 including postage ... that should do me for life) I'll being using yeast bombs in future to try to increase fermentation speed (I ain't gots no patience ... or patients).

The thickness of the wash has me thinking I'll add a couple of litres of neutral to the boiler before distilling. While I might lose a bit of the alcohol, it seems like there will be enough flavour in that wash to leech some out into the neutral. We'll see.

This is one fun hobby.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Petulance wrote:I put down two 50 litre rum washes last Friday.

5 litres molasses
5 kg raw sugar
2 teaspoons of citric acid
water to 50 litres
200 grams of bakers yeast
Stir like crazy... pump as much air through it as my puny little arms will let me.

Man is that a thick wash!

It's bubbling along slowly.

I've just ordered some DAP (HBSs had no idea what I was talking about) from anpros.com.au (I got 5 kilos for $69.00 including postage ... that should do me for life) I'll being using yeast bombs in future to try to increase fermentation speed (I ain't gots no patience ... or patients).

The thickness of the wash has me thinking I'll add a couple of litres of neutral to the boiler before distilling. While I might lose a bit of the alcohol, it seems like there will be enough flavour in that wash to leech some out into the neutral. We'll see.

This is one fun hobby.

Next time you put this down, bump your sugar and molasses up to 6kg and 6L, at the moment your at about 10%ABV, 6kg/L will push it up to 12%. Still within the limits of bakers yeast but will get you a better yield.

Also, once you add some nutrients to the wash it will ferment a lot better. I couldn't believe the difference when I but nutrients in mine.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby ozybottler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Hey Mac just took a ltr of oak arfter 2 months and taste dam fine :handgestures-thumbupleft: good recipe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes mate it is a good drink after some time on oak, I'm on a batch now that's going 18 months old & it's fantastic :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Well it's spring and the nights are warmer now so it's time to start my annual rum fermenting, I dont generally ferment much during the cold months so it's pretty good to be putting my first rum wash down after around 6 months :happy-partydance:

Here's my yeast bomb getting going after 10 minutes :dance:

20130924_180522.jpg

Wash all mixed up, aerated and starting to fizz around an hour later :happy-partydance:

20130924_181921.jpg

Just gotta keep an eye on it for the next few hours, knowing my molasses wash's this one's prolly gunna try climb out of the fermenter the way it's started bubbling, fizzing & farting after only an hour :doh:

Will update with more pics in the next hour as I check on it, reckon you'll all shit when you see how active my rum ferments are :laughing-rolling:

Just hope it stays in the drum :pray:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 pm

A reminder from last year :laughing-rolling:

MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby JayD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 pm

it might be a active ferment but the end result is great...ours has just turned four weeks in age, we removed all our american oak, heavily chared two sticks returned them to the ageing vessell and added some extra flavours...in a couple of days we are going to aireate it for a week at a time between tasting...we have a control bottle sitting on the shelf we decanted today to compare with... :handgestures-thumbupleft: yo ho ho we got some of Macs rumbo...be fitting any pirate... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 pm

whoops :laughing-rolling:

IMG_0951.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby JayD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 pm

stop it Mac your bringing back memories of sticky toes...ewww. :teasing-neener:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development