Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

Postby stretch69 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Mate that wash must have cost a fortune to make. That's the only thing that puts me off trying this but people seem to say it's good!.
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:57 am

It did.

I want ready for all grain.
I am now so future runs will cost bugger all at $1/kg.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby stretch69 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:24 am

I'm keen to get into all grain too. There doesn't seem to be as many scotch recipes as there are bourbon ones.
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 am

The recipe for Scotch (single malt) = 100% malt Barley. Done :)
Lots to play with in respect to yeast(s), sparging temps, distillation and oaks etc.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby OzKev » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:22 am

You also get to play with which type of grain is used in the peated malt and how much phenols ppm, which base malt and which ratio of peated to base. Also ogee design is something I'm starting to play with. Will it ever stop ~x(
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby MacStill » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 pm

OzKev wrote:You also get to play with which type of grain is used in the peated malt and how much phenols ppm, which base malt and which ratio of peated to base. Also ogee design is something I'm starting to play with. Will it ever stop ~x(

Yes, well pointed out Kev :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Dyno » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Long time between drinks in this thread. Anyone have any updates on their brew? Have just got all the ingredients together to put down 80l tmw so fingers crossed it all comes together.
The local bloke who owns the HBS got me onto some nice pungent Bairds Peated Malt and did ok from a local" brew your own beer" on the malt.Eased the wallet drain a little.....be interested to here others results.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Ive got some at 18 months, tasted it the other day, its very good, I dont think I will make it again its too expensive compared to a Sugarhead or the real thing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Dyno » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:25 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Ive got some at 18 months, tasted it the other day, its very good, I dont think I will make it again its too expensive compared to a Sugarhead or the real thing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yup, It is pretty expensive. I paid $120 for the LME, $40 for the peated malt, $180 for a 10L barrell and about $25 for the yeast. Thats for 100L of wash. Its fermented out well so I think next weekend will be a busy one. The wash is pretty heavy on the peat but I guess it will settle a bit. I hope so. Smells an tastes bloody good though.
Dyno

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Dyno wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:Ive got some at 18 months, tasted it the other day, its very good, I dont think I will make it again its too expensive compared to a Sugarhead or the real thing. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yup, It is pretty expensive. I paid $120 for the LME, $40 for the peated malt, $180 for a 10L barrell and about $25 for the yeast. Thats for 100L of wash. Its fermented out well so I think next weekend will be a busy one. The wash is pretty heavy on the peat but I guess it will settle a bit. I hope so. Smells an tastes bloody good though.

Where did you get the barrel from?(if its ok to ask)
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Dyno » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:45 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Dyno wrote:

Where did you get the barrel from?(if its ok to ask)

The wife bought it on ebay from a Melbourne vendor. I cudn give you the exact person though.
Dyno

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:43 am

The barrel do they use used barrels for Scotch.
wynnum1

Postby Dyno » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 am

wynnum1 wrote:The barrel do they use used barrels for Scotch.

There sposed to be used barrells but try finding a 10L used one. Rare as rocking horse shit. May just experimernt with a small amount of port. Well see how it goes. My partner wants to order a 3 or 4 more so we might try an soak them prior with some port an a neutral maybe. Dunno yet. Its gonna blow out the cost doing that but a good learning curve I guess.
Dyno

Postby coffe addict » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 am

I've used a barrel and put port in for a few months to season it. The rum that followed was great but I think it would have been too much for whiskey straight after the port.
I think after one rum batch it would be perfect for whisky
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby ClubNed » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi all,

I've just received all the goodies to put this wash down, but I have a question re the grain and also for when I run it through the still.

The recipe says the grain should be rough cut. Can I get away with a nutri-bullet (don't laugh) to chop the 2kg of grain up enough? (I know, it will take a few runs through the wifes nutri-bullet which hopefully she wont notice...)
I work in a feed mill, so I know about milling grain, but there's no way I could get 2kg even onto the mill, let alone try to collect the milled grain lol (I do, however have an unlimited supply of milled corn, wheat and barley :)) )

Next question... I have a basic pot still with a 2" column that's 3' high. I have it packed with copper mesh and it works great with tpw to make good neutral (strip run and then 2x spirit runs).
When I run this wash should I remove the packing so it doesn't strip the flavour? Should I do a strip run with packing then a spirit without (with usual cuts)?

Just after some guidance with this as its the first time I've done something on grain with a goal of flavour (and not tying to remove flavour (neutral) or adding botanical flavour (gin).)

Thanks in advance :-D

s
ClubNed

equipment: Repurposed Birko urn boiler, 50mm x 900mm column with straight condenser
(20mm inside 50mm, copper).

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Personally would not use packing for stripping or spirit runs with a pot still...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Dyno » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:25 pm

I did a rough cut in the thermomix mate. Maybe a kilo at a time. Just a few quick pulses. Keep checking after each pulse. You dont want dust. I also steeped in a grain bag, saves fking around tryin to seive it out.
With yr pot rip out all yr packing so you can get max flavour and go deep on yr strip so you get a good peat /malt carry over. Thats where you ll get the flavour from. Ill be running mine this weekend so post back when yr done and weell compare fkups.. :)) :))
Dyno

Postby ClubNed » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 am

Will do Dyno :-D

I'll be taking my 2 TPW's out of the heated fridge on the weekend so they can clear and i'll be putting this wash down probably on sunday.

Thanks for the advice and yep, ill post back with results :)

Thanks again.

s
ClubNed

equipment: Repurposed Birko urn boiler, 50mm x 900mm column with straight condenser
(20mm inside 50mm, copper).

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:22 am

Dyno wrote:I did a rough cut in the thermomix mate. Maybe a kilo at a time. Just a few quick pulses. Keep checking after each pulse. You dont want dust. I also steeped in a grain bag, saves fking around tryin to seive it out.
With yr pot rip out all yr packing so you can get max flavour and go deep on yr strip so you get a good peat /malt carry over. Thats where you ll get the flavour from. Ill be running mine this weekend so post back when yr done and weell compare fkups.. :)) :))

Is that your thermomix would be bad luck if some thing went wrong while processing grain.
wynnum1

Postby Dyno » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:20 pm

wynnum1 wrote:
Dyno wrote:I did a rough cut in the thermomix mate. Maybe a kilo at a time. Just a few quick pulses. Keep checking after each pulse. You dont want dust. I also steeped in a grain bag, saves fking around tryin to seive it out.

Is that your thermomix would be bad luck if some thing went wrong while processing grain.

haha...yeah, the Mrs brand new toy. 3 weeks old. I tell ya what, its got some grunt. I bought an extra kilo of malted grain to use for making bread and I whizzed it to a dust in less than 30 seconds. :)) :))
Dyno

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development